Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 07/11/2018

Blessed Weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather
2 minutes ago, zakarias285 said:

any thoughts on where the showers/thunderstorms are likely to pop up today?

There's likely to be a band of organised showers, possibly heavy with hail and thunder, crossing our region, by late morning.

Thereafter, further showers are likely, especially in the south of the region, with still the threat of hail and thunder.

Regards,

Tom. :hi:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, Heavy snowfall, Thunder and lightning, Stormy weather
4 minutes ago, zakarias285 said:

any thoughts on where the showers/thunderstorms are likely to pop up today?

The weather forecast for Thurrock (Met Office weather station in  Gravesend, Kent) says that there is a 40% of rain at 3pm and 60% chance of rain at 4pm.  Then it forecasts for 7pm is 50% chance of rain and at 8pm 80% of rain until midnight.

• Like 1

Posted

Just seen the latest MeteoGroup forecast with Chris Fawkes, which suggested showers were more likely to be fairly widespread over our region, this afternoon. He then emphasised, the heavy nature of showers during the overnight period, for southern coastal regions.

Regards,

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, Heavy snowfall, Thunder and lightning, Stormy weather

It is a big difference to yesterday with wind and rain.  It is much brighter and sunnier and I woke up to a clear pale blue sky. Then the sky clouded over at 11:00 am with the sun disappearing from sight. There is sporadic stratocumulus and cumulus cloud cover at 12:00 temperature is 12 °C but feels more like 10°C.

Last night the wind was so bad, my windows were rattling in the wind. At first I thought I missed out on the rain as when I looked at the back garden there was nothing but when I looked at the front garden it was raining heavily. 

Edited by Katrine Basso
Remove space

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
16 hours ago, Reefseeker said:

That sounds very nice and well-earned indeed after battling your way through the weather ?️ Durlston Castle is actually the only Swanage walk I know; most visitors seem to do the town and seafront, and also Corfe Castle for a trip by car (or perhaps the little train), or along to Studland beach and the Sandbanks chain ferry by car or bike if it is not too busy, which I don't imagine it will be given the forecast. Old Harry Rocks is close by but I am unsure of the walking distance. We are awaiting the morning's forecasts before our final decision although I do like a good storm by the sea. Will be gutted not to do the Sandbanks beach walk tomorrow if we don't go. You are right, the Thames really delivers in foggy weather, fingers crossed for some when this current round of rain clears off.  Have a lovely weekend:)

Thank you. Very nice morning here but some hefty showers passing through now, some very dramatic skies beforehand. Feeling very mild and the wind has calmed right down from last night’s storm. Walked into town from Herston, might get the steam train back if it’s wet. Not really a day for long walks, hopefully tomorrow won’t be so showery. Did you decide to come down today? 

8622F5D5-67D9-4DCA-85F7-CB7271289B6A.jpeg

• Like 3

Posted

Sounds like you made all the right choices to get the most out of it:) Family decided against it in the end as the gaps between the rain from lunchtime onwards just didn't seem to be long enough to warrant a trip; maybe next weekend. Looking at the radar it's quite heavy in your direction now. Instead it looks like we will be at home doing housework.... SOOO not what we had planned. The clouds are covering the sky now and the first bit of rain has passed through, but the heavy stuff looks due in an hour or so. Enjoy a cosy afternoon if it's too wet to walk.

• Like 1

Posted
4 hours ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Yes, my favourite setups are 91 and 87 types and they tend to affect the SE heavily, and as that includes London, there are always lots of news snippets around so i tend to post quite a lot about those events in the SE regional thread.

Always good to see old YouTube vids of  news coverage of proper exciting weather.

Generally pretty boring weather in SE so it's good to see what it was like in the past when there must have been real weather events here. 

• Like 1

Posted

Looks like MeteoGroup called today correctly, with any showers arriving P.M., rather than A.M. All the morning action has taken place to our west. As Reefseeker states above, some heavy showers knocking on our doorstep now, nothing too electrical yet though.

Regards,

Edited by TomSE12
  • Like 2

Posted

Much more electrical activity showing up now, some strikes over W.Sussex and just coming into W.London. Also quite a clump, just leaving the Cherbourg Peninsula, heading N.E, towards the Sussex coast.

Regards,

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
2 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

8622F5D5-67D9-4DCA-85F7-CB7271289B6A.jpeg

That's my fishing spot in the left of that picture - Ballard down. I usually get cut off with the tide over there.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
27 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

That's my fishing spot in the left of that picture - Ballard down. I usually get cut off with the tide over there.

