Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 07/11/2018

Blessed Weather

Posted
56 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

i won't be convinced it is going to snow until a flake hits me square in the eyeballs

Would need to be some flake to get both eyeballs mate.  

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
7 minutes ago, Wimbledon88 said:

Being blootered will do that, W88?:drunk-emoji:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
1 hour ago, Badgers01 said:

just some dry frosty weather and freezing fog would suit me given the time of year. 

That’d be very nice ?? Sunny days with frosty, foggy nights. Feels too mild for mid November 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !
8 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

That’d be very nice ?? Sunny days with frosty, foggy nights. Feels too mild for mid November 

yes its quite muggy today and makes you feel a bit lethargic ... negative dew points and clear skies would be my personal holy grail ...

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Unexpectedly foggy out there this evening. All a bit spooky! Can't see the other side of the road from my front window!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Just returned home after two hours of an exhausting Neuro-Psychology appt., at Kings College hospital. Lots of memory tests, especially short term memory tests. Appt. was to see how far I've come in recovering from a stroke of 3 years ago. Felt quite strange to be back at a hospital, where I "died" twice.  Not sure how I did in the tests, struggled with some of them!! As, those of you that know it, it's a huge place with a myriad of departments and wards. It really is a brilliant hospital, with very dedicated staff. It was very difficult for Colette to be back at a hospital where she spent three very stressful months, by my bedside.

One of the tests was to remember names and professions of photos that were shown to me. At least I can still remember them now: Jim Greene(Doctor), Cuthbert Cattermole(Church Minister), Tom Webster(Postman), Phillip Armstrong(Paperboy). I took the test at 12.30, so that's pretty good. Also had to pick out photos of doors, that I'd seen, amongst many other photos of similar doors!!I found that quite difficult.

Also had to name as many words beginning with H and S, as possible but no names or place-names. Managed to get snow in there. Thought I did pretty well at that. Also remembered that we're supposed to be getting some colder weather next week and that Lassie likes Pot Noodles.  Only joking, Lass!!:oldgrin:

Got bus back through East Dulwich and remembered a lot of the roads around where I used to work in the late '70's/early '80's, in Lordship Lane.

Hope I'm still right about colder weather, next week!!  Weather seemed very mild today.

Regards,

Tom. :hi:

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
2 hours ago, Lauren said:

Unexpectedly foggy out there this evening. All a bit spooky! Can't see the other side of the road from my front window!

Nice! Wish it was foggy here 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love hot sunshine and cold snowy weather
2 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

Nice! Wish it was foggy here 

It’s a bit murky here but not full on pea soup fog. Got all excited they were putting up the Christmas lights in Rye when I was on the way up to Bellringing practice, really hope it turns cold frosty and festive now! I’ve had my first mince pie (s) already!

• Like 2

Posted
15 minutes ago, bluebell said:

It’s a bit murky here but not full on pea soup fog. Got all excited they were putting up the Christmas lights in Rye when I was on the way up to Bellringing practice, really hope it turns cold frosty and festive now! I’ve had my first mince pie (s) already!

Sounds nice and festive there. Are the lights good? They’ve just put our local ones up, too, I love Christmas lights. Just need some seasonal weather to go with them. I was tempted to get some mince pies the other day but I have a wheat allergy and our supermarket didn’t have any gluten free ones in, so will have to wait a bit longer

Posted
8 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Sounds nice and festive there. Are the lights good? They’ve just put our local ones up, too, I love Christmas lights. Just need some seasonal weather to go with them. I was tempted to get some mince pies the other day but I have a wheat allergy and our supermarket didn’t have any gluten free ones in, so will have to wait a bit longer

I’m sorry that’s  an awkward annoying allergy, well it would be for me I love eating everything! , I’ll keep my eyes peeled for wheat free ones when I’m roaming the supermarkets, tip you off if I see any that look edible! I think M&S do gluten free nice ones. 

The lights in Rye are the tasteful  little white ones draped up and down the streets, they look pretty and compliment the town as its quite historic and ‘unspoilt’ due to millions of conservation orders. I really hope we have some sparkling frost or snow that makes everywhere look pretty. Bring out the brass band and mulled wine!! 

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms

Very foggy here atm-- probably accentuated by the fact i am on top of a hill.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow events / Wind storms

Extremely misty also in Benfleet, about 10 feet of visibility down the a13, not so bad in pitsea, likely mist rolling in off of the north sea?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow (but who doesnt like that)

It’s been a very odd day, very grey, very warm most of the day and very dark. Went to pick kids up from school and it started to turn really cold. It’s also very merky here in Rye, I had to turn my light on really early today. Popped over to the mod thread and most people seem quite excited about this coming cold snap. 

Posted

Some falling snow doubtful it’ll settle looks likely next week in SE England, if you look carefully over north downs 150-200m... low countries looks to see measurable/significant snowfall, shame sea temps are warm we wouldn’t be saying that if 850hPa temperatures were colder! Cold sleety rain showers it’s going to be here.  

