Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 07/11/2018

Blessed Weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Frosty Mornings

Met Office are still saying 3rd week Jan onwards for cold spell for my area , i'm clinging on to that .

Seem's as though some of the models are still struggling to predict whats going on, got to love our weather!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, Heavy snowfall, Thunder and lightning, Stormy weather

Last night the Met Office said that there would be widespread frost and I woke up thinking that it would a frosty morning but sadly no frost, due to the over night sky being  overcast. It is a lovely sunny morning but I am wondering when will the South East ever get colder weather. I feel Thurrock must have it's own micro climate as it is so difficult to forecast for this area.  The temperature is 5°C but it feels more like 15°C. Weather.com has predicted that the temperatures will reach -3°C for Thursday night while the Met Office have predicted -2°C temperatures. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Heating has only needed to be on low over the last couple of weeks as it hasn't been cold enough. Looks like that is about to change over the next week. Might have to get the de-icer out again every morning.

Do not want to go back to work tomorrow

Posted
31 minutes ago, Lauren said:

Heating has only needed to be on low over the last couple of weeks as it hasn't been cold enough. Looks like that is about to change over the next week. Might have to get the de-icer out again every morning.

Do not want to go back to work tomorrow

well come back to work today. like me

noticeably cooler today. temps pegged back by the chilly breeze. looking forward to some frog and fost in the coming days

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, Heavy snowfall, Thunder and lightning, Stormy weather

It has been overcast since the early afternoon as the sunshine did not last long.  The sky is completely covered with stratus clouds and will stay overcast until Tuesday of next week. I doubt temperatures will go below 4°C and there is no chance of any frost or fog.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms

Wintry flurries?

0E77647B-57DC-4504-BCD8-C186E67F5896.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

anaprop? 

Posted
7 hours ago, Lauren said:

Heating has only needed to be on low over the last couple of weeks as it hasn't been cold enough. 

Interested in the sort of house you live in. Everyone’s house is different including how exposed it is to weather. Also those living in it have different needs. My grand children seem to be happy to have next to no clothes on. My 103 year old mother feels the cold. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

I live in a fairly modern terrace with a North facing but surprisingly sunny garden. I feel the cold easily too. My heating is normally set at about 16 - 18 in winter, off in summer. Very rarely do I need to turn it above 18.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Frosty Mornings

ours is rarely on although we do have a log burner which heats the whole house pretty much

Posted
20 minutes ago, Lauren said:

I live in a fairly modern terrace with a North facing but surprisingly sunny garden. I feel the cold easily too. My heating is normally set at about 16 - 18 in winter, off in summer. Very rarely do I need to turn it above 18.

Interesting. Ours was built in the 1920’s. Solid 9” walls. One room has walls north, east and south. Cools down very easily. Most of the house is fairly well insulated as I upgraded it so quite warm when heated. My wife says she is quite fridgid. I mean feels the cold. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold

I’m still hoping that the 3rd or 4th week of Jan we could get our first frost and then maybe some fog and cold drizzle when the SSW impacts early Feb. Fingers crossed  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

What a dreary day. What surprised me was the frequency of showers. So this insight from Weatherquest caught my eye. No doubt the cold air running down the still warm North Sea was at work.

166061519_DanHolleytweetshowers02Jan.thumb.jpg.80842323ef834b823eb6cd51c0bf4f58.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, storms or both at same time..
2 hours ago, Lauren said:

I would be cold set at 16c, my family like it warm.

We have a smart thermostat with smart radiator valves fitted in every room, each room can be set at different temperatures via an App on my mobile. and an individual radiator can trigger the boiler to turn on independently. bedrooms are 20c till bed time then 17c during the night.

downstairs is 21c at times when people are home, 17c during the night, but back to 21c by 6am

That's what its set to 365 days a year, never turned off.

That's in a 3 bed-semi, built in 1935, 10 x rads, cavity wall insulation, 8" loft insulation, double glazing and doors.

Just checked my EDF app and in last 12 months we used £512 in gas, £42.66 per month, £1.40 per day

and thats with 100% gas cooker and the hot water, seems pretty cheap compared with running cars etc

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow (but who doesnt like that)

I wanted to post this while I still remembered, people are talking bout the polar vortex splitting, why does that happen and what does that usually mean for us?? Sorry if I sound stupid asking The question ☺️☺️

• Like 1

Posted
7 hours ago, Rob Deacon said:

That's in a 3 bed-semi, built in 1935, 10 x rads, cavity wall insulation, 8" loft insulation, double glazing and doors.

