Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ambient Weather WS-2000/ fineoffset HP2550

Posted

Update on my station. I have found (yes another) location for my primary temperature sensor. The previous location was doing well, however I noticed during the hot spells in August that around the peak hours of heat, the sensor would be 1-2°C above my other backup sensor. So I decided to move the primary sensor into the same location where my backup sensor was located.

IMG_20190825_180328.thumb.jpg.06fdddab0dd1bdf86f8d3ac786057bf7.jpg IMG_20190825_165421.thumb.jpg.c3d676be2136ad44ed5a8db5102f1a33.jpg IMG_20190908_125450.thumb.jpg.c94ac6671d5a4ef30f564338c6f15135.jpg

You can see the new location here, with a protected pipe for the fan wire and a view under the shield showing the fan working.

The new location is protected from direct sunlight around lunchtime and is recording temperatures that are more in keeping with other local stations and the nearby Met Office location. As before, the fan assistant radiation shield is powered from a solar panel (located on a nearby shed roof), however I replaced this with a 30cm panel which is now providing a constant fan speed even on cloudy days (which the previous one wasn't). 

This setup has been working very well over the past month and temperatures are much more consistent, especially during the late August hot spell. I was worried that the hedge behind would either effect temperatures or humidity, however these appear to have been unaffected. 

Hopefully, after much testing since May, this is the final setup!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
40 minutes ago, Dean E said:

@Mapantz Any update on your order? I can't get over how long that's taken?!

It was dispatched on Wednesday early morning UK time. It's due to be delivered this Wednesday.

6 1/2 weeks in total.

Posted
2 hours ago, Mapantz said:

It was dispatched on Wednesday early morning UK time. It's due to be delivered this Wednesday.

6 1/2 weeks in total.

Wow, that is incredible for the amount of time you've been waiting! Did Lucy sort it all? 

Posted

All of that time waiting for bird spikes and I've thrown the clips away. I have never known  such a faff for putting the clip around a rain gauge! First clip snapped and the second one wouldn't tighten up so I used pliers, and the second clip slipped off and tightened so I couldn't fit it over the funnel anymore.

Oh, and the second console's signal is exactly the same as the original one. Both next to each other and both don't pick up the soil sensor, the wind sensors signal comes and goes, pretty much the same on the rest of the sensors. I have to have the consoles pretty much in line of sight with no walls obstructing it. I can't put the consoles in the places I want them due to this. I've never had this issue with any other station.

Edited by Mapantz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear sky or snow
3 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

All of that time waiting for bird spikes and I've thrown the clips away. I have never known  such a faff for putting the clip around a rain gauge! First clip snapped and the second one wouldn't tighten up so I used pliers, and the second clip slipped off and tightened so I couldn't fit it over the funnel anymore.

You wouldn't recommend the bird spikes then, LOL. Where they part of your long delayed order, have you finally got a package? 

Posted

I cannot pick up the soil moisture sensor unless I am within 15/20ft without any obstructions. Jeez, over 6 weeks to wait for disappointment.

Posted
58 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

I cannot pick up the soil moisture sensor unless I am within 15/20ft without any obstructions. Jeez, over 6 weeks to wait for disappointment.

you are being very unlucky. I am not having any issues with soil sensors and the gw1000 mine go through several walls over about 10 to 15 meters.

I have just got a new firmware using the app that may be worth a try.

Posted
11 minutes ago, trebor said:

you are being very unlucky. I am not having any issues with soil sensors and the gw1000 mine go through several walls over about 10 to 15 meters.

I have just got a new firmware using the app that may be worth a try.

My problem is with the console. The GW-1000 is downstairs close to the sensors as it interferes with my Davis console.

Posted
11 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

My problem is with the console. The GW-1000 is downstairs close to the sensors as it interferes with my Davis console.

there was new firmware for the console as well as the gw1000. The possible interference is why I got the separate sensors and gw1000 on a different frequency so thanks for confirming I made the right choice.

wifi firmware is now 142 console firmware 146 as reported by the console

Edited by trebor

Posted

Here we go:

New console is on the right with firmware 1.4.7. Old console on the left with 1.4.6

20190909_175356.thumb.jpg.ec6fede771270dee66b6dc30f324ca28.jpg

Soil moisture sensor is just 15ft away.

