Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
Sign in to follow this  
damianslaw

Coldest minima winter 2018-2019 season

Picture taken this morning. Coldest local temperature I've noted for years.

20190131_084433.jpg

Good to see some notably cold temperatures this morning, I understand -14.4 in Braemar is the coldest min for 7 years when Holbeach in Lincolnshire saw -15.6 degrees on 11 Feb 2002. 

So we have already beaten the likes of Jan 2013, Mar 2013 and the beast from the east on this front.

Also some notably low minima, under not especially cold uppers, lower for some than occurred on 1 March 2018. We managed an ice day.

Will we go lower minima wise tonight than the 2012 figure?

3 hours ago, Aleman said:

Where's the coldest maxima thread? 🙂 Ours was -2.1C.

Exactly the same as here. I suspect inland parts would have been a good bit lower.

Good chance then we will beat 2012 - a preety good cold spell then! don't need a long drawn easterly or north easterly or northerly thanks to greenland or scandi heights or uppers lower than -10 degrees, just a dense cold pool and light winds in the heart of winter.

1 hour ago, Sceptical said:

I believe Braemar reached -15.4c overnight.

possibly colder tonight before warming up a tad?

10 minutes ago, JeffC said:

possibly colder tonight before warming up a tad?

Possibly, the region is being affected by very heavy snow at present. We've just lost power.

17 minutes ago, Sceptical said:

Possibly, the region is being affected by very heavy snow at present. We've just lost power.

not sure whether that's lucky or not!

1 minute ago, JeffC said:

not sure whether that's lucky or not!

The weather's much worse further inland, so can't complain to much.

SSE got the power restored quickly so all good, for the time being....

Ooh very close to beating 2012 figure, just 0.2 degrees out then. Not sure tonight will deliver such low temps thanks to cloud cover, but the added extra snow tonight and forecast for light winds tomorrow night could mean Grampian region goes lower, before the cloud moves in - a very cold day in the Cairngorm area/Deeside tomorrow I suspect.

Watching winterwatch this week was great - superb timing coinciding with the coldest period of the winter so far.

This thread seems to be under the radar, yet we are experiencing a notably cold period minima wise in the Highlands, every chance might break the 15.6 degree barrier tonight? Welcome reports of current mins..

Its been a preety decent spell cold temperature wise, last few days, many places in the north at least recording a mean below 0 degrees since Tuesday.

2 hours ago, damianslaw said:

This thread seems to be under the radar, yet we are experiencing a notably cold period minima wise in the Highlands, every chance might break the 15.6 degree barrier tonight? Welcome reports of current mins..

Its been a preety decent spell cold temperature wise, last few days, many places in the north at least recording a mean below 0 degrees since Tuesday.

The coldest that I have seen tonight is at Aultguish where an air temp of -10.5C has been reported. This is a traffic Scotland site rather than an official Met O site though. There are a couple of -8s around in Speyside and the Borders. Temps are dropping quickly though so some time yet to get lower before the cloud comes in, particularly further East. Here fairly near the coast we have gone from zero at teatime to minus 5 now and still dropping.

Edited by Norrance

Recorded -13.0c on one of my stations in a notorious frost hollow called Duggleby in the Yorkshire Wolds last night.

Thats the lowest temperature I've ever recorded on any of my weather stations.

-6.0C in my garden is the lowest of the season but my garden faces and slopes south and the remaining snow looks like someone has tried to scrape it off. I'd expect colder nearby where there is more snow. Leeming recorded it's lowest so far at -10.8C.

Minimum Temperature Last 24h - 02/03/2019 at 09:00 UTC

No.LocationStation IDAmount

1Loch Glascarnoch (United Kingdom)03031-11.9°C

2Tulloch Bridge (United Kingdom)03047-11.5°C

3Aboyne (United Kingdom)03080-10.9°C

4Leeming (United Kingdom)03257-10.8°C

5Redesdale (United Kingdom)03230-10.4°C

6Eskdalemuir (United Kingdom)03162-9.9°C

7Topcliffe (United Kingdom)03265-9.9°C

8Benson (United Kingdom)03658-9.8°C

9Shap (United Kingdom)03225-9.6°C

10Aviemore (United Kingdom)03063-9.1°C

11Cairngorm (United Kingdom)03065-8.7°C

12Aonach Mor (United Kingdom)03041-8.4°C

13Odiham (United Kingdom)03761-8.3°C

14Pershore (United Kingdom)03529-8.2°C

15Farnborough (United Kingdom)03768-7.7°C

Script courtesy of  Michael Holden of Relay Weather. Data courtesy of Ogimet

Edited by Aleman

Would like to know as a marker, coldest min so far Uk wise this season, don;t think we broke -15.4 degrees overnight, and coldest min for England, is it -13 degrees? Not bad going..