Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 07/11/2018

Blessed Weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Quite a stunning sight when driving between kings lynn and home seeing a huge line of storms against the mostly clear skies before hand. Saw a few flashes of pink lightning before driving through some heavy rain. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather
3 minutes ago, Katrine Basso said:

Luckily the fireworks stopped when the rain started. I hope this will be the last of any fireworks going off in South Ockendon.

Hi Katrine, you may see some natural fireworks, those sferics aren't too far away from you, or here for that matter!! :help:

Regards,

Tom. :hi:

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, Heavy snowfall, Thunder and lightning, Stormy weather

Hello Tom, Thank you for the information about the lightning. I have just heard thunder (not sure about the lightning yet as my window blinds were down).

• Like 1

Posted

Hailstorm thunder and lightning here - crazy weather . Tv’s just lost signal too. We’re under the bright red 

Edited by c00ps

Posted

Just want to take the liberty of posting up a video clip of weatherman Ian Currie, talking about Frost Fairs on the frozen Thames.

Myself and my wife, saw Ian perform this talk yesterday morning. I have now seen it three times and havn't grown tired of it it.

I love the way Ian spontaneously, breaks into rhyme!! He has amazing recall, mind I'd like a couple of £'s for every time he's performed this talk.

I want a jumper like his!!

Regards,

Tom.  :hi:

Edited by TomSE12
  • Like 1

Posted

Rain now petered out here.

Regards,

Posted

Torrential rain again here. Very welcome. 18.3mm today. Much needed. More incoming from SW. Not a great night for fireworks. The park now very muddy underfoot. Proper autumn weather at last. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms

Bexhill-On-Sea just had some of the heaviest rain I’ve seen since 26th May this year. Absolutely smashed it down for around 2 minutes. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow (but who doesnt like that)

Well what an evening, took the kids out to our local bonfire, it’s a massive event. Well  the BBC forecast said it was light rain, I though that’s ok we will take umbrellas and wellies and waterproofs. Oh my god I have never seen rain like it apart from in Dubai. It was torrential and it didn’t stop we got socked right through and left before the fireworks boooooooooooo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Some extremely heavy showers have been rattling through this evening. They don’t last for long but they are torrential, very noisy!

Posted

Up early again, for some hot lemon to alleviate cold symptoms. Just seen a forecast with the lovely Helen Willetts, who was being accompanied by yet another steady shower, outside. Helen suggested that this current batch of showers should have moved north of this area by 11 am, although not guaranteeing it being totally dry by then.

My wife and I are hoping to attend an Armistice Day service, at our local church. Hope it will be dry by then, as we're having part of the service outside, next to a monument for War dead. Colette and myself are both suffering from colds, another reason for wanting a dry spell, later this morning.

It's also Colette's 53rd birthday. She still wanted to cook myself and my Stepson, a lasagne tonight but we've insisted she has a break from kitchen duties today, as it's her birthday and she's not well. Possibly, a nice Chinese.

Colette was born during the very cold November of 1965. That's some archive chart below, to have as a birth date chart.

archives-1965-11-11-12-0.png

Like myself, Colette was born in Bromley, N.W.Kent/S.E.London border. My Mother-In-Law, told Colette that she could remember holding her newborn baby and gazing at the snow, outside the maternity unit, in Bromley.

Below, is an account of that very cold and snowy, November. It cones from Trevor Harley's excellent, weather website.

Quote:

"1965 The month was one of the snowiest on record with some notable cold spells. Strong winds caused the collapse of five out of the eight cooling towers of Ferrybridge Power Station (Doncaster) on the 1st, when gusts of 85 mph interacted with the design of the power station. The cold air moved in on the 13th. There was some heavy snowfall, laying for for 10 days in Lincs. There was heavy snow on Dartmoor on the 14th. -14C was recorded at Braemar early on the 15th; freezing fog on the 15th at Ross-on-Wye, with a maximum of -2C. It was windy on the 16th as an intense depression approached. Blizzards in Wales and the north. Less cold for a while, but more cold weather returned on the 21st. There was snow in the east on the 22nd, with a hard frost. There was heavy snow in the borders on the 25th, with seven foot deep drifts in the Lake District. more gales and rain in on the 27th. The worst weather came on the 29th, with severe gales and heavy snow, and a pressure of only 962mbars at Humberside. Snow lay in east Scotland from the 13th to the end of the month, and was nearly 2' deep in Durham."

Here's hoping we see something similar, in the coming weeks. :whistling: I mentioned this month to Ian Currie, at that weather talk the other day and he reminded me, that the following January saw some severe wintry weather in the S.E., and cited some of the "stats" below, again from Trevor Harley's excellent website:

JAN.1966

Quote:

"1966 Cold, dry, and dull. It was -19C on the morning of the 19th at Elmstone in Kent, with a maximum later that day of only -4C. The sea froze over at Pegwell Bay. Much snow in the east 14-22nd. An ice storm affected the south on the 20th as a depression hit the cold polar continental air brought in on the easterlies."

Finally, very concerned for my nephew, his American wife and family, at the moment. They live in California, just north of Los Angeles and very close to those devastating wildfires. Exactly a year ago, they experienced very similar conditions but fortunately, they and their home, were unaffected. I pray they are as fortunate, this time around. They could really do with some of the rain, we're experiencing at the moment!!