Shows the benefits of insulation. Better to heat you than the birds on the roof. Must say it is unusual for a 1935 house to have cavity walls. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Morning all,

Avery special day of Remembrance for myself, wife and two sisters. My Italian Mother, would have been 95 today.

image.thumb.png.6e364e6fbc972dff73da49c5ad4dec58.png      image.thumb.png.8e5a46b0b16fccc228a0c4b6b5cec5d2.png

Mum and Dad, on their Wedding Day, in 1947. Although my Dad's Father was German, his Mother was English and he fought in the British Army, in the 2nd World War. After recovering from being shot in the shoulder, in Northern Italy Dad was placed on the Military Police, in my Mother's home town of Caserta (25 miles north of Naples.) He met Mum, when he was sent to patrol the Bakery, where she worked. Local "yobs" were hassling the girls and stealing the produce and money. Mum and Dad got chatting and the "rest is history", as they say. Dad stayed on in Italy at the end of the War and they were married in 1947. Dad then brought his Italian bride, back home to England.

Mum was an absolute rock to myself and my two sisters. My Father suffered badly from manic depression and wasn't able to work, for many years. Mum stepped up to the plate and took on as much work as she could (cleaning jobs, whatever), to help keep the wolf from the door. She holds a special place, in all our hearts. She taught me how to cook Italian. Her Polpette (Italian meatballs) and Taglietelle al Ragu (**Note**,NOT Spag.Bol!!), were to die for. My Wife Colette now cooks these dishes, as well as any of my Italian relatives. Riposa In Pace, Mamma.

On the weather front, I know it's ten days away but the 00z. ECM (t240), looks very interesting.

image.thumb.png.ad93cd5415d9e6a41eac85b63d353644.png

Regards,

Tom.  :hi:

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Edited by TomSE12
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms

A thoughtful post as usual Tom. A chilly yet cloudy start here in Hastings, must have become overcast during the early hours at some point. The temperature atm is around 3.5c.

Edited by LightningLover
  • Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, LightningLover said:

Nice, heartwarming post as usual Tom. A chilly yet cloudy start here in Hastings, must have become overcast during the early hours at some point. The temperature atm is around 3.5c.

Thanks for those kind words, LL. I didn'i mean to post multiple photos of my Mother but don't know how to delete them without deleting, the first photo??

Regards,

Tom. :hi:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Our move to Prague is nearly complete and I have been living here ‘properly’ since December 30th. After some mild-ish days, it has been pretty wild here with often gale force winds. A much colder day today with snow showers. There’s a dusting of snow on the balcony. Currently -2C with a strong NW’ly wind. 

0BFDE580-AE57-4B90-8CD3-ECB9EF07BBFD.jpeg

• Like 8

Posted

Had a very difficult G.P. appt., yesterday morning. Saw a Doctor who I 'd not seen before. He was very impatient and hadn't read my notes and medical history. I had to tell him all about the Haemorrhagic Stroke I experienced three and a bit years ago. I was hoping to be prescribed something called Capsaicin Cream (it's derived from chilli powder), when applied to my scalp, was giving me some relief from the Neuralgic type pain I was experiencing. It can only be got on Prescription and I can only take Paracetamol, which only takes the edge, off the pain. I've had a very persistent spell of this pain, during the Christmas holiday and was hoping to be prescribed, some pain relief. The "stroppy" G.P. did agree that I was probably experiencing something called Trigeminal Neuralgia, a legacy of nerve damage and invasive surgery, after my brain operation.. He even refused to check my Blood Pressure, which should be checked regularly!!

This condition can be triggered by many factors, such as a draught, cold air, over zealous brushing of teeth, etc. With the onset of slightly colder weather and perhaps worse/BETTER, around the corner. Decided to set off to Bromley with Colette and buy myself one of these bad boys!!

image.thumb.png.4794f5663ea559a3b15cd8964fe0d949.png

30% off at Marks and Sparks. My cheeky m..e of a Wife enquired whether "I was planning to do a bit of deer stalking in Bromley High St" but I might be out of luck, as we don't get much wildlife roaming this area!!

Not sure I agree with that :nonono:TBH, don't care what I look like, as long as I get some relief from that awful, Neuralgic pain.

Regards,

Edited by TomSE12
  • Like 3

Posted

Going over to my eldest sister Luisa (my sisters got the nice Italian names) and having a few hours with her, my Brother-in-Law and their Granddaughter, Maddalena, to honour our Mother's birthday.

image.thumb.png.4cd515dd9f81ed076b4ca453d8d9a3ff.png

My sister Luisa and Granddaughter, Maddalena (Lulu is 70 but think her Grandchildren keep her looking so young!!).

Regards,

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Very heavy snow showers here today, now a covering and looks like more to come. Czech weather showing London temperatures dropping to -8C tonight

22F44C19-B937-4F5B-AA55-07D1F1623AEC.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !
2 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Very heavy snow showers here today, now a covering and looks like more to come. Czech weather showing London temperatures dropping to -8C tonight

22F44C19-B937-4F5B-AA55-07D1F1623AEC.jpeg

looks great heavy snow showers settling - we can dream ...cant see it dropping to -8c in London tonight although it does at least feel cold ... maybe a cheeky -1c tonight?

• Like 1