Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ambient Weather WS-2000/ fineoffset HP2550

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear sky or snow

Has anybody found this station in stock anywhere that will ship to the uk? I have been googling all day but the ambientweather is the only retailer I have found and they don't ship to the uk.

http://www.foshk.com/Wifi_Weather_Station/HP2550.html

same as this

https://www.ambientweather.com/amws2000.html#caption

I have one of the earlier models wh2900 and the display isn't the best it needs an app to connect it to wifi and it's a real pain to set up.

the newer model looks like it doesn't need the app.

I asked similar question a couple of years ago about the wh2900 without much luck so hoping for a better response this time please.

any suggestions thanks

Thanks

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

I own 20 stations across North Yorkshire and always on the look out for new/different stations to purchase but I don't believe you can buy these stations here in the UK or Europe.

I'm guessing you connect to WiFi via the console much like the Ambient Wireless WS1001 rather than the app which is much easier.

Shame they don't do them here (unless im wrong) but I hope they do as I wouldn't mind a few!

Posted

Is it the wstool app you are using and find easy because i'm having nothing but problems with it.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi trebor any luck with that weather station. I have been looking around for a new one and really like the sound of this one as well.

do you think this is the older model then https://www.ambientweather.com/amws2902.html

Can someone start importing this !! I need to replace a la crosse WS2355 which has worked for years but the anemometer has died, when I dropped it off the roof !! and I have had to move the main unit due to a greenhouse going up.

Posted
40 minutes ago, DavidBH said:

Hi trebor any luck with that weather station. I have been looking around for a new one and really like the sound of this one as well.

do you think this is the older model then https://www.ambientweather.com/amws2902.html

Can someone start importing this !! I need to replace a la crosse WS2355 which has worked for years but the anemometer has died, when I dropped it off the roof !! and I have had to move the main unit due to a greenhouse going up.

Sorry still no luck finding one. I have this version of it already http://www.foshk.com/Wifi_Weather_Station/WH2900.html which has some issues as I have said.

ambient weather do a re numbered version of most, if not all fine offset stations but sadly don't ship to the UK.

Posted
15 hours ago, DavidBH said:

David, have you looked for a new anemometer  as some places do stock various spares for LaCrosse?

I have asked around a few places have them at around £60 but I am not convinced the display and rain gauge after many years old are not likely to pack in tomorrow. I think I am just better to start again. I would also like something that is solar powered and is wireless so I can stick it further up the back garden and maybe even attach it on a pole out of an oak tree for more direct wind readings. 

• 1 month later...
Posted

I too have been trying to locate a European source for this weather station (WS-2000/HP-2550) to no avail. It is a very good home station and I like the option to add extra sensors for out buildings etc

I understand that Greenfrog Scientific (Aercus) are looking at adding it at some point after I contacted them, but no timeframe.

I am also keeping track of Froggit in Germany who may start to sell this station.

I have to say that I am seriously considering using Amazon.com which will ship internationally to get my hands on the Ambient version as I really like the ambientweather.net hosting they provide for their data which you can use in addition to Wunderground. They also can provide just about any spare you want which now Maplin has gone seems to be problematic in the UK. In the US they seem to have a good following and reputation. The downside is that importation taxes make it expensive >£300.

The alternative is I might use a relative in the US to purchase it and mail it to me which should cut down the costs considerably.

The other angle I am considering is that I currently use Cumulus MX on a Pi talking to my old Maplin weather station which I would like to retain for continuity but I am not sure If that's going to be possible. 

Interested to see what other folks are considering or just waiting for a European source.

Posted
On 31/12/2018 at 15:02, Mandrake said:

I too have been trying to locate a European source for this weather station (WS-2000/HP-2550) to no avail. It is a very good home station and I like the option to add extra sensors for out buildings etc.

The alternative is I might use a relative in the US to purchase it and mail it to me which should cut down the costs considerably.

Interested to see what other folks are considering or just waiting for a European source.

Two things come readily to mind, on your above suggestion. Firstly units that run in thee USA "often" use a different set of frequencies (if the unit is wireless, of course). These frequencies may cause RF interference within the UK and other nearby units, so worth checking before you buy, also if that is the case you will only be able to use offshore add ons to be compatible (again only an issue if the unit is of the wireless kind).

