Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 07/11/2018

Blessed Weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Morning all,

Up early with the Wife before she starts her early morning shift. Have just seen a recording of Weather For The Week Ahead with "Mr.Mild", Darren Bett. Despite mentioning the "S" word, he seemed to delight in telling us, "This will be NO, Beast From The East". No wonder he's so popular on this Forum. Not!! :nonono:

Really liking the UKMO this morning and their t120 chart is yet again a similar synoptic set-up to what happened on 7th February 1983.

UKMO (t120) JAN.24th. 

image.thumb.png.428d966ba9d6b78957b763e81d3940b4.png

After a similarly benign first couple of months of Winter '1982/83, there was an abrupt change when an area of low pressure dived down the N.Sea and parked itself, just to the S.E., of us. See archive chart below:

image.thumb.png.acc02ba6d983edef2faeac101df10278.png

I won't repeat all the details of the "Snow Chase" I went on with my first Wife. All the details of that event, appear in a post of 11 hours ago.

Although I wouldn't expect much joy, in my neck of the woods, too much Northerly component in the flow!! But if I was living in "Lottieland" (eastern most part of the North Downs), I'd be hoping the UKMO have called this correctly, after all it is only 5 days away. As my post of 11 hours ago states, this sort of flow in Feb.1983 dropped copious amounts of snow on Capel-le-Ferne, a village on top of the N.Downs, not a million miles away from Lottie. 

Have just seen the ECM run and they seem to want to play the "Party Pooper". We need that low to make a clean break and dive down the North Sea, a la UKMO. We don't want to see that little low that's formed between Scotland/Norway, on the 00z ICON. It's stopping the deeper cold from Continental Europe, backing westwards!! Hoping the 00z JMA rolling out now, will come to our rescue!!

Will be phoning local Meteorologist Ian Currie, later this morning, for his latest views. Won't be phoning him tonight, for fear of Colette's evening meal being ruined again!!

Regards,

Tom.  :hi:

Edited by TomSE12
  • Like 5

Posted

Morning

Be nice if it was right Tom, but time will tell as always. 

Not sure I dare look in the model thread this morning if Ben’s post is anything to go by. I think the oft repeated “get the cold in first” saying is worth remembering as snow surprises can pop up anywhere!

Current temp here 1.4c, DP -1c overcast and breezy from the SE.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, lottiekent said:

Morning

Not sure I dare look in the model thread this morning if Ben’s post is anything to go by. I think the oft repeated “get the cold in first” saying is worth remembering as snow surprises can pop up anywhere!

Just pipping you by 0.1c

D3CA3014-703D-4489-B387-6931A1E8850F.thumb.jpeg.2096b0a4b1c159f8bd489da6e533cd0e.jpeg

Some more PPN about 20 mins away

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, lottiekent said:

Morning

Hi Lottie,

Yes let's hope UKMO are right, if so your area SHOULD, do well. Ah Feb 1983, Capel resembled a Siberian wasteland!!

You would never have thought that Bromley and Capel were located in the same County, albeit they're a long way apart.

I have some lovely photos of my son and daughter (Antony and Hayley), up to their knees in snow at Capel, either Feb 1991 or 1994, I'm not sure. My children have the photos over in Chislehurst. I'll have to dig them out, as I nearly had to that day at Capel!! I also have some lovely photos of them feeding deer at a snow blanketed, Knole Park, Sevenoaks, again either Feb 1991 or 1994. We had a lovely day in Sevenoaks. Some of the photos are almost Lowryesque. Matchstick figures silhouetted against the snow covered landscape. Lots of people were sledging on the slopes around Knole Park. Plenty on dinner trays, black bin liners, anything they could lay their hands on. I'll have to post the photos up, when I can find them.

Regards,

Tom. :hi:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: weather, especially snow, and a lovely frost

Just had a few small flakes coming down, had to look very closely, but hey it's a start 

• Like 3

Posted

Yesterday's 12z JMA, was virtually identical to the 00z UKMO. Yesterday's JMA chart below with 00z UKMO, chart.

