Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 07/11/2018

Blessed Weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather

Just had a band of heavy rain from a former thunderstorm. Looks like some thunderstorms have sparked off on the coast of Cornwall and Wales.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms.

This mornings early morning drive from St Leonards on Sea to a hospital appointment in Sidcup turned out to be less troublesome than I feared despite the weather.

The worst part of the journey as always is the 20 or so mile single carriageway section of the A21 from Battle northwards. Despite heavier traffic than usual it was a relief to see drivers using common sense and slowing down in the conditions.

Winds locally have been regularly gusting 30-40mph since 10am yesterday but rainfall has been nothing exceptional. I got back to the South Coast in time to enjoy watching a couple of surfers enjoying the waves at Rock-a-Nore in Hastings this afternoon.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
1 hour ago, lassie23 said:

i've had to put up with endless drivel these past few days and the weather has been crappy too

proxy.duckduckgo.thumb.jpg.d3d525b9578fda98497b48c5fb4110c0.jpg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather

3 lightning strikes have been reported off to the South-Eastern coast of Norfolk.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, mulzy said:

Thunder here - beefy shower passing through.

10.3C

Same here in Surbiton, heavy rain for the past 20 minutes then lightning and thunder. It's rained everywhere I've been today from Epsom to Surbiton to Uxbridge and back; neighbour's fence has gone down in the wind. Not enjoying this weather... well apart from the thunder;)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

Funny how I always get the boring rain here, thunderstorms just flirt around me most of the time and get holes in the PPN when it's snowing just up the road, but never miss out on boring rain.:olddoh:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms
Just now, snowray said:

Funny how I always get the boring rain here, thunderstorms just flirt around me most of the time and get holes in the PPN when it's snowing just up the road, but never miss out on boring rain.:olddoh:

That pretty much sums up summer 2018 for me Convectively-speaking. 26th of may though. Blimey. 

Posted
10 minutes ago, LightningLover said:

That pretty much sums up summer 2018 for me Convectively-speaking. 26th of may though. Blimey. 

Absolutely chucking it down again here, I seem to catch the streamers from the south all the time, direct hits all day long.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow (but who doesnt like that)

To be honest I thought today was going to worse than what it was,  a few heavy showers but nothing much, the wind irritates me, it doesn’t do anything to upset me it just irritates me, it blows my hair about and makes me colder than what I already was and blows mess in my door it’s rather rude to be honest. It’s been irritating me all day 

• Like 1

Posted

I just got woken up by some ridiculously heavy rain. The wind was gusty too, and I think some small pellets of hail were mixed in. But that rain was just unreal for a time... it moved in sheets across the street, making it vaguely resemble a hurricane.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Got the thunderstorms symbol for Sunday morning at the moment.....

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, Lauren said:

Got the thunderstorms symbol for Sunday morning at the moment.....

Same for Hastings, Lauren. It's been showing that for 3 days or so now... Fingers crossed!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Morning all,

As Lightning Lover states above, some heavy and squally showers have been running into our southern coastline, during the overnight period. These are now showing signs of abating and moving away from the coast, as the wind veers a touch more to the W.

Have just watched Tomasz Schafernaker with MeteoGroup's, extended outlook.

Tom started by stating that we are in for a very turbulent spell of weather, over the next few days. Today looks like being the best, of the next few. As stated above, showers moving away from the south coast, still the chance of one or two but should be mainly dry, with sunny spells. Still quite breezy and max. temps up to a mild 12c, in the London area. Quiet for a time tonight, before more wind and rain sweep in from the Atlantic. Saturday A.M wet but the rain should move away from all parts of our region by late afternoon, max. temps up to 14c. A repeat performance likely for Sunday morning, as more fronts sweep in from the Atlantic. Max. temps., again up to around 14c for London. Monday starts with more rain but a cold front tracks through and the weather brightens up, as the wind veers to the W., with max. temps down a notch to 12c. Tuesday should start with a spell of fine weather fine but there is some uncertainty about the timing of the next spell of rain. Max. temps down a notch further to about 9c, for London.

