Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 07/11/2018

Blessed Weather

Posted

Pretty much rained/sleeted /snow all night long, checked the garden this morning quite surprised to find a thin layer of snow, more so on the shed roof , but also on the grass, must have been pretty intense at time for that slushy mix to stick.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms

Well then... It looks like it tried to do something while I was asleep...

41FE5691-E3C8-4EA7-8014-7F0B798973BB.jpeg

Edit: According to @SenlacJack, We actually had our first snow!! Gutted I missed it.

Edited by LightningLover
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.

Covering of Snow NR Brighton this morning.

Soon melted after 6am as rain showers washed it away.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados

Well well well,the slightest of smattering's here on my decking,my brother is 9 miles away,in rye,and its been raining there all night,I guess being 11 miles inland,and around 70 or so metres asl,has played a part.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Do any of you remember this:

I just stumbled across it, yes it was down to yours truly!! Don't worry, I'm not about to suggest "hosting" another one. I remember a lovely chap called Chris Mantle. put a self calculating Excel Spreadsheet together for me. Sadly Chris died a little while later, bless him(R.I.P) Yesterday, I saw a lot of names, on the bottom of the page, that "jogged" ny stroke damaged brain. Chris had kindly put this Spreadsheet together for me, as my IT skills were virtually "zilch". We proofed it out and it worked perfectly but unfortunately we were missing one vital element, SNOW!! I can remember for being blamed for jinxing our "snow chances". So, certainly not advocating a re-run plus my reduced stamina levels "post stroke", wouldn't be up to it. I think the "jinx" was on mine and poor Chris' health. When I think of all the reams of A4 paper spread over the floor in our maisonette, in Anerley S,E,London, it's no wonder my brain "blew up".literally!!

When I saw the names of the likes of Amanzi, Sno'Problem (Can remember having a lot of banter with him about our poor snow locations!!) Bantering with Snowbob about accepting a "virtual" bribe, to be found in a "brown envelope" and collected at Addington Village tram stop, on the way to my job, in East Croydon. Lots of bantering with Yamkin about his snow reports. Seem to think that the first year I "hosted" the Competition there was just enough snow to force a result. If memory serves, LOTTIEKENT and SNOWBOB, dead-heated with one other??

Was about to employ my Bookmaking experience and introduce a "handicapping" system, when the lack of snow put an end to it. Whereby those members with some elevation and those with proximity to a source of moisture, Thames Estuary/North Sea, would've started with a penalty!! So LottieKent and Snowbob, certainly would have come into that category, along with the likes of SCRAT, had she been around at the time. But don't worry snow junkies, I shall confine my "Fantasy" Competitions, to the Sports Zone, where our own "Pot Noodle" king, LASSIE23, is frequently mentioned in dispatches and indeed won my last Competition. Lass don't forget, Part 2 of the latest racing Competition, on Saturday but that's for the Sports Zone Forum. 

Thanks for the trip down memory lane!!

Regards,

Tom. :hi:

Edited by TomSE12
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love a bit of snow

Certainly was a good year for banter in that thread @TomSE12 

You really done a great job with that competition mate,and yes you’re memory is correct I was dead heat with lottiekent.

Thats the days of John pikes daily fax chart posts I believe.

Itwas actually more like a teenage chat room some evenings,great memories.

Edited by snowbob
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Snow and more Snow!

Can't believe I have already changed my signature!

A full 10 days ahead of last year.

As many have said, it is a real shame this didn't happen a few weeks from now, we might be sat in a whiteout, having said that having falling snow this early is great!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow (but who doesnt like that)

Woke to find a small amount of snow, places like Hastings got a lot more than us.

5D10313C-E6F4-4909-AA46-CCEB3EB4029C.jpeg

BFB6B2BF-6EBC-494F-BD44-FD3F495019C8.jpeg

AE84F0D6-3205-4509-81E0-7C729051ABF5.jpeg

• Like 2

Posted
Posted
41 minutes ago, snowbob said:

Certainly was a good year for banter in that thread @TomSE12 

You really done a great job with that competition mate,and yes you’re memory is correct I was dead heat with lottiekent.

Thats the days of John pikes daily fax chart posts I believe.

Itwas actually more like a teenage chat room some evenings,great memories.

Hi sb, yes great memories (fortunately, they've returned). Suddenly remembered this morning, the flooded field at Sparrows Den. I used to pass it every day on the 314, between Hayes and Addington Village. Do you remember, someone had put a comical, inflatable, pink plastic shark, on the flooded field?? What year was that, it remained for weeks?? Never did find my "brown envelope", at Addington Village or Gravel Hill!! I was staying with my son and daughter, Antony and Hayley, in Chislehurst at the time. I used that "ill-fated" Sandilands route, a lot. Back with my wife now in Lee.

Regards,

Tom.  :hi:

Posted

Nice drone footage shows snow on Devil's Dyke

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-sussex-46287904/drone-footage-shows-snow-on-devil-s-dyke

We didn't get any snow in Dunstable (not even the surrounding hills) but happy to see that some places in the south got some 

By the way this is my first post this winter (or Autumn)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

Don't think it snowed here or did anything for that matter. 

Is December really going to be mild? Noooo. 