Importing items from friends, can sometimes work, although the PO are a lot better at identifying these items these days! Firstly for insurance purposes the sender has to identify the value in case of loss. Saying something costs only $20 instead of $200 could be an issue if it's lost as you have a low value claim for compensation. Second the item is usually defined on the shipping label (and checks for batteries these days are becoming much more common). So if the label says wind sensor $20, the boys at Mt Pleasant will know their prices and determine something like that is worth much more than the stated price. Also you could until recently get items shipped as "gifts" but even those these days are prone to import duty. So unless you are lucky, you have the import duty to be prepared to pay, and also a standing PO charge of around £18 for the Post Office privilege to sting you as they handled your parcel.

Just a couple of thoughts....

Regards

Db

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted
16 hours ago, Dorsetbred said:

Two things come readily to mind, on your above suggestion. Firstly units that run in thee USA "often" use a different set of frequencies (if the unit is wireless, of course). These frequencies may cause RF interference within the UK and other nearby units, so worth checking before you buy, also if that is the case you will only be able to use offshore add ons to be compatible (again only an issue if the unit is of the wireless kind).

Importing items from friends, can sometimes work, although the PO are a lot better at identifying these items these days! Firstly for insurance purposes the sender has to identify the value in case of loss. Saying something costs only $20 instead of $200 could be an issue if it's lost as you have a low value claim for compensation. Second the item is usually defined on the shipping label (and checks for batteries these days are becoming much more common). So if the label says wind sensor $20, the boys at Mt Pleasant will know their prices and determine something like that is worth much more than the stated price. Also you could until recently get items shipped as "gifts" but even those these days are prone to import duty. So unless you are lucky, you have the import duty to be prepared to pay, and also a standing PO charge of around £18 for the Post Office privilege to sting you as they handled your parcel.

Just a couple of thoughts....

Regards

Db

You are not wrong in your comments and I guess my statements are born from frustration at lack of choice in Europe/UK.

Froggit seems to be the closest to Ambient in Europe but they don't sell anything like the range that Ambient do and you cant appear to mix and match components.

I am a licenced Radio user so I am aware of the probable clash of frequency use. The US 915Mhz band is part of the UK mobile phone ranges so I think it very likely they would have problems from interference from phones though I would be interested to see if anyone has tried it. Given the very low power of the weather station I would say its very unlikely to interfere with Phone signals just screw up reception from the instruments.

I guess I have no options to bide my time though. I or my wife are quite likely to be stateside at some point this year and its awfully tempting to pick up a WS2000 +ObserverIP+full set of sensors for less than $300 and bring it home in luggage!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

The trouble is, if you use the 915Mhz band over here, you're likely to get in to trouble, as it is illegal. It's not worth the hassle.

You can buy stations that use the same ISS, it's just the console you can't get over here. Unless the Chinese manufacturer decided to make a version using the 868Mhz frequency, you're going to be out of luck. They did it with older versions (WS-1000) and then traders just stick their own label on the console.. possible they might do it with the HD console, but i'd be very surprised.

Posted

In looking for the fineoffset station I also found this on amazon

https://www.amazon.com/AcuRite-01007M-Touchscreen-Monitoring-Lightning/dp/B074XKB239

the manual claims this works on 433mhz so is legal in the uk, but the reviews are mixed, has anybody got any thoughts on this station?

also their website doesn't work in this country (not good) probably something to do with gdpr but I can view it using a vpn client if anybody wants to look, thats the way.

Posted

As far as i'm aware, the Atlas and Atlas Elite are all set to work on US frequencies only. I'd suggest taking a look at WXForum, there's been a lot of chatter on there from unhappy customers. Things breaking, temps and humidity being way off etc

Some have gone through 3 or 4 replacements and they're all the same.  I did see a couple of 'testers' on the forum trying to make out everything is OK and that it might be just down to bad luck. However, the reviews and comments I have seen, seem to suggest that the Atlas stations are a fail, considering how long people have been waiting for them.

Just to add this this; By the time you've paid for the import duty on it, you'll end up spending more on it than a Davis Vantage Vue. Also, what happens if something goes wrong?

Edited by Mapantz

Posted
5 hours ago, Mapantz said:

As far as i'm aware, the Atlas and Atlas Elite are all set to work on US frequencies only. I'd suggest taking a look at WXForum, there's been a lot of chatter on there from unhappy customers. Things breaking, temps and humidity being way off etc

Some have gone through 3 or 4 replacements and they're all the same.  I did see a couple of 'testers' on the forum trying to make out everything is OK and that it might be just down to bad luck. However, the reviews and comments I have seen, seem to suggest that the Atlas stations are a fail, considering how long people have been waiting for them.

