Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

9th November Possible Storm

pip22

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

There is a possible storm on its way on Friday.

image.thumb.png.7c0435abac51d0d783735f625c1445cb.png

image.thumb.png.d1f2f76cfc2f967c8b06a55164354f46.png

image.thumb.png.7b504b99c42f6fef970f5b216ae63652.png

image.thumb.png.9409d96b23c496a96c0eb4d2904a17c4.png

Becoming increasingly wet, windy & very unsettled through this coming week, #stormy by Friday with a potential #StormDeirdre Mid week #rain to come first, prolonged heavy & persistent rain for some. Risk of severe gales come Friday, 70mph+ looks possible Watch out for updates...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms
·2m

Still looking pretty #stormy for Friday with a deep area of low pressure bringing wild #winds & more heavy #rain to swathes of the UK, 60-70mph gusts look possible. These gusts fall within #storm categorising threshold so I will review the situation later today. #StormDeirdre??

image.thumb.png.0cf61ce28890a4962992904107554258.png

image.thumb.png.91e378d6ec37ebe1263b9e08d94beffc.png

Edited by pip22

Posted

A yellow warning just got issued by the Met Office. A band of heavy rain is expected to move east during Friday with widely 15-25 mm of rain falling and perhaps 40-60 mm over higher ground. This will be in addition to other spells of heavy rain earlier in the week affecting a similar area. Rain will be accompanied by strong winds with gusts of 50 mph possible inland and perhaps 60 mph around some coasts.

Regions and local authorities affected:

• Northern Ireland
  • South West England
  • Wales

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

No surprises with that warning considerig how much rain some of those areas have already had.

Edited by matt111

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Wind and rain warning extended east which means I’m now in the warning area. 

Posted
1 hour ago, Stormyskies56 said:

Surprised its not been named given the amber warning now out. I thought that was one of the criteria. 

The amber warning is for rain, not wind.

Edited by coldie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
20 minutes ago, coldie said:

The amber warning is for rain, not wind.

That's irrelevant. The MetOffice will name a deep area of low pressure whether it brings rain, snow or gales, if it meets a certain criteria. Although, that criteria seems to have gotten lost in translation.

Posted
4 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

That's irrelevant. The MetOffice will name a deep area of low pressure whether it brings rain, snow or gales, if it meets a certain criteria. Although, that criteria seems to have gotten lost in translation.

They haven't named it though have they and i wouldn't really call it a deep low tbh, it's just your standard run of the mill atlantic depression.

Edited by coldie

Posted
4 minutes ago, coldie said:

They haven't named it though have they so I guess it isn't as irrrlivent as you think 

Your previous post implies that the MetOffice don't name a storm because the amber warning is for rain.

From the MetOffice:-

A storm will be named on the basis of 'medium' or 'high' potential impacts from wind but also include the potential impacts of rain and snow, i.e. storms will be named for weather systems which we expect an Amber or Red warning will eventually be issued by Met Éireann and/or the Met Office’s

Further information can be found here

Edited by Mapantz

Posted
2 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Your previous post implies that the MetOffice don't name a storm because the amber warning is for rain.

From the MetOffice:-

Further information can be found here

I never said they don't name a storm because of an amber warning for rain, just making a point that they don't always name a storm because of an amber warning and rightly so seeing as the winds aren't going to be that bad.

Posted
1 minute ago, coldie said:

I never said they don't name a storm because of an amber warning for rain, just making a point that they don't always name a storm because of an amber warning and rightly so seeing as the winds aren't going to be that bad.

I'm not going to argue with you. Take yourself to the named storm threads and read through the information provided. There is zero consistency when it comes to named storms. They've named them when it is just a simple kink in the isobars, and they've not named them when amber warnings have been issued.

re winds aren't going to be bad. That's not true, 50mph inland is likely to cause some disruption. Trees falling due to wet ground in places etc. In fact, the wind forecast for here, tonight, are the strongest forecast so far this year.

Posted
4 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

I'm not going to argue with you. Take yourself to the named storm threads and read through the information provided. There is zero consistency when it comes to named storms. They've named them when it is just a simple kink in the isobars, and they've not named them when amber warnings have been issued.

re winds aren't going to be bad. That's not true, 50mph inland is likely to cause some disruption. Trees falling due to wet ground in places etc. In fact, the wind forecast for here, tonight, are the strongest forecast so far this year.

Not trying to argue with you mp and i fully agree with you about the inconsistencies with the naming of these storms. It's just a complete mess how they're handling it atm.

Edited by coldie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: wintry
11 minutes ago, Mokidugway said:

I'll name that storm in three

is it in a teacup?

Posted
2 hours ago, coldie said:

Not trying to argue with you mp and i fully agree with you about the inconsistencies with the naming of these storms. It's just a complete mess how they're handling it atm.

Storms use to be named purely based on wind but now other factors are taken into account but if there is just likely to be heavy rain but no stormy winds then it probably won't be named but if it's accompanying severe winds then it would probably be named that's how it seems to work but nevertheless it's very inconsistent I agree.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: windy

Surely making it a simple 'once it hits this point it's named' would be the best way to go.Say amber for wind and red for snow/rain.

• Like 1

Posted

Winds are picking up here. My location expecting gusts up to 50 mph.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

It’s evil here in Plymouth.

Roads gridlocked (75 mins from Marsh Mills to Tamar Bridge), flooding everywhere and we’ve been pulled off streets for safety. 

Normal 15 mins drive home took an hour. And not a very safe one at that

Posted

The winds really howling here now and it’s started raining heavily. Sounds quite wild. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold weather. Storms are pretty good too.
1 hour ago, philglossop said:

It’s evil here in Plymouth.

Roads gridlocked (75 mins from Marsh Mills to Tamar Bridge), flooding everywhere and we’ve been pulled off streets for safety. 

Normal 15 mins drive home took an hour. And not a very safe one at that

Looks pretty evil there now looking at Ventusky

https://www.ventusky.com/?p=51.80;-4.80;6&l=gust

image.thumb.png.1a9eeed9464ebd6df547a098cb889e1c.png

Edited by coldfingers1
  • Like 1