Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 07/11/2018

Blessed Weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

An interesting report has just been published by Dan Holley, Weatherquest, about the changing climate in East Anglia. Some highlights:

• average annual mean temperature during the past decade (2008-2017) has increased by 1.0°C compared to the climatological 30-year average (1961-1990).
  • reduction in the frequency of frosts, with approximately 8 fewer air frosts in an average year - a decrease of 16%.
  • rainfall in the region has increased by just over 3% compared to the 1961-1990 baseline, translating to an extra 20mm or so in an average year.
  • sunshine hours increased by just over 7% during the past decade in East Anglia, equating to an extra 111 hours of sunshine in an average year.

1590460004_EastAngliaClimateChange.thumb.jpg.55aea3a95b09c4488a72a77a5a778b96.jpg

Link to full report: https://altocu.blogspot.com/2018/11/east-anglias-changing-climate.html

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Good morning everyone;

GIven we are approaching the upcoming winter, I thought it would be good to have a new thread. As usual try to keep to some level of weather related chat in here and of course be polite and repsectful in your posting.

Thankyou and yes winter is coming (Even if we do spend most of it wearing shorts) 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold

Some much needed rain this morning for the southeast of England. Hopefully more to come later this week as well

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

A blustery morning here with some heavy rain. Not cold though at 12C. 

Posted
1 hour ago, shotski said:

Some much needed rain this morning for the southeast of England. Hopefully more to come later this week as well

Yes indeed, and about time too. Freshens everything up, lots of leaves off the trees overnight too, proper autumn weather at last. Still quite mild though 12.3c. Hopefully some big showers later. Later in week looks wet and windy too. 

Posted
28 minutes ago, Wimbledon88 said:

A nice crop of heavy possibly thundery showers heading up towards the capital from the south west. Certainly a lively day out there now, proper weather. 

And about time too.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Dry, cloudy and blowing a hoolie, 13C...So not all mild weather is boring!?️

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Meant to be raining hard all day today. Barely had a drop. Even radar says it's raining but it's not. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

November sucks

1 minute ago, Lauren said:

Meant to be raining hard all day today. Barely had a drop. Even radar says it's raining but it's not. 

i never knew you were a forum team member

Posted
27 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

November sucks

i never knew you were a forum team member

It's a recent development ☺️

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
15 minutes ago, Lauren said:

It's a recent development ☺️

Congrats, Lauren...:drunk::drinks::clap:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms

It's been a very active day weather-wise in Hastings. The wind has been quite strong all day, and at around lunchtime, a very intense line of showers moved through (a squall-line like feature on radar; I wish I had taken a screenshot, as we were right under the white/light purple colours on NW radar!) It was very brief, but the rain was absolutely mental! An hour ago there was also a very clear rainbow, despite the fact no rain was falling overhead.

BTW, Power to you, Lauren!

• Like 2

Posted

According to Lightning Maps, There was some sporadic lightning strikes in the channel a few minutes ago... I think I Missed it though.

Posted

Don't y'all go treating me any differently now. I've been here forever. I'm one of you, except now with buttons!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted

HUGE flashes of lightning in the channel!! Came out of nowhere! I literally just poked my head out the window!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love hot sunshine and cold snowy weather
13 minutes ago, LightningLover said:

HUGE flashes of lightning in the channel!! Came out of nowhere! I literally just poked my head out the window!!

Missed that but heard the pummelling of heavy rain on the roof, was taking a bath so couldn’t rush out to look! Glad netball match was cancelled would’ve been thoroughly depressing playing in that.

Things in the ‘hunting down cold model thread’ really hotting up ‘Newcastle man/woman with snow in the title’ (forget his real username) versus everyone else it seems, putting up a good fight without getting defensive, commedable as it’s hard to remain in control I imagine.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !

Lively day weather wise 13 mm recorded day - last of the autumn colours on Esher common today. The Acer in our back garden is at its peak today for vibrant colour. 

76852E7A-F86C-4DDF-B4F0-303B5CD4CE05.jpeg

F16C4E4E-50EF-400A-8E0B-8545D177AF8D.jpeg

• Like 2

Posted

Did I just hear thunder????

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather
44 minutes ago, LightningLover said:

https://en.meteox.com/en-gb?fc=0&lightning=1

Yes, plenty of sferics off the Kent and Sussex coast, at the moment. After the Summer heat with pretty high S.S.T'.s in the Channel, could be some fun and games for those areas if the angle of flow is right, in the coming weeks.

I see the S.S.T. off Brighton and Deal, is around 14c at the moment.

https://www.seatemperature.org/europe/united-kingdom/

Regards,

Tom. :hi:

Edited by TomSE12
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted

Up early, have developed quite a heavy cold  and it's not letting me sleep!! :oldangry:

Quote:

"After the Summer heat with pretty high S.S.T'.s in the Channel, could be some fun and games for those areas if the angle of flow is right, in the coming weeks." 

Having just seen a recording of the "Weather for the Week ahead", it appears that my comment from last night, could come to fruition over the weekend. The forecaster, I think it was Susan Powell, was suggesting this very scenario, Sat,, into Sun. After Friday's  fronts have cleared through, we find ourselves under an unstable S.W. airflow.

Modele UKMO - Carte FAX Bracknell - Pression et fronts

Some heavy and thundery showers could well affect the extreme south of our region, especially right on the coast. I'm sure Lightning Lover, amongst others, will be hoping that's the case!! Not long to wait, to find out.

Regards,

Edited by TomSE12
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms.

Sitting in my back garden yesterday evening I enjoyed a 25 minute lightning display, the first since July 27th and only the 4th time this year in this area. Whilst the lightning was very close by and at times vivid there was very little thunder audible.

A pleasant surprise at the end of what was a mild but properly autumnal day here on the South Coast.

• Like 5

Posted
3 minutes ago, SenlacJack said:

Sitting in my back garden yesterday evening I enjoyed a 25 minute lightning display, the first since July 27th and only the 4th time this year in this area. Whilst the lightning was very close by and at times vivid there was very little thunder audible.

A pleasant surprise at the end of what was a mild but properly autumnal day here on the South Coast.

Hi Sj,

If those forecasts I've seen, prove correct, you should get the chance to view some more lightning displays over the weekend. I would think you're in a prime location.

Regards,

• Like 1

Posted

Yes indeed, autumn can certainly throw up some proper interesting weather. Bright and sunny at 9.4c here just now. 

Looking good for replenishing rains over next few days, and pretty mild too. Proper autumn weather. 

• Like 2