Holidays
Local
Radar
Windy?
Sign in to follow this  
Lauren

Question about tornado sirens

I've seen different protocol in different places.

My question is, at what point do they sound tornado sirens? Once it's actively on the ground? When the storm has a high chance of tornado?

I believe it's when the storm is tornado (and in some cases severe) warned, or when a spotter sees a tornado on the ground. I don't think there's a national set of rules on it though, so it can vary from state to state. This is a set of guidelines from one state

https://www.weather.gov/media/dvn/QC Siren Guidelines_final.pdf

Yeah, there are different rules based on where you are as Paul said. On the Dodge City tornado day, a good 10 to 15 minutes before the tornado physically formed, the radar picked up strengthening rotation as the meso developed, and they issued a tornado warning. Anyone inside the tornado warning box had sirens go off as precaution. So this little town that we were in had sirens go off for a storm that was to their North and moving away, but limitations of the system I guess and better to be safe than sorry.

And if you never heard one before, they are really cool, but very spooky when they go off!

So who is in charge of setting them off?

Local law enforcement i believe. 

Or in the case of Dallas a few years back in the dead of night, hackers!

• Like 1

I remember that! Someone sounded them in the middle of the night by writing some code to hack the system or something. Amazing, that not even this is safe anymore :(

1 hour ago, mikeofmacc said:

I remember that! Someone sounded them in the middle of the night by writing some code to hack the system or something. Amazing, that not even this is safe anymore

The Dallas local govt didn't help themselves. They had to go to each one individually to manually turn them off!