Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 07/11/2018

Blessed Weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Hi Shotski,

Yes, I was living in the Bromley area, S.E.London/N.W.Kent border and was 31 at the time. By the end of that week, we had something approaching ten inches of level snow. That's the most I can remember, in my lifetime. Snow depths must have been close to that in the 62/63 Winter but I was only 7 at the time and my memory is a bit sketchy. I can remember though running up and down piles of snow,to and from school, that people had swept clear of their driveways.

Below, is my favourite archive chart, from that Jan.1987 spell (still my screensaver).

image.thumb.png.4d9029da43b92bba5d2dcd0f411e4eae.png

Above, was the synoptic situation at Noon on 12th January. I was working for the C.W.S. in Bromley. By early afternoon, I was sent home from work as the transport system came to a halt, throughout the Bromley area, Spent the rest of the afternoon at my Parents, around the corner from where I worked. during the early evening tried to get a train at Bromley South Station back to my home, near Anerley, S,E.London. (I was TOMSE20 at the time.) I was told by the staff at Bromley South, that a train service was very sketchy. No trains were running east of Bromley. Many trains had broken down further east,  into Kent. Even deicing trains had broken down, not being able to cope with the intense cold and heavy snowfall!! Eventually got on a stopping service, to London Victoria. Finally got home, very cold and very tired!! :cold: :lazy:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold

Hi Tom

i was 11 at the time and can remember being sent home from school I don’t think we got it as bad as Kent and the north east. 

• Like 1

Posted

Not posted since last year happy new year! A frustrating winter so far I’d rather see stormy weather than nothingness, have faith things will eventually fall into place. Personally I wouldn’t mind the transient snow day brought upon by ‘wedges’ of high pressure think this will become a possibility around mid month with high pressure not in command, reckon chance of a freeze will come late January into Feb.

Posted

Another few photos from Ian Currie's excellent County Weather books.  I apologise, the quality isn't great but it's the best I could do!!This first one from the Surrey County Weather book, again taken during the Jan 1987 spell, of Banstead High Street:

image.thumb.png.7a51f66b71a18443fb70bba51c388604.png

The ones below, from the Kent County Weather book. First a snow blower that British Rail had borrowed from Scottish Railways, attempting to keep a line open near Hoo, so that oil supplies could get through from the Isle of Grain,  during Jan.1987:

image.thumb.png.bd2758af9c612100d8894b605c455ff6.png

The lower photo, in the "grab" below, people queuing outside Vale Bakery in Burnham, Kent. Jan.1987.

image.thumb.png.201293bc74475f710404d169c6f7b5eb.png

These photos posted with the very kind permission of Ian Currie, from his excellent County Weather book series.

Regards,

Tom.  :hi:

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold

6th of January and one post in 12 hours let’s see what the ECM can do about that. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

After countless days' dreich, grey, miserable crapness, something really exciting is might at last be happening: the cack is threatening to turn into fog!?‍♂️?‍♀️:yahoo:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow (but who doesnt like that)

I can’t keep up with the “mad threat” I read it everyday it’s so up and down.

It’s been spitting here in Rye on and off for a while not much just a bit in the wind. It’s been a dark grey boring day. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

HOT OF THE PRESS: diddly squit showing on the ecm 12z in fact getting the feeling the Atlantic motor is just revving up! some of the poorest runs from this model this winter if your looking for cold. Potential Day 10 onwards 2/10

Edited by Froze were the Days

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
1 hour ago, FiftyShadesofSnow said:

Gestapo in there il be barred for telling the truth...they've already removed my honest post. They are guided by the hyperbole snow hunters populists....we know who they are. Shame.

Don't go posting reality in there lol, you will be treated like a leper

• Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, FiftyShadesofSnow said:

Any rats?

Lol funny you should say that, just been in the garden with the cat and seen three

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
2 hours ago, FiftyShadesofSnow said:

Gestapo in there il be barred for telling the truth...they've already removed my honest post. They are guided by the hyperbole snow hunters populists....we know who they are. Shame.

Who was it that said something like; One day it will become a crime to tell the truth?

Almost there now already.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sunny days!

Not posted on here in ages, all sounds a wee bit depressing.  Spring will soon be here! 

IMG_6437.JPG

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
53 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

OMG lass. Thats really bad, did you really feel like that, you know, a leper I mean?:unsure2:

Posted
3 minutes ago, trickybirdy said:

Not posted on here in ages, all sounds a wee bit depressing.  Spring will soon be here! 

IMG_6437.JPG

Have we had winter yet then, i never noticed. (Scratches his head):olddoh:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
1 hour ago, lassie23 said:

Never mind, Lass...Mustn't crumble?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heat, Cold, Sun

Models look poor for cold in the reliable, but at least it isn’t/hasn’t been stormy and wet. 

Nothing worse than having no cold with soaking wet Atlantic dross with boring gales and drenching rain.

If it isn’t going to be cold = dry and useable over mild Atlantic crap anyday. 

Posted
2 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

lol left one of my ears in there

Its them rats again Lass they can really bite you bad if you disturb them....prefer rats to Lepers mind.

• Like 1

Posted

Well I'm not throwing in the towel, just yet. Woke up after an enforced nap, due to horrible Neuralgic pain, on top of my Stroke damaged Brain. Had one of Colette's delicious Sunday roasts. Colette went upstairs and caught up with recordings of her Soaps. I decided to stay downstairs and catch up with the latest episode of the Netweather Soap, which is the Model thread!! Logged into Meteociel and came across the chart below:

image.thumb.png.0c2f421a68085d06e545e3ba4ee204f4.png

Now I know it's only one run and way too early to be cracking open the Champagne and I have no idea, how it sits in the 12z GEFS but I quickly remembered my conversation with local Weatherman Ian Currie, last night. He told me to keep an eye on the Model output for around the 20th/21st January. Core of heights from mid-Atlantic High, ridging up towards Greenland, S.E diving low, ushering in a cold Arctic flow. Just one run but interesting, nevertheless!!

Regards,

Tom.  :hi:

Edited by TomSE12
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados

Another mundane day,ive even popped in the hunt for cold 2056 thread,and there's still some great charts showing in fi,blinding entertainment,but confusing as anything,1 model is great,then its the worst model ever,and it can't be trusted,1 chart is brilliant,because it shows minus 15,and 45ft snow drifts for all,its only the weather,personally I think too much is being pinned on the ssw to deliver,I hope it does,but if it doesn't,they'll be some toys thrown about

Posted
4 minutes ago, Mokidugway said:

I know a Vietnam  vet with some spares

lol the ear collector, hs he been taking his meds?