It annoys me having to put the console there as it's not a place that I spend any time in, but it's the only place I can get signal on all of the sensors. (apart from the new console)

Posted
2 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Here we go:

New console is on the right with firmware 1.4.7. Old console on the left with 1.4.6

20190909_175356.thumb.jpg.ec6fede771270dee66b6dc30f324ca28.jpg

Soil moisture sensor is just 15ft away.

It annoys me having to put the console there as it's not a place that I spend any time in, but it's the only place I can get signal on all of the sensors. (apart from the new console)

so what version is the wifi firmware? my console lists hardware and wifi versions in the about section. it is interesting that the new console has a newer version than than I just downloaded.

Posted
1 minute ago, trebor said:

so what version is the wifi firmware? my console lists hardware and wifi versions in the about section. it is interesting that the new console has a newer version than than I just downloaded.

I'm not bothered about the WiFi version, as I don't use it on the console.

Posted
36 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

I'm not bothered about the WiFi version, as I don't use it on the console.

I have been pondering your problem. I replied on the WXForum. If its not interference by a DECT phone system or a BT device do you have any smart systems installed in your house. I have Honeywell Evohome smart thermostats all over and I was worried those might interfere but so far so good. The other possibility is that I note you have Davis as well. Davis used spread spectrum frequency hopping rather a fixed frequency to transmit and receive so its possible that this might explain why the reception comes and go on your console. All that said I suspect you might need to buy a SDR dongle and plug it into a laptop with some software and use that to try and see what's causing the variable interreference.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Mandrake said:

I have been pondering your problem. I replied on the WXForum. If its not interference by a DECT phone system or a BT device do you have any smart systems installed in your house. I have Honeywell Evohome smart thermostats all over and I was worried those might interfere but so far so good. The other possibility is that I note you have Davis as well. Davis used spread spectrum frequency hopping rather a fixed frequency to transmit and receive so its possible that this might explain why the reception comes and go on your console. All that said I suspect you might need to buy a SDR dongle and plug it into a laptop with some software and use that to try and see what's causing the variable interreference.

Whilst I appreciate that advice, I don't think that's the problem. I have had stations in the past, the original WS-1000, that used the same RF, no problems with that alongside the Davis. The other two, Netatmo and WeatherFlow, same RF and both had great signal while working alongside the Davis.

Posted

I have never had interference problems with Davis and other stations but I have had problems between other Chinese copy stations, fine offset ventus tfa etc.

it would be a simple check, turn everything else wireless off, see what happens.

Edited by trebor

Posted

I won't be taking the battery out of the Davis ISS, that station overrules all other stations. Not only that, it doesn't explain why the old console works down in the porch and the fact that the new console is unable to pick up the soil moisture sensor whilst sat next to the old console that does.

Posted

This is very unlucky for you @Mapantz. I took have a Davis station (only a Vantage Vue), but have had it switched off since June as my Ecowitt station has taken over as my main system.

What I will do is turn it back on and see if I have any signal issues as well, as we basically have the same Ecowitt equipment now by the sounds of it and will report with my findings. Just for clarification, I have my anemometer, temperature sensor and moisture sensor around 30ft away from my console and the rain gauge and pollution sensor around 15ft away. I have no issues with signal, however beyond this at around 50ft I start to loose bars but still get around half.

Its really sad to hear you are having so many issues, they do sound very uncommon!

Posted
14 hours ago, Mapantz said:

I won't be taking the battery out of the Davis ISS, that station overrules all other stations. Not only that, it doesn't explain why the old console works down in the porch and the fact that the new console is unable to pick up the soil moisture sensor whilst sat next to the old console that does.

how many soil sensors have you got?  I was just thinking if it's more than one is the console that shows little signal picking up a different sensor. it's all very strange

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

Probably a silly question, but have you got any chargers nearby?   I have one plug in charger that creates all kinds of RF interference.  Affects my wireless phone and my wireless mouse!  Took me ages to discover what the problem was until one day I turned my radio on...

woody

Posted
On 10/09/2019 at 10:55, trebor said:

how many soil sensors have you got?

