Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 07/11/2018

Blessed Weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms

We had SO much rain this morning... We were stuck under that shower train, and surprisingly, we managed to cop a couple of deep rumbles of thunder! But the rain... My god! It was quite sporadic for the most part, but there was also a slow-moving torrential shower, which was mind numbingly intense. It managed to brighten up this afternoon though.

BTW, does anyone have a rain gauge of any kind situated around Hastings? I’m curious to see how much rain fell from that SW-NE moving shower train.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, very cold (inc. anticyclonic) weather
4 minutes ago, LightningLover said:

We had SO much rain this morning... We were stuck under that shower train, and surprisingly, we managed to cop a couple of deep rumbles of thunder! But the rain... My god! It was quite sporadic for the most part, but there was also a slow-moving torrential shower, which was mind numbingly intense. It managed to brighten up this afternoon though.

BTW, does anyone have a rain gauge of any kind situated around Hastings? I’m curious to see how much rain fell from that SW-NE moving shower train.

Radar accumulation suggests that the highest 24hour total near Hastings is over Sidley, which shows a total of about 40mm. Quite localised though. Most areas around there show more like 15mm

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !
1 hour ago, Reefseeker said:

Autumnal it most definitely is. BTW, Badger, how wet is Esher Common now? 

Hi RS , just got in from Esher Common it’s very boggy bit like it was last early December !! 

Edited by Badgers01
  • Like 2

Posted
45 minutes ago, Badgers01 said:

Hi RS , just got in from Esher Common it’s very boggy but like it was last early December !! 

I remember that well. Tried to walk around the back of Black Pond on the side that faces the A3; oh my goodness, well over the top of our boots went mud and water. That memory has stuck with me as a reminder not to assume the trees keep the water off!

Edited by Reefseeker
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Cold/Snowy Winter! Just SEASONAL!!

Rain, hail and thunder today!! Potentially snow in a couple of weeks?!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, Heavy snowfall, Thunder and lightning, Stormy weather

Today it started to rain at 10 am and the rain has been on and off along with the sunshine.  I am sure Thurrock has had more rain than Kent or other parts of Essex as the grass in my front and back garden is very green. I have not been watering my lawn.

I have even seen a lovely rainbow but the photograph does not do it justice.

Weather and garden 004.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

Lovely looking at all the anvils on the way to pick up bubs from ninja's. Nothing heading my way but nice all the same. 

Still quite mild.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

I quite agree Surrey. I didn;t have my phone with me, but I was just in awe of the clouds I was looking at. Had nothing like it all summer.

Posted

Agreed, more thunder than I remember all summer these past few days. As with others, my photo does not do it justice, but some beautiful dramatic skies (and flooded roads!) have accompanied the college run this afternoon, and just 5 seconds after I took this one there was lightning and thunder.

Stormy skies.jpg

• Like 4

Posted
19 minutes ago, Reefseeker said:

Agreed, more thunder than I remember all summer these past few days. As with others, my photo does not do it justice, but some beautiful dramatic skies (and flooded roads!) have accompanied the college run this afternoon, and just 5 seconds after I took this one there was lightning and thunder.

Stormy skies.jpg

Yes indeed, some awesome skyscapes this evening over the capital. Wonderful day for weather watchers. Had everything apart from snow. Proper autumn.... at last long last. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms

Sedlescombe Road North at around 10AM this Morning: (pictures courtesy of Sarah Veness)

Picture: Sarah Veness

https://www.hastingsobserver.co.uk/news/transport/main-road-into-hastings-floods-after-heavy-rain-1-8702231

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heat, Cold, Sun

Settled dry weather about to commence. Could last well into next week with it possibly turning foggy and chilly into weekend and beyond. 

Bye bye rain... you’ve outstayed your welcome. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Just arrived downstairs from my "obligatory " afternoon nap and all "hell has broken loose". Torrential rain, vivid lightning and "gunshot" thunder Easy this forecasting lark .Pfft!! Did I say earlier, "November not normally associated with thunder"!! :nonono: Get the angle of flow right and the ingredients are there. That's a pretty long sea track, from the north coast of the Brest Peninsula, N.E. to the Isle of Wight. 

Can we please have the same sort of dynamics in place for a ENE flow, a few weeks further down the line. 

Agree with Angela above, probably as much thunder as we've had all Summer, in the past few days. Heat doesn't necessarily equate to thunder, if a trigger isn't there!!

Regards,

Tom. :hi:

Edited by TomSE12
  • Like 1

Posted
12 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

I think lightning has struck a house in Eltham-

Huge bolt/ loud explosion then loudest thunder I have ever heard !

Must have been what I heard in Lee, Steve. Not quite as loud as that crash at the end of July, when St. Mildred's Church got struck, on the Sth Circular.

Regards,

Tom.:hi:

Posted
3 minutes ago, TomSE12 said:

Just arrived downstairs from my "obligatory " afternoon nap and all "hell has broken loose". Torrential rain, vivid lightning and "gunshot" thunder Easy this forecasting lark .Pfft!! Did I say earlier, "November not normally associated with thunder"!! Get the angle of flow right and the ingredients are there. That's a pretty long sea track, from the north coast of the Brest Peninsula, N.E. to the Isle of Wight. 

Can we please have the same sort of dynamics in place for a ENE flow, a few weeks further down the line. 

Agree with Angela above, probably as much thunder as we've had all Summer, in the past few days. Heat doesn't necessarily equate to thunder, if a trigger isn't there!!

Regards,

Tom. 

Looking a bit lively over your way earlier for sure.True about the thunder aswell. We always do pretty well in London area during unsettled spells, whatever the season. 

• Like 1

Posted

Probably some "orographic lift" over the Downs, aiding the situation too. Both North and South!!

Regards,

Tom. :hi:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Looks like I wasn’t imagining it as a rogue flash then about an hour ago on the A10 heading south in Cambs. Definitely lightning from those showers near London! A good 70-80 miles away! 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

It's bin-day around here today, and I just heard five rumbles of faux thunder.

• Like 1

Posted

Have forgiven Colette after her, "weather geek" comment of this morning. Back on kitchen duties tonight after having yesterday off, due to it being her birthday, she has just  served up a delicious lamb roast!! :clapping:

Lots of sferics to the south of London now but that conveyor belt of showers should soon be turned off.

As Ben L stated above, the weather about to settle down, with a ridge of high pressure building in. Perhaps fog becoming more of an issue, as winds eventually fall light.

Regards,

Tom.  :hi:

Edited by TomSE12

Posted

I see excitement is growing on the MAD thread for some much colder weather in 7-10 days, time. What an incredible turnaround that would be and quite a shock to the system!!

Regards,

Tom. :hi::cold:

Edited by TomSE12