JMA Chart

image.thumb.png.804c56c5ea1eb6999088a9712491a9a2.png

00z UKMO Chart

image.thumb.png.eaa3343a45407dd6e1792ae56080edf1.png

Regards,

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados

And right on time,after the boom charts that have been showing for 3-4 days,the inevitable downgrades begin,might just be a wobble,but I can't help the nagging feeling that it's going wrong yet again,ecm has gone from us having snow and north easterlies,to a south westerly,you just can't make it up

• Like 2

Posted

Chillier this morning with similar conditions to yesterday, dry and calm. We had our first negative low last night since 15th Dec at -0.2C 

So at 09:00

Current Temp: 2.2C 

Real Feel: -4.8C

Posted

Winter of discontent ?

More like the Day 10 Winter

Have a feeling the Low that was in the Plains yesterday is not behaving like it was modelled to and this is why the Models are struggling. Lots of my friends out there were expecting a whole dumping of snow and only got a dusting, if the Projected modelling at T24 is all over the place what hope at T120

• Like 3

Posted
5 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

Winter of discontent ?

Have a feeling the Low that was in the Plains yesterday is not behaving like it was modelled to and this is why the Models are struggling. Lots of my friends out there were expecting a whole dumping of snow and only got a dusting, if the Projected modelling at T24 is all over the place what hope at T120

So true,everything so far has been 10 days away,cmon ecm,sort yourself out

• Like 2

Posted

CMA - Chinese Model is still showing consistency with the very cold air over UK/Ireland ❄️?️

anim_keu3.gif

anim_bye7.gif

Edited by yamkin
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !
40 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

Winter of discontent ?

quite !  winter of discontent should be in the swear filter on here !

Posted
6 minutes ago, Badgers01 said:

quite !  winter of discontent should be in the swear filter on here !

Along with potential

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny; chilly and sunny; thunderstorms; extreme

and in other news, share price of wilkinson sword has errr soared

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow (but who doesnt like that)

Thank you @Ben Lewis I’m sure things will definitely change in the next few days. It’s hard on a normal day with little ones let  alone little ones that can’t go in the cold. 

I have to admit I haven’t been to the mod thread this morning, I’ve seen little snippets on here so I can guess the general feel over there.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, Heavy snowfall, Thunder and lightning, Stormy weather

Snow has been for this morning has been forecasted for Thurrock wunderground but it has not materialised.

If it snows, this is what I would like to see.  The photo was taken on Sunday 5th February 2012

Sunday 5th February 2012.b.jpg

Edited by Katrine Basso
Description photo
  • Like 2

Posted

Think I’ll move back to Canada ❄️ lol . Keep the faith. It’ll snow this year. Maybe Dec this year

Edited by CanadianCoops

Posted
6 minutes ago, Bedfordblues73 said:

Lots of towels being thrown in on the Mod thread , Winter over etc.... might give it a miss for a while .......

Yes it's all going the going the way of the pear (again) seems to be the general vibe. 

Posted
  • Location: Chelsfield, Orpington (Kent / SE London) - 115m ASL
  • Location: Chelsfield, Orpington (Kent / SE London) - 115m ASL
1 hour ago, TomSE12 said:

Hi Lottie,

Yes let's hope UKMO are right, if so your area SHOULD, do well. Ah Feb 1983, Capel resembled a Siberian wasteland!!

You would never have thought that Bromley and Capel were located in the same County, albeit they're a long way apart.

I have some lovely photos of my son and daughter (Antony and Hayley), up to their knees in snow at Capel, either Feb 1991 or 1994, I'm not sure. My children have the photos over in Chislehurst. I'll have to dig them out, as I nearly had to that day at Capel!! I also have some lovely photos of them feeding deer at a snow blanketed, Knole Park, Sevenoaks, again either Feb 1991 or 1994. We had a lovely day in Sevenoaks. Some of the photos are almost Lowryesque. Matchstick figures silhouetted against the snow covered landscape. Lots of people were sledging on the slopes around Knole Park. Plenty on dinner trays, black bin liners, anything they could lay their hands on. I'll have to post the photos up, when I can find them.

Regards,

Hi Tom,

I suspect it was 1991 - I was at school in Sandwich at the time, which closed early as the snow started coming down and we barely made it home to Thanet before everything stopped and we were snowed in for a couple of days. That was the deepest and most disruptive snow, I believe, since 1987 and really sticks in my memory (mostly because I was so bored being stuck at home, I actually got completely up to date with my GCSE coursework before school reopened )

• Like 1