Just to add this this; By the time you've paid for the import duty on it, you'll end up spending more on it than a Davis Vantage Vue. Also, what happens if something goes wrong?

The manual says it's 433mhz, but that could well be wrong. The reviews have been whats stopped me buying one so far. I have a vantage vue already and that has gone back for service under guarantee. so I am starting to think it doesn't matter how much i spend everything seems to last 1 or 2 years before faults start to appear. Is everything just disposable these days?

I also have the earlier version of the ambient/ fine offset station which also has it's own issues (mainly the stupid app to get it online) which is why I started looking for a new station, so as everything is around the same cost and appears to have a variety of problems it's tricky to find the right thing.

can anybody name a weather station that lasts or has reasonably priced and available spares?

Posted
1 minute ago, trebor said:

The manual says it's 433mhz, but that could well be wrong. The reviews have been whats stopped me buying one so far. I have a vantage vue already and that has gone back for service under guarantee. so I am starting to think it doesn't matter how much i spend everything seems to last 1 or 2 years before faults start to appear. Is everything just disposable these days?

I also have the earlier version of the ambient/ fine offset station which also has it's own issues (mainly the stupid app to get it online) which is why I started looking for a new station, so as everything is around the same cost and appears to have a variety of problems it's tricky to find the right thing.

can anybody name a weather station that lasts or has reasonably priced and available spares?

What's your price range trebor?

I'm surprised you get 1 - 2 years from a station living in the Orkney's?! lol

Posted
10 hours ago, Mapantz said:

What's your price range trebor?

I'm surprised you get 1 - 2 years from a station living in the Orkney's?! lol

I don't like the price of commercial stations and I still find a lot of traffic scotlands weather gear offline or wrong so i'm not sure price is the answer. I had hoped upgrading to a davis would be the answer but it appears not.

so I'm looking for something internet capable thats is more reliable than a davis station or something disposable with readily available spare parts at a far price, at this point I will look at any suggestion or recommendation.

I am also looking at the weatherflow station from another thread but again it's only available in the states. (so far)

Posted
On ‎06‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 09:40, trebor said:

I don't like the price of commercial stations and I still find a lot of traffic scotlands weather gear offline or wrong so i'm not sure price is the answer. I had hoped upgrading to a davis would be the answer but it appears not.

so I'm looking for something internet capable thats is more reliable than a davis station or something disposable with readily available spare parts at a far price, at this point I will look at any suggestion or recommendation.

I am also looking at the weatherflow station from another thread but again it's only available in the states. (so far)

Have a look at Froggit, they are the closest to Ambient in Europe now that Maplin is no more and sell quite a range.

https://www.froggit.de/?cat=c38_WiFi-Weatherstation-wifi-weatherstation.html

There website can be selected to English which makes it easier. You can order bits and pieces as spares if you require or as sets.

Posted
13 minutes ago, Mandrake said:

Have a look at Froggit, they are the closest to Ambient in Europe now that Maplin is no more and sell quite a range.

https://www.froggit.de/?cat=c38_WiFi-Weatherstation-wifi-weatherstation.html

There website can be selected to English which makes it easier. You can order bits and pieces as spares if you require or as sets.

thanks for that, I had found froggit on ebay I think it was but I have never found their website. They have the same stock as maplin used to with hp1000 etc which I had two of and both had faulty temperature sensors.

I think they will eventually get the updated version of the wh3000 that doesnt need an app to get it online, but when is unknown.

Posted
On ‎07‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 17:59, trebor said:

thanks for that, I had found froggit on ebay I think it was but I have never found their website. They have the same stock as maplin used to with hp1000 etc which I had two of and both had faulty temperature sensors.

I think they will eventually get the updated version of the wh3000 that doesnt need an app to get it online, but when is unknown.

I have e-mailed both Froggit and Fine Offset but as yet had no replies. I understand that Fine Offset have a European version available so its probably just a case of waiting for a supplier to pick it up as a product.

I particularly would like the HP2550 and WS2650 data logger, so we will see.

Posted
On ‎10‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 12:16, Mandrake said:

I have e-mailed both Froggit and Fine Offset but as yet had no replies. I understand that Fine Offset have a European version available so its probably just a case of waiting for a supplier to pick it up as a product.

I particularly would like the HP2550 and WS2650 data logger, so we will see.

