Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 07/11/2018

Blessed Weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, Heavy snowfall, Thunder and lightning, Stormy weather

Yesterday was wet and windy.  The wind was quite noisy.

It is a lovely sunny morning.  Pale blue sky with stratocumulus clouds.  The temperature is 9 °C but it feels more like 7 °C.  I am looking forward to the thunder and lightning show as there has been very little lightning this year in Thurrock.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I'm starting to worry at the consequences of a dry winter; though there's been enough rain, since mid-August, to keep things green, I bet one needn't dig down too far to find the dry?

I think we need a pretty drastic top-up...?☔

• Like 1

Posted

Yes, rain is needed in SE London too. If only so I can get the dog washed while we walk in a shower of rain :) Pretty mild here in St James' this morning. yesterday I drove to reading in the dark and rain yesterday. hate driving in those conditions.

Posted
47 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

I'm starting to worry at the consequences of a dry winter; though there's been enough rain, since mid-August, to keep things green, I bet one needn't dig down too far to find the dry?

I think we need a pretty drastic top-up...?☔

Very much so. 

Been digging quite alot on the allotment recently and it's totally dry at about 10cm down. 

We have had 438mm rain this year in the capital so far , that's 77% of normal so we need a good dose of rain in Nov and Dec. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heat, Cold, Sun
1 hour ago, Wimbledon88 said:

Yes indeed, autumn can certainly throw up some proper interesting weather. Bright and sunny at 9.4c here just now. 

Looking good for replenishing rains over next few days, and pretty mild too. Proper autumn weather. 

Hi @Wimbledon88

What does ‘proper autumn weather’ mean?

So far this autumn is been lovely autumnal weather, bright sunny days, frosty mornings, cold days, mild days and rainy days. 

Lovely autumnal colours against a backdrop of blue sky days equally against a backdrop of wet rainy grey days. 

Leaves fallen/falling

Ground is drenched here with the bogged field muddy dog walks. Mums allotment seems to be doing really. 

We must have our own micro climate up here in Bedfordshire. Replenshing rains started weeks ago. 

Autumn doing Autumn really well so far considering it’s only 8th November. 

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Ben Lewis said:

Hi @Wimbledon88

What does ‘proper autumn weather’ mean?

So far this autumn is been lovely autumnal weather, bright sunny days, frosty mornings, cold days, mild days and rainy days. 

Lovely autumnal colours against a backdrop of blue sky days equally against a backdrop of wet rainy grey days. 

Leaves fallen/falling

Ground is drenched here with the bogged field muddy dog walks. Mums allotment seems to be doing really. 

We must have our own micro climate up here in Bedfordshire. Replenshing rains started weeks ago. 

Autumn doing Autumn really well so far considering it’s only 8th November. 

That's probably true, you probably get slightly more rainfall up there than down here in South London. 

SMDs are actually increasing down here despite some rain recently, 79% of long term average rainfall, according to Thames Water.The pervelance of clay soil doesn't help. 

So in short we need alot of rain to make up the shortfall. Last thing we need is a hose pipe ban next summer. It was a close call this year. 

• Like 2

Posted

Dry, sunny and 12.7C. November days don't come much better than this.:oldgood:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heat, Cold, Sun
51 minutes ago, Wimbledon88 said:

That's probably true, you probably get slightly more rainfall up there than down here in South London. 

SMDs are actually increasing down here despite some rain recently, 79% of long term average rainfall, according to Thames Water.The pervelance of clay soil doesn't help. 

So in short we need alot of rain to make up the shortfall. Last thing we need is a hose pipe ban next summer. It was a close call this year. 

Thanks for replying 

I understand about your shortfall of rain.

I was just wondering what you meant by ‘proper autumn weather’ as autumn kicked off really well so far this year with everything but the kitchen sink thrown in and even had sleet at end of October here. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Very pleasant autumn day here with lots of sunshine. Feeling mild out of the quite blustery S’ly breeze. No lightning here last night, I’d like to see some but think the coast might be better placed. Am off to Swanage in Dorset tomorrow for a long weekend break in a log cabin. Hoping for some usable walking weather.

• Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Very pleasant autumn day here with lots of sunshine. Feeling mild out of the quite blustery S’ly breeze. No lightning here last night, I’d like to see some but think the coast might be better placed. Am off to Swanage in Dorset tomorrow for a long weekend break in a log cabin. Hoping for some usable walking weather.

It'll do wonders for the annual sunshine total...☀️

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

Some rain this morning, saw 2 rainbows. Not that cold really. A bit blowy. periods of cloud and sun.

Posted
1 hour ago, stainesbloke said:

Did you get the squally stuff just before 10 last night? Bucketed down with swirling winds here for about 5-10 minutes, then it was all over. We are off to Sandbanks this weekend but having second thoughts as the BBC forecasts are showing heavy rain over the south coast. Very much hoping it goes a bit further north or south and leaves it all clear for some lovely beach walks.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Really frustrated tonight, after months of planning for local weatherman Ian Currie to perform a talk at our over-60's local Church group, we've had to postpone the talk. We've both caught a heavy cold!! Sod's law, it would be this week but he has a sore throat and a chesty cough and it would've been impossible for Ian, to perform his talk!! It was scheduled for tomorrow morning but we've postponed until the new year.

Was looking forward to asking Ian about his thoughts for the rest of November and if he has any views yet, on the coming Winter.

Forecasts still suggesting some heavy, squally, thundery showers over the weekend, especially for southern areas of our region.

Some hot honey and lemon for me now and an early night, beckons.

Regards,

Tom.  :hi:

• Like 3

Posted

Seems everyone is catching lurgy Tom last winter was a bad one this one probably going to be just as bad, if worse. A nice day today although not too enjoyable with it being so mild.

The crisp, cold mornings can’t come round soon enough fairly good hopes for a cooling trend as we approach final week. Cold frosty start to winter would be nice.  

Posted
6 hours ago, Daniel* said:

Seems everyone is catching lurgy Tom last winter was a bad one this one probably going to be just as bad, if worse. A nice day today although not too enjoyable with it being so mild.

The crisp, cold mornings can’t come round soon enough fairly good hopes for a cooling trend as we approach final week. Cold frosty start to winter would be nice.  

Hi Daniel,

Yes there's a lot of it around now. My Stepson has a bad dose of it and my wife works at a Care Home and is always exposed to viruses. Both Colette and myself had the flu "jab" a few weeks ago but, as you know it doesn't protect you against a cold virus.

I spoke to Mr. Currie's wife last night and he sounds quite rough. He would've faced a long drive up from Storrington, in West Sussex and our church, is big and cold. I don't think Ian's voice would've held out for the length of time he would've spoken for. He gets very animated during his talks, I've seen this particular talk twice already. Best to save it for the new year, when hopefully we're both fit and well. Wanted to ask Ian for his thoughts on the coming Winter but I can do that on the phone and I'll report back afterwards.

Very disturbed period of weather coming up, over the next few days. It will then settle down next week. Helen Willetts just used the term "Anticyclonic gloom", to describe the weather at times next week. High pressure set to make a comeback with some foggy nights on the menu and calm, overcast days with the Atlantic, running out of "steam", for the time being.

Regards,

Tom.  :hi:

Edited by TomSE12
  • Like 2

Posted

Just seen on the local news that it's the 2 year anniversary of that tragic tram derailment at Sandilands, just outside of Croydon. I used to travel on that line frequently, commuting to my work in Croydon. When I was living with my children in Chislehurst, I would take  a bus to Addington Village tram stop, then a tram on to George Street, Croydon. That's a very sharp left hand turn coming out of the tunnel, as you approach Sandilands, the speed limit is a mere 12 mph. Some of you may have travelled, on that same line.

Looks like some appreciable rain will finally reach us this evening with a strong and gusty S wind, veering S.W. overnight as the rain clears. Weekend still looking unsettled and showery.  Showers are likely to be squally and heavy, possibly with hail and thunder, especially down towards the south coast. After a fairly chilly start today, temps will be relatively mild over the weekend and no frost at night. The weather then looks to settle down next week with perhaps some "Autumnal" fog being the main focus, of the region's weather.