Posted

Most of the rainfall totals are in for stations in and around the capital.

Between 4.8 - 5.5 mm of rain fell yesterday. Quite surprising really.

Looking like we need a  very wet December to make up the shortfall. Currently 74% of annual rainfall.

Fairly non-descript outlook from the met office, looks fairly boring either way.

Posted

yep snow lying on the ground on the way home on the a23/a27 outside brighton earlier.Even though Met said no snow falling or settling this week at lower levels..FAIL

Posted
1 hour ago, SLEETY said:

yep snow lying on the ground on the way home on the a23/a27 outside brighton earlier.Even though Met said no snow falling or settling this week at lower levels..FAIL

Unless it's a raging Atlantic or a slug High Pressure they really can't get a handle on it. Especially if weather is coming from east or south east. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heat, Cold, Sun

Gritters out tonight for the first time heading into winter 2018/19 

Slate grey skies coming up for my location for the next 5 days according to met office with temps in single figures 

But it’s dry, with no heavy rain (not needed) and no Atlantic muck, which is a good thing!  

• Like 1

Posted

Just wanted to post up a photo of the flooded Rugby pitch and field at Sparrows Den, that occured in 2014. I mentioned it, in a post this morning. This field lies at the bottom of Corkscrew Hill, between Hayes and Addington, on the border of Bromley and Croydon Boroughs. The flood remained for weeks and a lot of damage occured to the properties, along this stretch of road. I can vividly remember fire engines being in attendance for weeks after, pumping out residents homes.

Sparrow's Den | Naturally

Regards,

Tom.:hi:

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Ben Lewis said:

Gritters out tonight for the first time heading into winter 2018/19 

Slate grey skies coming up for my location for the next 5 days according to met office with temps in single figures 

But it’s dry, with no heavy rain (not needed) and no Atlantic muck, which is a good thing!  

Same here, the roads were covered on the way home from work. Currently -0.4c here

• Like 1

Posted

-1.5c here and a frost on the cars and sheds. Shame the cloud will make it disappear before morning!

Edited by lottiekent
Spelling
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Brr, -2C here this morning

• Like 1

Posted

Up early again. Woken up at 3 AM, by moonlight streaming through the bedroom window. Clambered out of bed at 5, to a distinct chill in the air. A quick glance around current temps. in our region, confirms "why".  Lots of -5c to -3c's around!! So as Steve M. states, probably our first air frost of the season. Lots of de-icer to be used on car windscreens, this morning!! Along with "sticking" the kettle on , stuck the heating on "pronto". 

Now sitting down, to a nice hot cuppa, whilst digesting MeteoGroup's latest, W.F.T.W.A., this morning with our "favourite",Darren (at least it will be mild) Bett.

He started off by stating that, "clear nights at this time of year, normally spells frost". Certainly correct so far, Darren.We may start to see a bit of cloud drift in to our region, on a light easterly breeze but there should be some decent sunny spells also. Max. temps today, around 8c and similar to yesterdays. Should there be any lengthy clear spells tonight, temps. will drop close to freezing. Pretty cloudy on Friday, with a little sunshine at times, max.temps. up a notch, around 10c. Low pressure to our south tries to introduce some showers into our area, during Saturday. Max.temps  around 10c/11c. But on Sunday, high pressure to our north starts to extend more influence on our weather, dragging down a little, colder air from the N.E., max.temps back to around 9c, for the London area. Perhaps a few showers for our area but some sunny spells, too. Any clear spells overnight could lead to some patchy frost for our region. Pressure starting to rise over the U.K on Monday, dry by then and max.temp of around 8c.Then Darren stressed the uncertainty, in the further outlook. The more likely scenario, high pressure settling just to our east, over the Continent. A large area of low pressure in the N.E.Atlantic, making inroads into the U.K. This will bring some rain and milder air, on a S/S.W. flow. The second and "more unlikely scenario", will see low pressure extend over the U.K., with colder air filtering around the low, as it moves away. Darren finished by saying the milder scenario more likely to be the correct one but there is a lot of "model divergence", at the moment but hopefully the uncertainty will be cleared up and the models will converge with their suggestions, for the further outlook. Is it me or did he seem to be willing the milder scenario, to be the correct one??

That's my interpretation of the way ahead "weather-wise" from MeteoGroup for our region, over the coming week.

Managed to arrive for my Dental appt. at King's College hosp, a week ahead of the appointed date. My wife got the date mixed-up but poor Colette has her own health worries, at the moment!! But thankfully the very thoughtful staff, found a slot for me, to be seen in. Really appreciated that otherwise we would have wasted a £17 cab fare from Lee to Denmark Hill!! Really impressed with King's College. as a hospital. The staff I've had dealings with have all been thorough and dedicated in their work, a real credit to the NHS. The two children from my first marriage, were both born in Kings' excellent Maternity Unit. The young lady I saw in their Dental Dept. yesterday, was also very thorough. I'll need a lot of work done on my teeth but not before she has received a lot of details from my Neurologist and GP, concerning the Haemorrhagic Stroke, I suffered in Sept.2015. I'll have a whole range of X-Rays done in the New Year and very careful consideration will be given to any anaesthesia given, during any extracting of teeth. I was very impressed!! :clapping:

Regards,

Tom. :hi: