Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 07/11/2018

Blessed Weather

Posted

Here in Reigate at 110m the temperature has recently started steadily rising, currently 1.2c.  Dewpoint also on the up albeit still below 0c. Nicely illustrated on this graph

Rain is pretty close now.

9084C3F0-9CE0-4383-A11A-C5168C602C92.png

Edited by abruzzi spur
Wrong graph

Posted
3 minutes ago, Surrey said:

Temp here in North Surrey 0c and almost within touching distant of PPN will let you know how goes... Not expecting anything other than a few flakes mixed in

Morning, I think you may get a dusting before it turns to rain/freezing rain. Probably flooding will be the concern here.

Edited by Jayfromcardiff

Looking at the uppers - the 1c line @850 comes through around 11am

The dewpoint 0c line comes through ~ 4pm , currently around -3.

850 thickness is 1290 till about 11 & the 0c WBPT line is around 100M all morning-

So snow me thinks for us - surface level maybe an hour, > 100M 2 hours

maybe a covering over >200M

Im at 150M so.......

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

There's two fronts coming through today and the arrival of the first occluded front this morning looks like offering the best chance of seeing some flakes falling. The second front expected this evening likely to be all-rain for us. It's very tempting to jump in the car and book into the Tan Hill Inn in the Yorkshire Dales - it will be quite an evening up there.

Turning to sleet on leading edge at 07.15 this morning: 577448523_Radar07_15.thumb.jpg.b0d4f5d775730253f006f31faf02b4ac.jpg

The high res model 'take' on the next 24 hours (red = snow):

Arpege tempresult_zzb7.gif   Hirlam tempresult_scr9.gif

Posted
11 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

Good stuff - the top of box hill is 225M IIRC 

Still falling sporadically to 100 metres (we are walking the dogs).

hum... 50-50

I would think so- somewhere in there is the transition zone, remember its really about the 0c isotherm > once thats gone through about 11 then its pretty marginal so 2 hours 2 go...

Temp here 0.3c  WK probs -0.2 ish extra 100 M up.

Edited by Steve Murr

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

:oops: Cold gone from the models this morning according to the MOD thread. I was going to give it another 5 days before I got excited but didn't expect it all to vanish after 24 hours :fool:;)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, Snowy winters.

Going to throw the Arome in for later this afternoon. Added that model to my thumbs up list.

arome-1-16-0.png

Posted

Maybe interesting. Not sure how you can have back edge snow if the cold air is pushed away.

hirlam-1-29-0.png

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
4 minutes ago, Stuie W said:

Maybe interesting. Not sure how you can have back edge snow if the cold air is pushed away.

hirlam-1-29-0.png

The bit at the front never sees snow because of the flow off the sea. This is where a surface undercut hurts the very east and brings me into play.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross
1 hour ago, Blessed Weather said:

There's two fronts coming through today and the arrival of the first occluded front this morning looks like offering the best chance of seeing some flakes falling. The second front expected this evening likely to be all-rain for us. It's very tempting to jump in the car and book into the Tan Hill Inn in the Yorkshire Dales - it will be quite an evening up there.

Turning to sleet on leading edge at 07.15 this morning: 577448523_Radar07_15.thumb.jpg.b0d4f5d775730253f006f31faf02b4ac.jpg

The high res model 'take' on the next 24 hours (red = snow):

Arpege tempresult_zzb7.gif   Hirlam tempresult_scr9.gif

Seriously, don't do it. The worst service ever, booked and paid for a room on-line, drove from Somerset got there at 9.30pm (as agreed via phone) they didn't have a room for us, denied us ever booking despite having the receipt. They put us in a grotty bunk room, one bathroom between guests and staff, and it just went downhill from there. Had to stay that night as no chance of finding anything else, left the next day with the landlady following us outside screaming and hurling abuse at us for leaving, Very unpleasant lady.

Posted
4 minutes ago, summer blizzard said:

The bit at the front never sees snow because of the flow off the sea. This is where a surface undercut hurts the very east and brings me into play.

Well the same model does show snow at the front but this mild sector must be from the channel right not the North sea.

Doubt any model has it completely nailed and will be a case of just look out the window/lamppost...

hirlam-1-11-0.png