Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 07/11/2018

Blessed Weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Just want to quote Hotspur61, from yesterday evening:

Qoute:

"That would tie in nicely from the thoughts of Ian Currie who was kind enough to share his thoughts with TOMSE12 over last weekend".

Don't think the evolution to much colder weather (hopefully) is evolving quite the way Ian, envisaged.

He doesn't seem to be far off the mark when he suggested we may need a few "bites of the cherry" before we saw an Arctic sourced Northerly and also he didn't envisage strong blocking over Greenland being involved in the initial stages of a wintry outbreak but more likely to come courtesy of a strong mid-Atlantic ridge, allied to a low diving on a NW/SE, axis. That looks a pretty good call, at the moment.

I think Ian thought there would be a more definitive Northerly on the cards though, just after 20th/21st but I suppose that could still happen.

Also, some Models seem to want to develop an Easterly much sooner than Ian anticipated. He thought that an Easterly would be more likely as we move further into February and that it was no guarantee but I'm sure we wouldn't complain if it appeared a few weeks, earlier.

I've just remembered another couple Meteorological projects Ian said he's been involved with. (Sorry but he told me so much on Sunday evening.)  He supplies Weather Forecasts to Waitrose Supermarket.

He also appeared in an ITN special, during an Anniversary programme of the October 1987, great windstorm. 

I'm not sure what "Forecasting Tools" Ian uses, to produce a forecast. I know he looks at all the Forecast Models on a daily basis.

He may well pay a subscription for additional information or just look at the sort of information, we can all view.

The next time I phone Ian I will ask him. Also which Forecast Model does he pay most attention to? I would expect him to say the UKMO. I will also ask him how he rates the GFS and ECM Models?

I must remember not to call him when my Wife is about to dish dinner up though, otherwise another "culinary car-crash", could happen!!

Regards,

Tom. :hi:

Edited by TomSE12
  • Like 3

Posted

I think we might see a few flakes in favoured spots (namely higher ground), but looking at the dew points:

pointrosee_uk_byo7.png

the coldest of them are behind the trough, and given the time of day I suspect we may be just the wrong side of daylight to see much in the way of wintryness apart from in any heavier bursts....we’ll see! Maybe something on the back edge closer to sea level...

Edited by snowking
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

It's... It's SNOWING.

• Like 6

Posted

There's a good deal of agreement with the models this morning and looks like we might be in for some exciting times coming up. Croydon council have even cleaned all the streetlights in anticipation

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold

Don’t worry it’s only a small shower. Nothing yet to suggest the Thames freezing over ?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.
13 minutes ago, shotski said:

Don’t worry it’s only a small shower. Nothing yet to suggest the Thames freezing over ?

oh geez. It was quite a heavy shower and it was SNOW. Yay I've seen some snow. Right bring on summer 

Edited by Dami
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, gales, all extreme weather really!

Wow, some actual weather after 4 weeks of a grey lid- a snowy surprise. That's me snow fixed until 2020 then. Now can we maybe have something resembling a thunderstorm this year please as well?

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms
5 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

Waiting patiently here at home for the snow-

Days 8/9/10 are my days off next week ❄️❄️☃️☃️☃️

If the charts verify, you may be off for a considerably larger amount of time next week... :yahoo:

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, gales, all extreme weather really!

Pouring with snow as im going through Hitchin, was not expecting this. Will come to nothing but how refreshing to have some winter! Next week for some more? 

• Like 2

Posted

The radar has just switched from rain to snow for the SE - not sure if this is a computer error or suddenly just hit cold enough air to turn it to snow. Seems strange

Posted
Just now, CanadianCoops said:

The radar has just switched from rain to snow for the SE - not sure if this is a computer error or suddenly just hit cold enough air to turn it to snow. Seems strange

Well it’s raining so that’s a mistake I think aha

• Like 1