Regards,

Tom. :hi:

Posted
1 hour ago, TomSE12 said:

Just seen on the local news that it's the 2 year anniversary of that tragic tram derailment at Sandilands, just outside of Croydon. I used to travel on that line frequently, commuting to my work in Croydon. When I was living with my children in Chislehurst, I would take  a bus to Addington Village tram stop, then a tram on to George Street, Croydon. That's a very sharp left hand turn coming out of the tunnel, as you approach Sandilands, the speed limit is a mere 12 mph. Some of you may have travelled, on that same line.

Looks like some appreciable rain will finally reach us this evening with a strong and gusty S wind, veering S.W. overnight as the rain clears. Weekend still looking unsettled and showery.  Showers are likely to be squally and heavy, possibly with hail and thunder, especially down towards the south coast. After a fairly chilly start today, temps will be relatively mild over the weekend and no frost at night. The weather then looks to settle down next week with perhaps some "Autumnal" fog being the main focus, of the region's weather.

Regards,

Tom. 

Goodness is it two years since the tram crash, terrible accident. RIP. Always remember how little coverage it got due to Trump being elected the same night. 

Bit nippy at 8.8c here. Looking lively later and over the weekend. Good weekend to dig over the allotment methinks. Love being out in the wet and wild weather. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
18 hours ago, Reefseeker said:

Did you get the squally stuff just before 10 last night? Bucketed down with swirling winds here for about 5-10 minutes, then it was all over. We are off to Sandbanks this weekend but having second thoughts as the BBC forecasts are showing heavy rain over the south coast. Very much hoping it goes a bit further north or south and leaves it all clear for some lovely beach walks.

Yes! No lightning though. Haven’t seen any of that for ages. So you’ll be just up the road this weekend. It’s a bit of a mixed forecast, the main message I got was prepare for heavy showers but there should be spells of sunshine too, with some blustery winds. Hopefully there’ll be enough dry slots to go for decent walks, etc. Are you staying in Sandbanks all weekend? Have a great time

• Like 1

Posted

You're right, it's not been much of a summer for thunder and lightning, ah well, snow to look forward to for the next few months... Yes, Sandbanks for the weekend; I am hoping husband and son won't wuss out of it now that there's rain in the forecast, as I like a bit of wild and woolly walking in the autumnal weather myself. Have you done the Durlston Castle walk from the back-end of Swanage through the fields and cliffs then back around to Swanage again? We usually fit that in over the summer but not this year.

Next week I hope the clearer frostier stuff makes a return, perhaps with some nice atmospheric foggy starts, as per @TomSE12 and

@Daniel*

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, Heavy snowfall, Thunder and lightning, Stormy weather

Earlier on in the day around 8 am it was quite sunny but that it did not last and now it has clouded over and the temperature is 12 °C but feels more like 10 °C.  It is also quite breezy.  I am looking forward to foggy days where there is dense fog that lingers on until the early to mid afternoon.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

Bubs take home task done. teacher wowed, class wowed, big smile on bubs, happy mum. Now I need to sort out the wreak of a kitchen table. \o/

Cloudy and mild, hardly any breeze.

It will rain next saturday, btw.

Posted

After thinking that this morning's over-60's Church Group talk, by local weatherman Ian Currie, had been postponed, due to him going "down" with a nasty cold, got a surprise phone call from his wife at 8.30 to say that Ian didn't want to let me down and was already on his way up to Lee from West Sussex, bless him!! So hurriedly shot upstairs for a quick shave and set off to meet Ian, for 10 am. The talk was a huge success and, as is his "want", Ian overran by a little way (once he start's talking about the weather, there's no stopping him!!:nonono:) This is now the third time I've seen this talk (about Frost Fairs on the Thames, based on his book) and my wife and I, thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm hoping that he'll come back and perform another talk on the weather, perhaps the "History of Weather Forecasting", "Weather Lore" or "London's "Hurricane""? 

Didn't get a chance to ask him about his early thoughts on the coming Winter but he did think that the second half of November, would be more settled and colder than of late. It was so nice to see him again, after such a long time. He's so enthusiastic about his subject. It was his book, "The Kent County Weather book", that further fired up my interest in Meteorology, many moons ago.

Regards,

Tom. :hi:

• Like 1