OK, I have had some response from Fine Offset. It seems that they do offer devices via Ecowitt which seems to aim at the Australian market but operates on 433Mhz which is legal in the UK.

This looks like the only option until Froggit starts to ship them or a regenerated Maplin sells them.

https://www.amazon.com.au/ECOWITT-Weather-Station-Powered-Forecast/dp/B07FMKKBX5/ref=olp_product_details?_encoding=UTF8&me=

There does not seem to be a penalty for shipping to the UK.

Posted
On 16/01/2019 at 18:02, Mandrake said:

OK, I have had some response from Fine Offset. It seems that they do offer devices via Ecowitt which seems to aim at the Australian market but operates on 433Mhz which is legal in the UK.

This looks like the only option until Froggit starts to ship them or a regenerated Maplin sells them.

https://www.amazon.com.au/ECOWITT-Weather-Station-Powered-Forecast/dp/B07FMKKBX5/ref=olp_product_details?_encoding=UTF8&me=

There does not seem to be a penalty for shipping to the UK.

Further clarification.

I have been in dialogue with Lucy and it seems that Ecowitt is the public facing arm of Fine Offset. 

Lucy will happily sell anyone in Europe via Ecowitt a HP2550 with the 3 arm sensor array for $199 US. It will be the 433Mhz model and so Europe legal.

All the other bits from Fine Offset are available if you ask including the new air quality sensor

This is great news and I plan to take them up on this offer in the coming months and I will post here when I get it.

Posted
16 minutes ago, Mandrake said:

Further clarification.

I have been in dialogue with Lucy and it seems that Ecowitt is the public facing arm of Fine Offset. 

Lucy will happily sell anyone in Europe via Ecowitt a HP2550 with the 3 arm sensor array for $199 US. It will be the 433Mhz model and so Europe legal.

All the other bits from Fine Offset are available if you ask including the new air quality sensor

This is great news and I plan to take them up on this offer in the coming months and I will post here when I get it.

maybe good news, but they don't show the three arm version as stock and I think you will still pay customs duty and vat when it enters the uk so I will have to work out what that will make the price before I consider ordering.

Posted

I think that sensor array looks better than the 3 arm version. I presume it is a newer version as well?

I decided to add it to the basket to check for delivery charges. Unfortunately, it says it cannot be sent to my address.

Edited by Mapantz

Posted
1 hour ago, trebor said:

maybe good news, but they don't show the three arm version as stock and I think you will still pay customs duty and vat when it enters the uk so I will have to work out what that will make the price before I consider ordering.

According to Lucy @ Fine Offset (Ecowitt.com) you can definitely get the 3 arm version if you want (HP2550) or the newer single arm (HP2551)

I was quoted $199 US for the 3 arm version and the Hi Res TFT display (HP2550).

You can order on the ecowitt website directly and the units are shipped directly from China. If what you want is not shown then contact Lucy at (sales3@foshk.com)

I understand that there is a risk of duty and VAT but it does depend on luck I suppose.

I personally need to wait for March and pay rise time, but if there is no local option at that time I will buy from Ecowitt. I will also probably buy the new Gateway (GW1000) and the soil moisture sensor and Air quality sensor at the same time. I understand there will be some new sensors coming soon such as a lightening detector.

One positive for Ecowitt is that they have now setup their own data hosting site to rival ambientweather.net which will be useful if you like to have your data available.

Posted
9 minutes ago, Mandrake said:

According to Lucy @ Fine Offset (Ecowitt.com) you can definitely get the 3 arm version if you want (HP2550) or the newer single arm (HP2551)

I was quoted $199 US for the 3 arm version and the Hi Res TFT display (HP2550).

You can order on the ecowitt website directly and the units are shipped directly from China. If what you want is not shown then contact Lucy at (sales3@foshk.com)

I understand that there is a risk of duty and VAT but it does depend on luck I suppose.

I personally need to wait for March and pay rise time, but if there is no local option at that time I will buy from Ecowitt. I will also probably buy the new Gateway (GW1000) and the soil moisture sensor and Air quality sensor at the same time. I understand there will be some new sensors coming soon such as a lightening detector.

One positive for Ecowitt is that they have now setup their own data hosting site to rival ambientweather.net which will be useful if you like to have your data available.

Something isn't right there.. that's $319. The $199 one has a different (worse) display.

$319 and import duty is not worth it.

Edited by Mapantz