Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 07/11/2018

Blessed Weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme!
8 minutes ago, TomSE12 said:

Ahh Channel Lows, thanks Canadian Coops and Mizzle for spurring me on to write this, apologies it may get a bit, "War and Peace, as usual!!"

You "War and Peace" as much as you like, Tom. Always a fascinating read. You bring weather history to life and its appreciated. 

Having grown up in Somerset in the 70's and 80's, I experienced some exceptional winter snow in that time, and enjoy hearing any stories of how our winter weather has affected the South of England 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms

0.2c here and dropping fast. Very little wind! I wouldn't be surprised if we hit -4c by the early hours tomorrow morning.

5 minutes ago, MagicBat said:

0.2c here and dropping fast. Very little wind! I wouldn't be surprised if we hit -4c by the early hours tomorrow morning.

Farnborough apparently already reporting -4 I'm wondering if -6 was to Conservative!! 

Hard ground frost here already and thick ice in the water butts this is next best weather to snow in my opinion! 

Posted
1 minute ago, Surrey said:

Farnborough apparently already reporting -4 I'm wondering if -6 was to Conservative!! 

Hard ground frost here already and thick ice in the water butts this is next best weather to snow in my opinion! 

Hi Surrey, wow -4 in Farnborough already! Super cold night. I'm on the Herts/Essex boarder. Just dipped below freezing -0.2!

Posted
41 minutes ago, Mark said:

Just watched the 0756 BBC News weather, and they showed the lying snow on the weather map (where there were clear skies). First time I've seen that. Anyone seen that before? 

Not much to report from it though, apart from its apparently going to be 10C in London on Friday...

Yes, seen that on the BBC weather. Though he had to point it out as it looked the same as the fog and the cloud. They need to get that sorted, it's 2019 fgs.

Speaking of forecasts, just watched the MET'S 10 day trend on YouTube. The good news is it looks like that bloody high has finally done one. He said there's going to be basically everything everywhere, rain, snow, ice, sun etc. Seriously,its well worth a look. They are literally forecasting everything!!!

Chance of easterlies late next week, just a chance at this stage he said 

And only one pressure chart shown through the whole 6 minute broadcast. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Now as I stated above, my favourite "Channel Low" event but in fact  a contradiction  to what I've posted above. I shall refer to it as a "reverse Channel Low". The Synoptics during Christmas week 1978, featured Atlantic Lows taking an evermore Southerly track, allied to height rises just south of Greenland, the scene was set for an impressive snowstorm for the Midlands and South. See chart below for New Years Eve, 1978.

image.thumb.png.4e6af4ba32fcc06185a4797c6ea6e118.png

Bitterly cold weather had encroached into the North of the UK over Christmas but our turn was to come and "boy", did it come!! I was working for a Bookmaker's in East Dulwich, S.E.London. I left for work feeling very excited as the Raio 4 Forecast suggested a rain to snow event, in the evening. I can vividly remember watching the last race at Market Rasen (Lincs), that day. I noticed snow falling during that last race, no doubt snow showers blown in from the North Sea on that ever strengthening East wind, ahead of the main event. Actually, as opposed to that Radio 4 Forecast, it was an all snow event.  To this day, it still remains the most severe spell of snow I've witnessed, when taking into account, the strength of the East wind. The snow was very fine and powdery and falling at temperatures, well below freezing. I'd been out after work for a drink with a couple of colleagues. When I finally returned home at around midnight, Bromley resembled, "The Retreat From Moscow". I couldn't see the pathway to my front door, due to the amount of drifting!! The following day was bright, sunny but bitterly cold and still very windy. Great billows of snow were blown off rooves and cars and snow ploughs had to make a couple of sweeps down our main road, to keep it clear!! I'd never seen a snow plough in action on Bromley's roads, before.

Regards,

Tom. :hi:

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
31 minutes ago, TomSE12 said:

Ahh Channel Lows, thanks Canadian Coops and Mizzle for spurring me on to write this, apologies it may get a bit, "War and Peace, as usual!!"

