Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 07/11/2018

Blessed Weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Finally arrived home from my Wife's place of work at around 1.45, yesterday afternoon. We were both exhausted, after having been up since 4.30. I was fortunate to have been sitting down all morning and the Care Home allow me to take in my Laptop. Obviously my Wife was working and was on her feet, the whole time.

As soon as we arrived home Colette had to start preparing the Christmas Dinner. We finally ate that at around 5 pm. It really was a fantastic meal. We had one of those , three bird roasts (Colette insists on calling it a three legged bird. Don't ask!!) We also had a little bit of lamb with it, as well. Plus all the trimmings, I felt well and truly stuffed and exhausted. Actually retreated to bed at 7 pm (Lightweight, I know!!:oldgrin:)

Have just come downstairs with a touch of indigestion!! My Stepson is up and still playing a game we bought him (Let's Go Pikachu), really glad that he's enjoying it. He works really hard as an Electrician, sometimes not arriving home until 5.30 A,M.

Off to visit my eldest sister and brother-in-law around the corner in Grove Park, this afternoon. Think I'll lay off much food until then. Luisa is also a very good hostess and will no doubt prepare an amazing feast. 

It's now 1.15 A.M. and I'm off to look at the MAD thread and do a little bit of work on the Fantasy Sports Competitions I "host" over on the Sports Zone, before returning to my "pit".

Hope you all have a great Boxing Day and try not to over indulge, too much!! :nonono:

Regards,

Tom. :hi:

• Like 1

Posted

Just finished digesting some of the "stuff" on the MAD thread but didn't want to add to my indigestion!!

Was pleasantly surprised to find some interesting output. I mentioned the other day how the possible way forward for the Models, could be a similar scenario to what eventually happened in JAN.1985, especially after reading a post from Stuart Rampling (Glacier Point) on the Strat. thread, re. that month. A couple of charts just before the cold and snow set in, from that month.

31st DEC.1984

image.thumb.png.da0059a684366101c3c766e9f1175ac8.png

1st JAN.1985

image.thumb.png.8b392ab6b74ba5e2576f257ce8d94050.png

5th JAN.1985

image.thumb.png.432669df8f0012eb5d9fb4f1d61a2ade.png

Didn't want to post these on the MAD thread for fear of being branded a "hope-caster" of unrealistic pattern matching!!

But should the Strat. "cards" fall our way, this is the type of evolution we could start to see from the Forecast Models.

Regards,

Tom.  :hi:

• Like 2

Posted

Hope you're all enjoying Christmas!

This weather is putting a dampener in things, it's  just murky and gloomy outside, not even crisp...just Meh.

Meh Christmas! 

Hoping for a bit of brightness tomorrow.

Anyway...back to the cheese....

• Like 2

Posted

image.png.35a03a6a0fb85eb359c60904d3968a2a.png image.png.e2af52165dbf469baac9d82ffc65eaf1.pngimage.png.cc99ae9fd7f60db19573ab955735a74f.png

Sammy, Mum and Dad (Sharon and Solomon) and Sister Sally, would like to wish you all the best of Seasons Greetings.

As I stated earlier, the family is of the Jewish faith and really didn't give two "hoots", as to what the weather did on Christmas Day, as they don't celebrate it. But with the weather likely to have been on the mild side, Solomon thought it prudent to take the family off to Jukkasjarvi, in Sweden for the holiday period. The family would like to thank all at Netweather Towers, who made the trip possible, thanks to the very generous amount they paid Solomon and Sharon for appearing on their Christmas Skin. Solomon booked all the family into the Ice Hotel at Jukkasjarvi:

image.png.5004f62ce075a299029841e9953ee2af.pngTo be on the safe side Solomon paid for an en suite Freddie Freezer.image.thumb.png.3d93b778995ab1512b8eb58e7d8288a8.png Sharon took the added precaution of shutting  Sammy away in Freddie, throughout Christmas Day, even though the temperature was well below freezing outside. Fortunately, there was no S.S.W (Sudden Sammy Warming) image.png.2e33332afb945c41d26db05f4f5540ca.png :nonono:and with Sharon keeping Sammy fed with a constant supply of Pretzels, Sammy's B.M.I remains on the positive side, perhaps a little too much. The family hope you weren't bothered too much by Clarence Cloud  

image.png.8225d21e3ede43107a29415870060b1f.pngor Fortescue Fog image.thumb.png.33459fe3b516d614e8075a0068073c7b.png and were able to take a walk in Simon Sunshine image.png.4070ebe8b6357f92c990ecb16b0c6ac0.pngafter your Christmas dinner. 

After watching Tomasz Schafernaker's  image.png.4845b57ab221238bdb484e90eb565c9d.pngWeather for the week ahead forecast, the family have decided to extend their stay in Sweden, which looks to remain deep, crisp and even, whilst back at home we remain mild, for the foreseeable. But the family would like to wish you all a "Happy Hannukah."

Regards,

Tom. :hi:

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Edited by TomSE12
  • Like 2

Posted

just popped out for a lunchtime sandwich. Westminster/St James's is quiet, sun broken through and a tad milder than this morning. Can be happy with this all the time its dry. Nothing worse than mild and wet in winter time. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms

Cold, misty start in Hastings. The temperature at around 9:00 was 3.5c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

So my favorite time of year descends to the most boring time. This week is no mans land, no snow heading on and I'm looking *so* forward to having to endure a  baking hot summer to get here again. 

However next year I hope someone stands outside at 12:30am Christmas morning making noise like our neighbours did for us. Their little one wasn't there and someone was doing something with a hammer. 

All month and they choose to do some DIY then.

So far they have kept out of our way.

Had some sun.

Edited by Dami

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !

very misty here in N Surrey all day - mist forming in the gulleys alongside the A3 by dusk already 

iMgGtbaFTIW9Rb2yatlcbg.jpg

nVoyd4w8RJ+xqmLzXz9kyQ.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heat, Cold, Sun

Hello everyone from here in Montreal, Canada.

Temp currently -10c with snowcover here in the suburbs. Heavy snowfall forecast later tonight into tomorrow morning 

Quick glance at the models and no chance of a cold first week of January upon my return as hoped 2 weeks ago. 

UK cold hopes extended on an on by the looks of it. 

Hope everyone had a great Christmas and fingers crossed for UK snow and cold before February. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme
17 minutes ago, Ben Lewis said:

Hello everyone from here in Montreal, Canada.

Temp currently -10c with snowcover here in the suburbs. Heavy snowfall forecast later tonight into tomorrow morning 

Quick glance at the models and no chance of a cold first week of January upon my return as hoped 2 weeks ago. 

UK cold hopes extended on an on by the looks of it. 

Hope everyone had a great Christmas and fingers crossed for UK snow and cold before February. 

Im sure you had a fabulous xmas Ben....snow & festive temperatures, lucky you! Must be missing cross fit or is it easier in snow than mud....asking for a friend? Muddy running here presently....but its going to dry up...rain.....or freeze....who knows? Whatever the weather, everyone get out and enjoy it, its an amazing feat of nature....regardless if it gives you muddy shoes or a runny nose!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms

Temperature fell to 0.7C around 10PM, now up to 4.9C.

Avoiding the fog here tonight, but no doubt will return tomorrow night with lighter winds.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold
5 hours ago, essexweather said:

Temperature fell to 0.7C around 10PM, now up to 4.9C.

Avoiding the fog here tonight, but no doubt will return tomorrow night with lighter winds.

Hi Essex weather

any updates on what the latest Glosea is showing for mid January ? Thanks  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warmth, sun, blue sky, and the odd bit of snow on a weekend would do nicely

I know lots of people on the model thread desperate to look for anything cold. I love telling them the world as a whole as we all know is warming rapidly chances of long cold winters in this Country is never going to happen they hate hearing it. Yes we will get events like the “beast from the east” nothing more.

This current mild weather is boring but if it saves me on heating cost, than I’m happy with that! 

Posted

This weather definitely begs the ' What's the point?' reward.  

• Like 2

Posted

Winters seem to be getting milder and milder. Our winter will come end of Feb or march when the sun will melt any snow quickly. Head to north Canada next Christmas if you want a white xmas. My dad said he many white Christmas when he was young. Really think global warming is taking affect here in winter. 

Posted
1 hour ago, clark3r said:

Winters seem to be getting milder and milder. Our winter will come end of Feb or march when the sun will melt any snow quickly. Head to north Canada next Christmas if you want a white xmas. My dad said he many white Christmas when he was young. Really think global warming is taking affect here in winter. 

Sadly I think your correct but that’s not to say we can’t still get some decent cold weather and I’m still expecting it from mid Jan onwards. As the planet warms the jet stream will behave wildly and scupper any chances of prolonged HLB but when you do get a cold shot it will be cold ? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
5 hours ago, clark3r said:

It’s an interesting topic, we’ve seen a warming trend in our winters for some years now. No one knows how long that’ll last for. Despite a warming trend, there’ll still be cold winter episodes and snow. Mild winters are the norm in this part of Europe, unfortunately. Though weather like we’ve ‘enjoyed’ recently is pretty pants for the end of December.

Edited by stainesbloke
  • Like 2

Posted

I think the retail industry aren't expecting us to have a major cold winter either. Some of the 'New In clothing' is much thinner jumpers, cropped in some places for a start.  

Although there is good and bad. Where bubs school is, it's usually quite icy and the caretaker only seems to salt round the classrooms and not the main paths into school. After the Beast the path was like a skating rink and all the kids were told to be careful. It was pathetic.

more excited about the coming spring/summer. A first.

Posted

You know the weather is bad when I am talking to myself here. Not to worry I probably do most of the time. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow (but who doesnt like that)

i hope everyone has had an enjoyable Christmas, ours was mad but good. we have tried to get out and about for a few walks between stuffing our faces. We had a nice long walk around Eastbourne harbour on Wednesday. when we arrived it was slightly chilly but not bothersome at all. by the time we had finished the temperature had dropped and we were all freezing. its been so dark and overcast as well I keep thinking it's nearly dinner time when in fact its only lunch time, Today we had a long walk down the beach at Camber with the monsters, the sea was beautiful and flat and not a breeze even on the beach, it was very mild but still extremely overcast. I have  seen the netweather forecast and it does mention that there will be a possibility of colder weather towards the middle/end of January. The weather is ok for me its not raining and windy both of which are a plus for me. its just soooooo dark and quiet, I miss the sun 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

I think future Christmases will see temperatures of 20c and most people will be having bbq's instead of roasts and sitting outside instead of in. Being attacked by wasps and mosquitos will become a common hazard and by smarch, it will be 33c. August will hit 40c and the temps at night won't fall below 30c. Hope everyone has a decent fan for the future.

Posted
41 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

I think future Christmases will see temperatures of 20c and most people will be having bbq's instead of roasts and sitting outside instead of in. Being attacked by wasps and mosquitos will become a common hazard and by smarch, it will be 33c. August will hit 40c and the temps at night won't fall below 30c. Hope everyone has a decent fan for the future.

Did you not get what you want for Christmas