SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 07/11/2018

Blessed Weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms

it's something-that-may-or-may-not-vaguely-resemble-snow-ing in Hastings atm

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes!

Damn it now I've got to go out with a torch and see if I've got any!!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

Throughout this evening the Meteociel radar has been increasingly showing precipitation in the SE turning to snow. Here's the sequence from 19.00 to 21.45:

lastsnowradar_uk_vek7.gif

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes!

Can confirm it's snowing, wet sloppy flakes more snow than sleet!

• Like 2

Posted

The GFS Para model got the wintry showers / snow spot on. It was forecasting this for a few days. I'm very impressed.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW! And a good thunderstorm

Can confirm first flakes within the rain in North London! Have had to wait a painful amount of time this evening but it’s all a bonus in November! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Just drove from Hatfield 2c to Wembley 3c and it was rain all the way. Miserable really. Snow wouldn’t have settled anyway. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW! And a good thunderstorm

Amazing looking at the overall radar for the UK after having been zoomed in on our corner of the country all night. It’s really extensive now did they forecast it to be this much? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms.

The first snow of the season here in St Leonards on Sea, just 2.2 miles from the coast and 81m above sea level. Settling on some surfaces.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Up early again with a cuppa and loved reading through all your snow reports. Brought back a lot of fond memories of a few years ago, with the likes of SNOWBOB and YAMKIN. Glad to see STEVE M., got his snow as expected. Very impressed with the Dutch Radar site. Their forecast radar returns of rain turning to snow, over the high ground to the south of London, pretty much nailed it!!Posts from Snowbob (Biggin Hill) and Yamkin (Shirley), confirms that. 

A quick perusal of the current radar returns, has shown that the flow has now turned into the S.E. and a blob of ppn has turned to snow on the Sussex coast, as SenlacJack reports from St.Leonards, near Hastings. The now S.E flow has "extinguished" our streamers and lifted them north, out of our region.

Have just viewed a very interesting recording of MeteoGroup's, "Weather for the week ahead", with Nick Miller.

Nick, started off by mentioning a very cold "Thanksgiving Day" up and coming for the N.E. of the U.S.A (expected to be one of the coldest on record). Bitterly cold air sweeping S.E., out of the Arctic, due to a meandering jet stream. He then turned to yesterday's introduction, Steve M's, "bifurcating" jet stream. Stating its effects would lessen, in the coming days.

Today, much brighter and drier than yesterday. Still feeling chilly, despite a drop off, in the strength of the wind. Max.temp of around 8c, in the London area. Tonight, under clear skies and a light wind, a widespread frost developing. Still on the chilly side on Thursday, around 8c again but dry with sunny spells. Friday, still dry and bright with temps up a notch, to around 10c. Possibly some rain coming into our area for the weekend but still a lot of uncertainty in the models, about that. Max. temps around 9c or 10c, for our region. 

Into next week, early on high pressure in charge, so settled and dry with some cold, frosty nights. A deep low in the Eastern Atlantic, then tries to move towards the U.K., turning it milder and unsettled with a S/S.W,, flow. But Nick emphasised it will be a slow process, stating that it will probably arrive by the end of the week but also that there's a "small chance" that high pressure to our N/N.E., could hold off this low. If this second scenario came about, the weather would remain settled and cold. Interesting times ahead!!

That's my interpretation of the weather for the coming week in our region, according to MeteoGroup.

After my wife's eye appointment yesterday, my turn today. Another visit to King's College hospital, to their Dental dept. Have had a lot of "gip", from a wisdom (what wisdom, you cry!!) tooth. I'd always thought that term was reserved for "baby teeth", evidently not!! It's also known as a third molar. Anyway a local Dentist has suggested it needs to come out. I had a very bad experience when I was about 10, with a local dentist. On a bitterly cold Bromley morning, with no food in my stomach, this Dentist extracted a tooth, after applying insufficient anaesthetic. The Dentist went into the waiting room to get my mother to sign some forms, on returning to the Dentist's room found yours truly, "sparko" on the floor. I've had an aversion to Dentists ever since. Colette assures me today's appt. is just an assessment and the extraction will be done at a later date. Still nervous about returning to a hospital where I "died" twice, three years ago after suffering a stroke. King's are well aware that any anaesthetic procedure carried out on yours truly, has to be carefully monitored. Their Dental Department has a very good reputation, so I should be in good hands!! :whistling:

Regards,

Tom.  :hi:

Edited by TomSE12
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: deep cold and snow, Ice days

First snow in Hassocks, north of Brighton . Only 40 odd meters asl. Bit of a surprise. Looking forward to seeing the South Downs this morning

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold

Some snow still on cars but raining here in Burgess Hill, W.sussex. how exciting!!!

• Like 2