348BEEA4-C9C7-49E2-9FF4-567AF85F8DA8.thumb.png.88c797b7518b488bf140c57f7bf1a530.png

Edited by Daniel*
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

Some falling snow doubtful it’ll settle looks likely next week in SE England, if you look carefully over north downs 150-200m... low countries looks to see measurable/significant snowfall, shame sea temps are warm we wouldn’t be saying that if 850hPa temperatures were colder! Cold sleety rain showers it’s going to be here.  

348BEEA4-C9C7-49E2-9FF4-567AF85F8DA8.thumb.png.88c797b7518b488bf140c57f7bf1a530.png

Yep - expecting first snow here /

If not a 3 mins drive west kingsdown 240M

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
15 hours ago, Wimbledon88 said:

Looks like snowmageddon end of November beginning of December, time to dig out your snow boots, woolly jumpers, thick goats and shovels.  But the October fog index said no

Posted

It was foggy here most of yesterday, very thick from around 4pm onwards. Woken this morning to the same - just hope people remember to put their fog lights on! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Got up a lot later today, thankfully. Have been disturbing my wife lately and she especially needs her sleep, as she has a very stressful and tiring job. Have been getting up in the middle of the night and waking poor Colette up!! :oops:

"Sleep hygiene" has been a major problem for me since my stroke, exacerbated by the heatwave conditions in June and July which made our bedroom very uncomfortable. Latterly, I've been suffering from a heavy cold and lying down has made it difficult for me to breathe properly, hence I've been getting up in the middle of the night and coming downstairs. Have downloaded a couple of factsheets about "sleep hygiene". Both stress the importance of turning off a source of electrical activity, at least an hour before retiring to bed, as it stimulates the brain too much.

Have watched a recording of, Weather for the week ahead. Today starts similar to yesterday, a misty, murky beginning but still mild, although the max. temp. will be a tad cooler than yesterday, around 13c/14c. Tomorrow a S.E wind will start to freshen and promote clearer air into our region, at the same time knocking a couple of degrees off the max. temp, so around 12c but with the bonus of, long sunny spells. At the start of the week the wind will turn decisively into the east and freshen further and max. temps of around 7c/8c, will feel decidedly more chilly than of late. By mid-week max. temps. will be around 6c. There will be some cloud around at times, which could give a sprinkling of showers to eastern areas, which could be a touch wintry over any hills. This looks like being the peak of this coldish snap. As we head towards next weekend the weather looks like becoming unsettled, with rain moving up from the S./S.W., at the same time becoming milder again.

Regards,

Tom. :hi:

Edited by TomSE12
  • Thanks 1

Posted
11 hours ago, bluebell said:

I’m sorry that’s  an awkward annoying allergy, well it would be for me I love eating everything! , I’ll keep my eyes peeled for wheat free ones when I’m roaming the supermarkets, tip you off if I see any that look edible! I think M&S do gluten free nice ones. 

The lights in Rye are the tasteful  little white ones draped up and down the streets, they look pretty and compliment the town as its quite historic and ‘unspoilt’ due to millions of conservation orders. I really hope we have some sparkling frost or snow that makes everywhere look pretty. Bring out the brass band and mulled wine!! 

Thank you, I’ll check M&S. Rye is a nice town, went there some years ago for the day but in summer. The beach at Camber is great, Pontins though Our town has a brass band too through December, very festive and can’t get enough mulled wine, especially if it’s cold out.

Very dreary morning here, no fog, just low cloud. Looking forward to sunnier skies this weekend. Looking much colder next week, though not quite cold enough for snow, imho. Wonder if we’ll see scenes like this, at some point this winter?

7E88C147-1B12-4F61-841F-7D0812165CC5.jpeg

Edited by stainesbloke
  • Like 2

Posted
15 minutes ago, LightningLover said:

I just wanted to say: I'm happy this forum exists. The majority of members on here are supportive, friendly, and have a great sense of humor. The amount I've learned through other's knowledge is brilliant, and in most cases, I rely on this forum and it's knowledgeable members much more than mainstream forecasts! Whenever there is Fantastic charts appearing on model runs (Especially recently) , The atmosphere in here is buzzing & full of excitement. This also applies to the model output threads. It's strange... It's as if I can channel my excitement thorugh seeing others who are equally as excited. It almost makes the time go faster before a special weather event (I.E. 26th of may 2018, the beast from the east in february, etc.) occurs. I may have mentioned this before, but I have very mild autism & ADHD, And I''m very close to finishing school (nearing my GCSES). This forum helps me contain my excitement throughout my daily life. I hope this forum continues as it is right now for the foreseeable future.

Thank you everyone.

Nice one Lightening Lover, it’s fantastic that you find the forum so helpful and a joy to be involved in! I hope it continues to be tool to help you manage life’s ups and downs, which I am sure there will plenty more to come. Keep working hard with your GCSE’s, make the most of the subjects you enjoy (Pity there isn’t one on meteorology as you’d definitely ace that subject!) & this will make the subjects you dislike seem easier to put up with! 

For now let’s sit back endure today’s murk in expectation of some frost, fog, and maybe some ❄️ as we progress into next week! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1