Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 07/11/2018

Blessed Weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

Some precipitation fell here for about one minute this afternoon and right now there is a breeze.
Finally some weather happened. Slightly. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

A few more photos, taken from Ian Currie's excellent Kent County Weather book. The first photo shows a family making their way up Dargetts Hill, Walderslade (near Bluebell Hill, Kent) with vital supplies. The second photo of a closed and deserted stretch of the M20, in Kent. Both photos taken during the severe and wintry spell of January 1987.

image.thumb.png.bf32efd6025c5b946222e981e34ac424.png

The photo below, shows an abandoned line of traffic, on the road between Dover and Deal, this was taken after an easterly gale caused huge snowfalls, throughout Kent. The date was 19th Feb,1969.

image.thumb.png.e0d0de05125ef16a0f8849085b99773a.png            image.thumb.png.4013b234c10ee94b7a56792fe59b6186.png The z500 chart associated with that event.

Finally a much more modest snow scene, from my manor. A 161 bus struggles across Chislehurst Common, during the snowfall of 8th January, 2003. The heaviest January snowfall for 12 years:

image.thumb.png.743538c85efe25ffda874f93d0dae01b.png     image.thumb.png.62cb6c08975ac28aaa038723e6ddfc4f.png

A "Thames Streamer" event, I remember well.

I've posted these photos with the very kind permission of Ian Currie.

Regards,

Tom. :hi:

PS. Notice just a modest "wedge" of heights, on the chart associated with that Jan.2003, "Thames Streamer". You don't need much!!

Edited by TomSE12
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

Still a chance of a few flakes on Wednesday, HIRLAM actually going for a dusting.

hirlam-42-43-0.png

hirlam-45-48-0.png

Edited by snowray
  • Like 1

Posted

For those of you that have seen the weather forecasts on Good Morning Britain this morning. Really lovin' Laura Tobin's husky voice:give_rose: The gorgeous Laura could repeat the forecast to me, all day long in that voice!! Even if it were to be unbearably mild!!

image.thumb.png.249f62229f3292f774e14af7e168d6c7.png

Regards,

Tom.  :hi:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
12 hours ago, lassie23 said:

you left your melons behind

Melons are boring, I prefer courgettes 

• Like 2

Posted
11 hours ago, snowray said:

Still a chance of a few flakes on Wednesday, HIRLAM actually going for a dusting.

hirlam-42-43-0.png

hirlam-45-48-0.png

If you believe what that shows it would give me a dusting :yahoo:  although I'm 99.9% certain it won't happen :wallbash:

Edited by Matty88

Posted
55 minutes ago, TomSE12 said:

For those of you that have seen the weather forecasts on Good Morning Britain this morning. Really lovin' Laura Tobin's husky voice The gorgeous Laura could repeat the forecast to me, all day long in that voice!! Even if it were to be unbearably mild!!

image.thumb.png.249f62229f3292f774e14af7e168d6c7.png

Regards,

Tom.  

They say she smokes about 40 a day, hence the husky voice.  

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Chelsfield, Orpington (Kent / SE London) - 115m ASL
  • Location: Chelsfield, Orpington (Kent / SE London) - 115m ASL
14 hours ago, TomSE12 said:

The photo below, shows an abandoned line of traffic, on the road between Dover and Deal, this was taken after an easterly gale caused huge snowfalls, throughout Kent. The date was 19th Feb,1969.

image.thumb.png.e0d0de05125ef16a0f8849085b99773a.png            image.thumb.png.4013b234c10ee94b7a56792fe59b6186.png The z500 chart associated with that event.

I lived in a tiny village between Deal and Sandwich in 1987 - this brings back memories! Thanks for posting, Tom, really enjoying the photos. 

EDIT: I wasn't born in 1969 but the 87 snowfall was probably the most disruptive I experienced while living that rurally. Then later that hear, the october 'hurricane' brought more weeks of no power, school closed etc etc. 

