IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 07/11/2018

Blessed Weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Well done CC,

That was a very educated guess!!

That man wins a "virtual" trip, to the snowiest location on the planet :clap:

I'll post up the charts of those events plus my own recollections and perhaps some more Ian Currie photos, if I can find some

Regards,

Tom.  :hi:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October
2 hours ago, Sussex Snowman said:

Sometimes I wish I lived in Norway. 

Or maybe Canada! My cousins aunty sent me this from Ottawa this morning!

Screenshot_20190121-124716_Messenger.jpg

• Like 7

Posted

Current Dew points looking a little bit lower ahead of the front than I think the models were predicting.. I think there could be more of a chance of some overnight heavy wet snow than currently expected

• Like 3

Posted
Just now, Buzzit said:

Current Dew points looking a little bit lower ahead of the front than I think the models were predicting.. I think there could be more of a chance of some overnight heavy wet snow than currently expected

If the ppn is on the heavy side, evaporation cooling could occur which would add to the snow formation  ❄️

• Like 2

Posted
10 minutes ago, TomSE12 said:

Well done CC,

That was a very educated guess!!

That man wins a "virtual" trip, to the snowiest location on the planet :clap:

I'll post up the charts of those events plus my own recollections and perhaps some more Ian Currie photos, if I can find some

Regards,

Thanks! I'll get my sledge  Those two dates certainly stick out as snowy/cold years 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
27 minutes ago, TomSE12 said:

There was an easterly gale causing heavy, drifting snow along the South Coast, Channel Islands and the extreme North of France.

Not true.
I have the radar images for that, South coasts got barely a dusting. The channel islands got hit bad but it was a big fail down here.

Posted
3 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Not true.
I have the radar images for that, South coasts got barely a dusting. The channel islands got hit bad but it was a big fail down here.

Seem to recall Brighton and that stretch of coastline had a very memorable event got a good dumping..

• Like 2

Posted
6 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Not true.

We got hit really bad in Hastings, think it was around 12th/13th March 2013 - I had to leave work early and have the next day off, there were some impressive snow drifts around and there were also cars buried in snow up on the Ridge (high part of Hastings).

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados

March 2013 was epic,I do love a channel low

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
2 minutes ago, TommyB said:

We got hit really bad in Hastings, think it was around 12th/13th March 2013 - I had to leave work early and have the next day off, there were some impressive snow drifts around and there were also cars buried in snow up on the Ridge (high part of Hastings).

You got quite lucky in that corner.

post-15177-0-34796800-1362988277.thumb.png.830458798ddc159352967c36a6ce13c2.pngpost-15177-0-54976200-1362992531.thumb.png.dd65696d3a6a328213c911bba72818ec.png

In the SW thread, we were all complaining about how badly they'd got it wrong due to the warnings put out.

• Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Mapantz said:

You got quite lucky in that corner.

post-15177-0-34796800-1362988277.thumb.png.830458798ddc159352967c36a6ce13c2.pngpost-15177-0-54976200-1362992531.thumb.png.dd65696d3a6a328213c911bba72818ec.png

In the SW thread, we were all complaining about how badly they'd got it wrong due to the warnings put out.

It was pretty epic!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

Hmmm. Latest gfs

56C492EA-8C5A-43A3-A53F-F1CD6F89EA0A.thumb.jpeg.843160e5868b5d15d6de7e40e697d5be.jpeg

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, chionomaniac said:

Hmmm. Latest gfs

56C492EA-8C5A-43A3-A53F-F1CD6F89EA0A.thumb.jpeg.843160e5868b5d15d6de7e40e697d5be.jpeg

Hirlam agrees, icon doing its own ting and to far south

If the hirlam is right.. @Steve Murrgetting a pasting tomorrow night with a little shift 

winteroverview_20190121_12_040.thumb.jpg.fa3abac27933935e32b7cb9ce5dbd2c8.jpg

Hirlam performed exceptionally well last year with regards to micro features and troughs.. Closely followed by arpege icon then strangley arome.. 

Edited by Surrey
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October
1 hour ago, TomSE12 said:

HI CC and Yamkin,

Have just been reading CC's post, can't remember March 2005, tbh. Of course in March 2013, a low nearly made it into the Channel but stayed over N.France . There was an easterly gale causing heavy, drifting snow along the South Coast, Channel Islands and the extreme North of France. March 2013 was the first time, since  1937 that March returned a lower CET (2.7c), than the official Winter months of Dec,Jan and Feb. 