:hi:

Ah thanks Tom! Hopefully we won’t have to draw on charts from so long ago - you never know we may have a 2019 Classic for the memories.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms

Temperature here 0.6c, with a small sparkle of frost beginning to appear. A few patches of ice are also forming in small puddles.

6757FF5B-60C2-4268-8C79-B5FC48F6F6A2.jpeg

Posted
18 minutes ago, Mark said:

You "War and Peace" as much as you like, Tom. Always a fascinating read. You bring weather history to life and its appreciated. 

Having grown up in Somerset in the 70's and 80's, I experienced some exceptional winter snow in that time, and enjoy hearing any stories of how our winter weather has affected the South of England 

Thanks for those very kind words, neighbour. I would've invited you to that Ian Currie talk at our over-60's Group, at St.Mildred's Church. It was on a Friday morning in November but I remember reading, that you worked. You didn't have to be a Church goer, I had the option of inviting guests. Perhaps another time, they really are worth seeing. Today Ian has kindly agreed to perform a talk where my Wife Colette works, in a Residential Care Home, in Elmstead Lane, Chislehurst.

Regards,

• Like 4

Posted
46 minutes ago, Mark said:

I grew up in Somerset in the 70s and 80s too:) I remember some great snow events and particularly deep deep snowdrifts up the hedgerows from one in the early 80s; our cul-de-sac stayed iced over for days as the slushy snow froze.

Very nippy out there tonight. I headed off at 6pm for my son's parents evening at college but the car already had a light covering of frost despite it showing 1 degree on the car temperature. Returning at 8pm the frost had started to re-form in very cold air with a clear sky and stars overhead. It's going to be an icy night, wrap up warm chaps and chapesses.

And yes Tom, keep doing what you're doing, your insights are always a delight to read:)

Edited by Reefseeker
  • Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, snowblind said:

Only made it to 1.5c here. Predicted temps have been a couple of degrees too high most days this week.

This has always been a problem I’m not sure if they inflate temperature apparently it’s based on ECM but I see the data and it doesn’t match with BBC. Often you watch broadcasts and think what cold spell? 

Posted
39 minutes ago, TomSE12 said:

Now as I stated above, my favourite "Channel Low" event but in fact  a contradiction  to what I've posted above. I shall refer to it as a "reverse Channel Low". The Synoptics during Christmas week 1978, featured Atlantic Lows taking an evermore Southerly track, allied to height rises just south of Greenland, the scene was set for an impressive snowstorm for the Midlands and South. See chart below for New Years Eve, 1978.

image.thumb.png.4e6af4ba32fcc06185a4797c6ea6e118.png

Bitterly cold weather had encroached into the North of the UK over Christmas but our turn was to come and "boy", did it come!! I was working for a Bookmaker's in East Dulwich, S.E.London. I left for work feeling very excited as the Raio 4 Forecast suggested a rain to snow event, in the evening. I can vividly remember watching the last race at Market Rasen (Lincs), that day. I noticed snow falling during that last race, no doubt snow showers blown in from the North Sea on that ever strengthening East wind, ahead of the main event. Actually, as opposed to that Radio 4 Forecast, it was an all snow event.  To this day, it still remains the most severe spell of snow I've witnessed, when taking into account, the strength of the East wind. The snow was very fine and powdery and falling at temperatures, well below freezing. I'd been out after work for a drink with a couple of colleagues. When I finally returned home at around midnight, Bromley resembled, "The Retreat From Moscow". I couldn't see the pathway to my front door, due to the amount of drifting!! The following day was bright, sunny but bitterly cold and still very windy. Great billows of snow were blown off rooves and cars and snow ploughs had to make a couple of sweeps down our main road, to keep it clear!! I'd never seen a snow plough in action on Bromley's roads, before.

Regards,

Tom, I love these archive charts that you produce, you don’t see models with these type of sypnotics anymore. Please keep them coming! 

• Like 3

Posted

Thanks Tom, some lovely anecdotes! 

A high of just 1.0c here today, came home from work early at lunchtime due to a mid-afternoon appointment to find our footsteps out to the car had been snowed over! All in all I think we had 2cm from last night and this morning’s snow which isn’t too shabby!