Very nice! Lucky you, it’s a beautiful spot. Plenty of debris from last nights gale. Went to the Crow’s Nest for lunch. Do you live close by? Got some pics of the shower clouds passing through. Caught the last steam train back to Herston too, a nice treat!

F0797D33-B0C9-4920-AC8C-6E89E555EFA8.jpeg

A2FC4533-2118-4D38-99D1-5F04777D993B.jpeg

A2B51537-0699-43D6-BFA9-A2CECE434B45.jpeg

Edited by stainesbloke
  • Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, TomSE12 said:

Looks like MeteoGroup called today correctly, with any showers arriving P.M., rather than A.M. All the morning action has taken place to our west. As Reefseeker states above, some heavy showers knocking on our doorstep now, nothing too electrical yet though.

Regards,

Yes indeed, it took a little longer than expected to get here, but by 3 we were well into torrential rain and rolls of thunder which have continued in much the same vein this afternoon. Looking at the radar we seem to be on the eastern side of it running in a line from the northern France through to the Portsmouth area; I wonder if it will continue to feed NE-ish rather than move from west to east.

• Like 2

Posted

Hi Angela,

Yes, has seemed like an eternity to arrive but certainly MeteoGroup seemed to have been more accurate than other forecasts, re. timing. Those sferics leaving Cherbourg seemed to have died off, mid-channel. Think we can still expect some lively showers arriving in southern areas of our region, overnight. Angle of flow, unstable air aloft and relatively high SST's, the ingredients are there. Heard plenty of thunder in November during my lifetime, in similar set-ups.

Regards,

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Still waiting for the rain which was forecast yo be all day long!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heat, Cold, Sun

Been a decent Saturday here considering. Sunny this morning then partly sunny this afternoon. 

Half hour of heavy rain around 2pm.

thunder & lightning more rare than snow here so not surprised to see that nothing materialised across the region (yet) 

• Like 1

Posted

Finally just had torrential downpour, here in S.E.London.

Regards,

• Like 1

Posted

Another torrential downpour here with plenty of sferics again in the Channel, heading towards the Sussex coast.

Regards,

Tom.  :hi:

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, TomSE12 said:

Another torrential downpour here with plenty of sferics again in the Channel, heading towards the Sussex coast.

Regards,

Spot on - they have just arrived! Heavy rain, lightning and thunder here in West Sussex at the moment.

• Like 2

Posted
35 minutes ago, TomSE12 said:

Regards,

I can see from the radar that the lo-o-o-ong tail of heavy rain from northern France that has led to us abandoning our plans to visit the south coast and had us under heavy rain and thunder for the whole afternoon is invigorating now, and getting more of a west to east component. At least it means those on here waiting for rain and storms finally get in on the 'action' (or utterly depressing afternoon, depending on your preference). And so I got to spend the afternoon getting the attic cleaned listening to music and accompanied by heavy rain on the roof and rolls of thunder; all very atmospheric looking out on the angry skies. Roasties are in the oven with yorkshire puddings and a homemade veggie pie to set us up for a cosy autumn evening, while the lad is livestreaming on his YouTube channel to his followers who seem to be enjoying it. So, you know, lemons, lemonade and all that. And it is absolutely chucking it down still!

Edited by Reefseeker
  • Like 2

Posted

Yes Angela, we've been under a stream of on and off heavy showers, for just over an hour now. Fortunately, for Brontophobic moi, electrical activity has stayed to the south so far, Sussex and now showing signs of moving into Kent. Think that whole train, is gradually moving north-eastwards. Still pouring, as I type!!

Regards,

• Like 2

Posted

It started to rain very heavily at 6:15pm and according to the Met Office weather forecast, South Ockendon is supposed to be getting light rain.  I remember at time  in September that it rained very heavily when it was forecasted to be dry. There is not a weather station for Essex and it is in Kent.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

Very heavy rain here now.

• Like 1

Posted

Latest radar grab shows that "train" now lifting out, east of the Meridian. Now have my eyes on that "train", just to the west, entering Dorset/Hants, which could electrify and another thundery "train", entering Cornwall. Looks like being a very showery night for southern areas of our are region, with still the risk of hail and thunder.

Regards,

Edited by TomSE12

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Apart from yet more bloody fireworks, it's been zip, zilch, nada!

Posted

Luckily the fireworks stopped when the rain started. I hope this will be the last of any fireworks going off in South Ockendon.