16 hours ago, Ukwoody said:

Probably a silly question, but have you got any chargers nearby?

Nope.

I tried a little experimenting yesterday. I put the new console upstairs, where I want it. The soil moisture sensor doesn't even get detected. My GW-1000 is in the porch downstairs and is within 15 feet of the soil moisture sensor with no obstructions at all. You can physically see it. It has full signal, as does the old console which is within a foot of the GW-1000. I moved the soil sensor forward by 4 feet (still in view) The GW-1000 loses contact with it, the console upstairs now picks it up fine. I then rotated the soil sensor 180°, the GW-1000 now picks it up perfectly fine, but the new console upstairs loses all contact. I moved the new console back down to the porch, right next to the old console. It has zero signal from the soil sensor, but the old console has full signal.

If i'm honest, i'm bored of it all, now. I'm not sure what I am going to do yet, but I might just sell it all on eBay, because it's becoming a pain in the ass, especially waiting 6 1/2 weeks just to face more problems.

Posted
37 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Nope.

I tried a little experimenting yesterday. I put the new console upstairs, where I want it. The soil moisture sensor doesn't even get detected. My GW-1000 is in the porch downstairs and is within 15 feet of the soil moisture sensor with no obstructions at all. You can physically see it. It has full signal, as does the old console which is within a foot of the GW-1000. I moved the soil sensor forward by 4 feet (still in view) The GW-1000 loses contact with it, the console upstairs now picks it up fine. I then rotated the soil sensor 180°, the GW-1000 now picks it up perfectly fine, but the new console upstairs loses all contact. I moved the new console back down to the porch, right next to the old console. It has zero signal from the soil sensor, but the old console has full signal.

If i'm honest, i'm bored of it all, now. I'm not sure what I am going to do yet, but I might just sell it all on eBay, because it's becoming a pain in the ass, especially waiting 6 1/2 weeks just to face more problems.

It's all very strange, Im with you on the ordering issue plus the import duties bug me, Amazon has spoilt us all.

What about a replacement soil sensor or put the same firmware on both consoles, just to test what happens

Posted
5 hours ago, trebor said:

It's all very strange, Im with you on the ordering issue plus the import duties bug me, Amazon has spoilt us all.

What about a replacement soil sensor or put the same firmware on both consoles, just to test what happens

It is all very odd. I have wondered for a while if the signal is polarised in some way which might explain some of the effects you are seeing but not all.

Have you tried a different battery in the soil sensor as 1.5V is not much oomph. One thing that has puzzled me is that there does not appear to be a way to set channels on the WH0291 soil moisture sensor yet it is geared to support upto 8 via the GW-1000. I wonder how that's set? Only suggestion I have is to open the spare console you have and makes a small hole as has been described on the WXForum and poke the receiver wire through that in a straight position. It might be that you can orientate the wire to a position that works while having the console in the location that you want. Might just work if its a polarization issue.

Posted
On 10/09/2019 at 10:43, Dean E said:

This is very unlucky for you @Mapantz. I took have a Davis station (only a Vantage Vue), but have had it switched off since June as my Ecowitt station has taken over as my main system.

What I will do is turn it back on and see if I have any signal issues as well, as we basically have the same Ecowitt equipment now by the sounds of it and will report with my findings. Just for clarification, I have my anemometer, temperature sensor and moisture sensor around 30ft away from my console and the rain gauge and pollution sensor around 15ft away. I have no issues with signal, however beyond this at around 50ft I start to loose bars but still get around half.

Its really sad to hear you are having so many issues, they do sound very uncommon!

Update for you, I've had my vantage vue on for the past week. No issues to report with the anemometer, temperature and pollution sensor.

However, my moisture sensor is now having intermittent breaks in data collection. Now I don't use the GW1000 for the connection, as mine is just connected straight to the console (had an update sent over to allow it to work in that way). So my theory may be that either there's a conflict somewhere with the moisture sensor signal or the sensor itself has a weaker antenna?

Very odd.