Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 07/11/2018

Blessed Weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms

Just had a graupely-sleety mess... Wind really picked up with that one!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

Heavy and all of rain here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow

Been a Ghastly day here and i can hear the heavy rain crashing against the kitchen window as i write this.Max temp of 7.4 here in Locksbottom but felt colder in the keen Easterly wind.Tomorrow looks even worse with Max temps of 4 and maybe some sleet possible.Higher spots like Biggin Hill and Knockholt in NW Kent likely to see some wet snow tomorrow although unlikely to settle i feel

P.S.Great post by TOMSE12 earlier on different types of Snow Streamers.I am a big fan of the ENE ones from an IMBY perspective !!

Edited by Hotspur62
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

As those -6c, 850 temps become more widespread over the southern N.Sea overnight shower activity should continue, well into tomorrow, as long as the direction of flow remains more or less the same. A nigh on temp. differential of around 20c, should make for a pretty unstable environment. Can we rule out thunder??

Just wanted to post up the Dutch radar, again

https://www.buienradar.nl/

Those fairly low 850's interacting with those SST's, west of Denmark. Allied to a longer sea track, shower trains have no problem, setting up.

Regards,

Tom. :hi:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow (but who doesnt like that)

Extreme heavy rain here in Rye with lots of hail, it’s very windy as well. I haven’t been able to get warm all evening. It’s knocked out our sky box a few times tonight. 

I dont think I know of a time when we have had lots of rain and it’s had ice in it nearly continuously it’s always been storms or hail never rain and hail all the time (hope that makes sense) 

its very cold

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
15 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

lots of barrel scraping in here tonight lol, 

So much so, that I'm losing the will to live!

• Like 1

Posted

all hail just broke loose! If only it was snow...

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

Pink on the radar over me right now... first lamp post look of the season. It appears to be a bit sleety.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
29 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

So much so, that I'm losing the will to live!

lol hang on in there, winter proper will arrive eventually come Smarch

• Like 1

Posted

Wow. Where did those last few months go?! 

Certainly a chill in the air IMBY. Already hunting for the lost glove from last year..

What's our feelings for this Winter??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

Anyone hoping for proper cold and snow this month look out of luck if the BBC forecast is anything to go by. They are expecting a deep low in the Atlantic to eventually push the blocking high away and bring wet and windy, mild weather as we approach December. October Fog Index 1 Weather models 0

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lassie23 said:

Anyone hoping for proper cold and snow this month look out of luck if the BBC forecast is anything to go by. They are expecting a deep low in the Atlantic to eventually push the blocking high away and bring wet and windy, mild weather as we approach December. October Fog Index 1 Weather models 0

The BBC now get thier data and forecasts from another source.. It's safe to say the new source are pretty pants... 

• Like 1

Posted

Up early again and have just digested a recording of W.F.T.W.A, this time with Nick Miller. Nick started the forecast by using one of Steve M's favourite phrases, a "bifurcating jet stream". Describing the split nature of the jet stream, at the moment. Part of it diving well south in the Atlantic and the other part being forced north around a large block of high pressure to our north, coming around that in a clockwise fashion, then returning at us from the east. This having the effect of dragging in, cold Continental air.

Today, looks like being the coldest day of the week with that "lazy" east wind continuing to strengthen. Max. temps of around 5c/6c but Nick mentioned, significant "windchill" and it will feel like, only 1 or 2 degrees, above freezing. Showers will continue to run in on the flow, with a continuing possibility of a little wintriness, over our highest ground. Winds will start to drop out tonight and in any clear spells, temps will fall to a couple of degrees above freezing. As the winds starts to veer around more to the S.E. tomorrow, temps. will recover by a degree or two. It will also feel less cold, as the wind will be quite a bit lighter. Still quite a bit of cloud around but sunny spells, too.Temps will continue to recover as we head towards the weekend, climbing to around 10c/11c by Friday/Saturday. Low pressure starts to have more influence, with rain trying to move towards us from the S.W. Into next week, sees low pressure still trying to make inroads towards the U.K but struggling against blocking high pressure, to our N. and N.E. Quite a battle commencing, as the jet stream tries to revert back to its normal path.

That's how I'd interpret the weather for the week ahead, for our region.

Not sure, I'd go along with Surrey's comments above^^^, about MeteoGroup being "pants". I think they've called this current spell, quite well. Let's see how they get on, in the next few weeks.

https://www.buienradar.nl/

Radar returns reveal some showers, running into the east of our region and a very discernible streamer, out in the English Channel, just clipping into the Kent and Sussex coast, at times, before heading away, WSW.

Regards,

Edited by TomSE12
  • Like 1

Posted

According to Meteociel, "Neige Forte", recently at Stansted Airport!!

http://www.meteociel.fr/observations-meteo/temps-reel.php?region=uk

Regards,

• Like 1

Posted

Rain...

Posted

The weather reflects my mood this morning... I have a stinking cold today.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Blimey, the clouds are almost purple this morning. Had to stick the light on for the first time this winter. Normally plenty bright enough.