Edited by EWS
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
1 hour ago, Matty88 said:

If you believe what that shows it would give me a dusting :yahoo:  although I'm 99.9% certain it won't happen :wallbash:

Probably not, your right, but still an outside chance, worth keeping an eye on the radar tomorrow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, Heavy snowfall, Thunder and lightning, Stormy weather

It is a lovely sunny morning with alto stratus and cirrus clouds.  The temperature is 7°C but feels more like 4°C. The Dew point is at 3°C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
14 hours ago, TomSE12 said:

A few more photos, taken from Ian Currie's excellent Kent County Weather book. The first photo shows a family making their way up Dargetts Hill, Walderslade (near Bluebell Hill, Kent) with vital supplies. The second photo of a closed and deserted stretch of the M20, in Kent. Both photos taken during the severe and wintry spell of January 1987.

image.thumb.png.bf32efd6025c5b946222e981e34ac424.png

Finally a much more modest snow scene, from my manor. A 161 bus struggles across Chislehurst Common, during the snowfall of 8th January, 2003. The heaviest January snowfall for 12 years:

image.thumb.png.743538c85efe25ffda874f93d0dae01b.png     image.thumb.png.62cb6c08975ac28aaa038723e6ddfc4f.png

A "Thames Streamer" event, I remember well.

I've posted these photos with the very kind permission of Ian Currie.

Regards,

PS. Notice just a modest "wedge" of heights, on the chart associated with that Jan.2003, "Thames Streamer". You don't need much!!

Remember Feb 1969 very well, Tom: snow started (in MK) at about eight in the evening and lasted (together with a howling easterly gale) until eight the next morning...After that, we had a load of rain, at 4C...and the forecast return of heavy snow (as happens a lot) never happened...

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Wimbledon88 said:

They say she smokes about 40 a day, hence the husky voice.  

Hi W88.

Even though I don't smoke, I'd offer to light her ciggies for her, all forty!! It's ok, the Wife's at work. :oldwink:

Regards,

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Very nice day, sunny, blue skies and feeling quite chilly in the breeze.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
2 hours ago, TomSE12 said:

Hi W88.

Even though I don't smoke, I'd offer to light her ciggies for her, all forty!! It's ok, the Wife's at work. :oldwink:

Regards,

Obviously reignited your warm front Tom :oldlaugh:

• Like 1

Posted
16 minutes ago, yamkin said:

Approach with caution but great signals showing - a shame its in the long term (ie 10 days+) - plenty of room for 'adjustments' . As Derek says in his other posts - still 25% chance the atlantic will continue in its pursuit of pushing the cold into EE

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Matty88 said:

Approach with caution but great signals showing - a shame its in the long term (ie 10 days+) - plenty of room for 'adjustments' . As Derek says in his other posts - still 25% chance the atlantic will continue in its pursuit of pushing the cold into EE

Yes, wise to be cautious but I think we ll take a 75/25 at this stage.  

This borefest of tediousness must end soon... one way or the other. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Snow and more Snow!

Gillingham looking at 50%ish chance of snow for the next two days. 

I don't understand where this risk is coming from.. The models don't match.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰
5 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

Had to do it

The OCD in me made me....

Garden reprepped for the high potential in the 10-15 day period, expecting zero growth on the 'lawns' in that time....

BED87DCE-235B-4021-8EA6-7EB60ABBE96D.thumb.jpeg.77d5ec190428f1c16e7f70724ac13a21.jpeg9BF7928E-85C2-4764-8BB9-0816DE9E5767.thumb.jpeg.cb8e87926d35a2e761c597093699d906.jpeg

might be some growth of another kind by the end of January Steve? 

Kd71.gif

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!
5 minutes ago, throwoff said:

Gillingham looking at 50%ish chance of snow for the next two days. 

I don't understand where this risk is coming from.. The models don't match.

I'll be very surprised if that comes to pass in anything more than a very light, short sprinkle.