Regards,

• Like 4

Posted

Have come downstairs again, to take blood pressure medication. Yet another heavy shower is falling outside and just heard a crash of thunder!! :help: Really hope these heavy showers have moved away north, by the time Colette and I leave for the Armistice Day service, at our local church at around 10 AM.

Just had some really intense rainfall. 

https://en.meteox.com/en-gb?fc=0&lightning=1

Regards,

Posted

not  nice weather  pouring down here

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heat, Cold, Sun
3 hours ago, Surrey said:

Managed to get the fireworks off the ground last night in a hour of dry weather before more rain.. 

Zero thunder zero lightning which was a waste and the local river to me is prone to flash flooding its now broken its banks. 

More mild dross on the cards next week... Although not as much rain as this week 

At least the fireworks had lift off @Surrey hope it went well. 

Yes chance of a little bit of a dry out next week, ground soaked here and stream and river levels looked higher than normal on the dog walk this morning. 

Hoping that nice anticyclone sets up this time next week as shown on some mods. 

No more heavy rain forecast here at least in the reliable, thank god. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms

We are stuck under a band of torrential showers in Bexhill, some hail is mixed in, too!

• Like 1

Posted
4 hours ago, Surrey said:

Managed to get the fireworks off the ground last night in a hour of dry weather before more rain.. 

Zero thunder zero lightning which was a waste and the local river to me is prone to flash flooding its now broken its banks. 

More mild dross on the cards next week... Although not as much rain as this week 

I wondered last night how your fireworks were going; around here despite the constant rainfall plenty of fireworks went off, but I felt sorry for those running and attending displays. On the  bright side, the roasties and yorkshire puddings were fab-u-lous last night:) At least 12-hours of constant rain seem to have ended for now giving us mostly blue skies this morning, although the clouds are ever-present. As you say, fingers crossed for some improvements as the week continues; I need some useable weather this week to get out with a camera in London.

• Like 1

Posted

Recently returned home from a very nice Armistice Day service, at our local church. Thankfully the weather improved dramatically, after 9 or so. Just experienced a very light, squally shower on the short walk to church. Apologies to any members that got held up on St.Mildred's Avenue (part of London's Sth.Circular), at about 10.45, for a short while. The police closed the road, so that the congregation could gather around the War Memorial, between the church and the main road. It was nice to remember all War dead. Had some quiet time to think about my father's brother, Uncle Tommy. I was named after him, in his honour. Uncle Tommy was killed at the tender age of 19, at the start of the 2nd World War, just outside of Caen, N.W.France. He was buried in the Allies War Cemetery at Banneville-La-Campagne, just east of Caen.

Very pleasant walk home from church in bright sunshine and noticed the wind had turned to a more definitive w.s.w., as clouds were blowing from wsw to ene, along the Sth.Circular.

Still some showers expected for southern portions of our area, especially E.Sussex and Kent.There could still be one or two on the heavy side.

Hope you all enjoy your Sunday. Looking forward to my wife's Chinese takeaway birthday treat, tonight.

Regards,

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados

No new posts for 8hrs,man we need an epic cold spell to get this forum buzzing,lol,hope you've had a good weekend,I recently joined the man v fat programme at bexhill,so at the ripe old age of 42,I have dug the footy boots out again,we play on friday evenings,needless to say,I looked like a drowned rat,playing in a deluge was something else,then last night,it was my home towns firework display in Rye,and sadly the rain couldn't hold off,so for 2nd time in 24hrs,I got soaked to the skin,beautiful.Have a good monday all

• Like 1

Posted

Had a lot of rain yesterday torrential ‘trails’ ~30mm perhaps wettest day of year in my end. Much nicer today.

50F756A7-D0AE-4FB4-9117-CD148E992400.thumb.jpeg.840c01f9a7752ee86a7a99032613c6a5.jpeg

Edited by Daniel*
  • Like 1

Posted

Up early again with a cuppa and have digested my early morning recording of, "Weather for the week ahead", performed by Ben Rich

Those heavy, squally showers of the weekend, have finally departed our region. An overhang of cloud, from a warm front over N.E.France has infiltrated our region with rain "teasing" the Essex/Kent coastline. Mainly dry weather should prevail today, although one or two showers can't be ruled out. Max. temps should reach around 14c in the London area and it will feel pleasant, in any sunshine. Although today is likely to be the coolest day of the week.

High pressure, way to our east over Russia will start to have more influence over our weather, in the next few days. So becoming more settled, winds still from a southerly point, so staying mild. We remain under a slight ridge of high pressure, associated with a high, way to our south. So, fronts out in the Atlantic being held way out west of us. As winds fall light, we may start to be affected by fog at night. This may be slow to clear, towards the end of the week and "anticyclonic gloom", may enter the forecast!! Max. temps may reach 17c on Thursday, in the London area, which is likely to be the warmest day of the week.

High pressure may then start to migrate north westwards by the weekend and settle over Scandinavia. We could then start to import some cooler air, from the east. That's my interpretation of the "Weather for the week ahead" forecast, for our area.

Regards,

Edited by TomSE12
  • Like 1

Posted

MeteoGroup seem to be putting more emphasis on showers for our region today, than I originally thought, running in on a  S.W. wind. One or two could still be on the sharp side, with a few rumbles of thunder. The weather then settling down after today, as a ridge of high pressure builds in, killing off the shower risk.

Regards,

Tom.  :hi:

Edited by TomSE12
  • Like 1