Tom then finished by stating that giving exact details for the rest of the week was pointless but suffice to say with the Jet Stream, still firing lows at us, its likely to remain unsettled with rain at times but with some drier interludes. As we head into next weekend, the Jet Stream could dive south, to the west of the U.K. This would have the effect of calming the weather down but introducing some colder air, at the same time.

This forecast was a change from yesterday, as the forecaster then "emphasised" that High Pressure would be moving over the U.K. and calming the weather down before Tomasz suggested it would.

So, still no sign of anything "majorly" cold but my calendar still tells me it's November, just. But it's way too early to be "throwing in the towel", as some seem intent on doing, on the model thread!!

Regards,

Tom. :hi:

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, TomSE12 said:

Morning all,

As Lightning Lover states above, some heavy and squally showers have been running into our southern coastline, during the overnight period. These are now showing signs of abating and moving away from the coast, as the wind veers a touch more to the W.

Have just watched Tomasz Schafernaker with MeteoGroup's, extended outlook.

Tom started by stating that we are in for a very turbulent spell of weather, over the next few days. Today looks like being the best, of the next few. As stated above, showers moving away from the south coast, still the chance of one or two but should be mainly dry, with sunny spells. Still quite breezy and max. temps up to a mild 12c, in the London area. Quiet for a time tonight, before more wind and rain sweep in from the Atlantic. Saturday A.M wet but the rain should move away from all parts of our region by late afternoon, max. temps up to 14c. A repeat performance likely for Sunday morning, as more fronts sweep in from the Atlantic. Max. temps., again up to around 14c for London. Monday starts with more rain but a cold front tracks through and the weather brightens up, as the wind veers to the W., with max. temps down a notch to 12c. Tuesday should start with a spell of fine weather fine but there is some uncertainty about the timing of the next spell of rain. Max. temps down a notch further to about 9c, for London.

Tom then finished by stating that giving exact details for the rest of the week was pointless but suffice to say with the Jet Stream, still firing lows at us, its likely to remain unsettled with rain at times but with some drier interludes. As we head into next weekend, the Jet Stream could dive south, to the west of the U.K. This would have the effect of calming the weather down but introducing some colder air, at the same time.

This forecast was a change from yesterday, as the forecaster then "emphasised" that High Pressure would be moving over the U.K. and calming the weather down before Tomasz suggested it would.

So, still no sign of anything "majorly" cold but my calendar still tells me it's November, just. But it's way too early to be "throwing in the towel", as some seem intent on doing, on the model thread!!

Regards,

Tom. 

Cheers for the summary Tom. Looking a tad autumnal in the next few days to say the least. Nice sunny 8c jusy now. 

Soon be spring anyway now that the winter is over according to the MAD thread. Really is ridiculous nonsense. It would be like going home when your team are 1-0 down after ten minutes!! 

I can't quite understand their obsession with cold and heat on this site. Same in summer. If they can't see 35c and scorching sun or 30cm snow and a raging easterly then they are not happy. 

Plenty of other types of interesting weather.  

Posted

Really pleasant sunshine here this morning, 11c.

Think December might turn into a BBQ month after all, if you can find some higher ground that's not been flooded that is!;)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

The only thing I knew this morning was the fact it was clear and wasn't going to rain for at time it would take me to walk bubs to school. Dam you chesty cough, you make me feel rough. 

Can't believe it's december tomorrow. The house is a mess. The delivery driver with cat supplies has been the next stop and 15mins away for over an hour.

Is it really december tomorrow. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow events / Wind storms
3 hours ago, Dami said:

The only thing I knew this morning was the fact it was clear and wasn't going to rain for at time it would take me to walk bubs to school. Dam you chesty cough, you make me feel rough. 

Can't believe it's december tomorrow. The house is a mess. The delivery driver with cat supplies has been the next stop and 15mins away for over an hour.

Is it really december tomorrow. 

Did the cat supplies eventually arrive?