Currently overcast, temp -0.2c and DP -0.4c

• Like 3

Posted

Another "Channel Low" type event occurred on Boxing Day, 1927. See Archive chart below:

image.thumb.png.02bd69c46301a4dd7786dbc1e4c6b173.png

There are fascinating accounts of this event in Ian Curries, Kent and Surrey Weather Books. I'll now post up a few photos from those books, of that event. These are reproduced with the very kind permission of Ian Currie:

This photo below, is taken from the front cover of Ian's, Surrey Weather Book. It depicts a bus caught in a snowdrift, on the Farnham Road, just outside of Guildford. This was taken just after Boxing Day, 1927.

image.thumb.png.e6fad25faa58f10c9f477225836e5f59.png

The photos below are from Ian Currie's, Kent Weather Book and are reproduced with his very kind permission.

The photo below, is of the "Queens Head" Pub in Downe, near Biggin Hill, virtually buried in snow. This across the road from Charles Darwin's house. Again, taken after the Boxing Day blizzard of 1927.

image.thumb.png.1e7c2249c77fbab8438a9f2f37906f23.png

The photo below, shows the London to Rye bus, caught in a snowdrift at Dunton Green, just North of Sevenoaks, after the Boxing Day blizzard of 1927.

image.thumb.png.54b28d57a0d7f338bf6c46dc7c92f85e.png

Some parts of our region were engulfed in mild air from the low that caused the Boxing Day blizzard, 1927.

The photo below, is of a scene from Maidstone, which suffered from severe flooding:

image.thumb.png.932acc45429bf631ad4ccd3d41230271.png

The photo below, shows a patient being stretchered to safety after severe flooding affected Canterbury, during that Boxing Day storm, 1927.

image.thumb.png.641cbccdeee1dcd328937787a8446b36.png

Regards,

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Posted
19 minutes ago, TomSE12 said:

Another "Channel Low" type event occurred on Boxing Day, 1927. See Archive chart below:

image.thumb.png.02bd69c46301a4dd7786dbc1e4c6b173.png

There are fascinating accounts of this event in Ian Curries, Kent and Surrey Weather Books. I'll now post up a few photos from those books, of that event. These are reproduced with the very kind permission of Ian Currie:

This photo below, is taken from the front cover of Ian's, Surrey Weather Book. It depicts a bus caught in a snowdrift, on the Farnham Road, just outside of Guildford. This was taken just after Boxing Day, 1927.

image.thumb.png.e6fad25faa58f10c9f477225836e5f59.png

The photos below are from Ian Currie's, Kent Weather Book and are reproduced with his very kind permission.

The photo below, is of the "Queens Head" Pub in Downe, near Biggin Hill, virtually buried in snow. This across the road from Charles Darwin's house. Again, taken after the Boxing Day blizzard of 1927.

image.thumb.png.1e7c2249c77fbab8438a9f2f37906f23.png

The photo below, shows the London to Rye bus, caught in a snowdrift at Dunton Green, just North of Sevenoaks, after the Boxing Day blizzard of 1927.

image.thumb.png.54b28d57a0d7f338bf6c46dc7c92f85e.png

Some parts of our region were engulfed in mild air from the low that caused the Boxing Day blizzard, 1927.

The photo below, is of a scene from Maidstone, which suffered from severe flooding:

image.thumb.png.932acc45429bf631ad4ccd3d41230271.png

The photo below, shows a patient being stretchered to safety after severe flooding affected Canterbury, during that Boxing Day storm, 1927.

image.thumb.png.641cbccdeee1dcd328937787a8446b36.png

Regards,

Tom. 

Another amazing archive chart - a mid Atlantic high, I assume an undercutting low, low heights over the med and the Azores, cold air flooding in from the north east,  and the photos show the outcome. Why do rarely see charts or weather like this anymore?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme!
49 minutes ago, TomSE12 said:

Thanks for those very kind words, neighbour. I would've invited you to that Ian Currie talk at our over-60's Group, at St.Mildred's Church. It was on a Friday morning in November but I remember reading, that you worked. You didn't have to be a Church goer, I had the option of inviting guests. Perhaps another time, they really are worth seeing. Today Ian has kindly agreed to perform a talk where my Wife Colette works, in a Residential Care Home, in Elmstead Lane, Chislehurst.