Below, is the archive chart, for midnight 12th March, 2013:

image.thumb.png.2c359a6a51d5c9146dbfbd4b0c66bbd6.png

I'll post up another couple of examples of blizzard inducing Channel Lows. in a short while, that occurred on the same date.

These examples occurred on the 30th December, some 16 years apart. Can any member, name the years??

Regards,

I'm not sure if it was a channel low but I'm sure in February 8th or 9th 2007 we had a good snow event. I was living in Hatfield, Herts studying at Uni at the time. I didnt drive then so had to trudge an hour to my uni lectures/ to the shops in thick snow I had no suitable footwear and was drenched by the time I got there

In the morning Id awoken to find it snowing heavily we had around 6inches of snow in total as a band of rain hit the cold air in situ over the country. Back home further SE my parents in Dartford said they had had 3 to 4 inches atleast although it didn't settle for as long there. With the low ground/ urban heating effect which so often renders NW Kent snowless.

But after a snow starved 90s- mid 2000s period for us SE and EA folks it was a worthy event that sticks in my memory!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
1 hour ago, Buzzit said:

May be, but I think they more ght start rising as we have a west wind and cloud coming in now. Hopefully it won't rise though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Oh dear. I'm going to have to own up to being 24 hours out!! :oops:

At the time of the 1962 event, I was 7. My family and myself lived in Hayes, just south of Bromley, N.W.Kent. Dad was working for Southern Region Railways at the time, maintaining bridges and track. Dad was working near London Bridge that night but he and his colleagues had to abandon work, when the snow set in. Dad then had to wait for a train back to Hayes , he had missed the last train and the first train back to Hayes, was around 6 AM. He faced a long and very cold wait. Hayes is the terminus, on that line but when the train reached Elmers End, the stop before Hayes, the train could go no further. Dad told me that snow had drifted up to the level of the platforms. Elmers End station is about 3 and a half miles from where we lived and in normal weather conditions, would've taken Dad around an hour, to walk home. That Sunday morning, with snow drifting up to his knees at times, it took Dad over 3 hours, to walk home!!

00z  DEC.30th 1962

image.thumb.png.cbe3e51f0e92dce66932705e7296f0af.png

In  December 1978, I was working in East Dulwich, S,E.London and living with my parents between Grove Park and Bromley North . Coincidentally, the 1978 event also started on a Saturday evening. I had been having a drink with a couple of colleagues at a pub in East Dulwich and another one around the corher, in Camberwell. The snow started around 8 PM and I can vividly remember it blowing around and it took on the appearance of icing sugar.  The snow was very fine and powdery, as it was falling at very low temperatures. One of my colleagues gave me a lift home from Camberwell to the Grove Park/Bromley border. When we reached my home , the drifting was so great, that I couldn't make out the pathway, to my front door!! As I got out of the car and turned to face the wind, it was literally painful to breathe in. This is the most severe event I've witnessed, in terms of strength of wind combined with heavy snowfall!! As you can see from the archive chart below, the winds were very strong, indeed!!

00z  DEC.31st 1978

image.thumb.png.45447d8f2a7a535e1fcce1c759a5b83d.png 

Below a photo of a 65 bus destined for Chessington Zoo, taken at Hook (A243), after the heavy snowfall of 31st December, 1978.

This photo is reproduced with the kind permission of Ian Currie, co-author of the Surrey Weather Book.

image.thumb.png.cff5ebbcd16106b4fe5d5da0dd46c301.png

Regards,

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme!
9 minutes ago, shackforce said:

The Blood Moon last night in Kent ... 

2019_01.21-Blood-Moon-2-WEB.thumb.jpg.c9c9bce04dd99f2602553463ee831ddf.jpg

That is a fantastic photo!

The other one is good too, but I have one of my own 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms

Good evening! I managed to get an awesome display from the blood moon last night! It was definitely worth no sleep! (and cold feet & hands)

Today started on a very frosty note (thick, white frost that was on many surfaces) with a temperature of -1c. It climbed to around 6c today, and the frost has stuck around in the shaded spots. It looked very pretty this morning!

This must be a good omen

Who remembers the Thundersnow event with the cold front coming down from the North depositing 2-3 inches in the SE

What year was that- 2003!??? Cant be

well that night I was going Go karting for the sprints at buckmore park- started out as rain 5pm then snowed in the car park by 6..

Well tomorrow im go Karting again !

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1