Regards,

Tom. 

I don't post much, but I read a lot, so I enjoy all the input I get from this forum. Thank you Tom. 

And thank you for thinking of me. I do get to work from home several days a week, so any opportunity to discovery new perspectives on our weather are always appreciated. 

• Like 1

Posted

All, do we have a chance of seeing any snow showers tomorrow morning? Earlier today the BBC were forecasting some light snow showers for our region. What's the consensus?

Posted
37 minutes ago, MagicBat said:

All, do we have a chance of seeing any snow showers tomorrow morning? Earlier today the BBC were forecasting some light snow showers for our region. What's the consensus?

Could see some, the ECM bring done a small area of wintry mixture in the early hours of tomorrow morning. Looks fairly active still so if it does come down I wouldn't be shocked to see some a little snow make it down here.

Posted

That would be a nice surprise to wake up to. I think we are not going to get an easterly or north easterly  at this stage. There seems to be no shifting the piece of vortex over Canada, which is just spewing out  low after low, giving the displaced high no chance to move northwards. I would love if someone could tell me this is going to change in February, but I just can't see it.

Still i will be happy enough if we get a couple of more events like Tuesday night. Of course I would love a raging blizzard that desposited upwards of 50 cms of snow widely across the region, but  we can't always get what we want!

Edited by Bricriu

Posted
7 minutes ago, Bricriu said:

That would be a nice surprise to wake up to. I think we are not going to get an easterly or north easterly  at this stage. There seems to be no shifting the piece of vortex over Canada, which is just spewing out  low after low, giving the displaced high no chance to move northwards. I would love if someone could tell me this is going to change in February, but I just can't see it.

Still i will be happy enough if we get a couple of more events like Tuesday night. Of course I would love a raging blizzard that desposited upwards of 50 cms of snow widely across the region, but  we can't always get what we want!

I wouldn't be happy if that's all we got, because I got pretty shafted with rain;...and rain...and rain!

All seriousness though, there is potential (despite my musing in the mod thread!) for our area if we can get a LP to run far enough south.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Fog, Frost, Storms and Rain if it rains like it means it.

@TomSE12 Thank you SO much for your amazing posts, charts and images. And lucky you to have experienced such exciting events. I will now be keeping eyes peeled for one of those infamous 'Channel Lows

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, kold weather said:

I wouldn't be happy if that's all we got, because I got pretty shafted with rain;...and rain...and rain!

All seriousness though, there is potential (despite my musing in the mod thread!) for our area if we can get a LP to run far enough south.

Sorry you missed out on Tuesday. I do hope you're right about an lp going far enough south.... The Icon, unlike the major models, seems to have been consistent in saying no to an Easterly or North Easterly. So if that model were to suddenly show one  develop in early February, i would start to take notice. I just fear though we are locked into this pattern now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Fog, Frost, Storms and Rain if it rains like it means it.

@TomSE12 From the GFS 00z ...is this kind of a Channel Low?  Or not, because it hasn't formed separately (i.e. it's not about where it is but more where it came from?)

gfsnh-0-150.png

Edited by Mizzle
Typo amended and expanded Q

36 minutes ago, Mizzle said:

@TomSE12 From the GFS 00z ...is this kind of a Channel Low?  Or not, because it hasn't formed separately (i.e. it's not about where it is but more where it came from?)

gfsnh-0-150.png

Yes that's almost a channel low although it's a little far north. Not to be taken seriously though as its in the realms of fantasy island.. 

The GFS 06z will be completely diffrent gfs also loves to blow low pressure up... 

Anyway cold now mild blip then maybe very cold and yet the milder rampers are trying thier best to get in... Most of them have vanished but 1 or 2 still trying to cling on.. HAHAHA

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1