Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Reaction emoji

Met4Cast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

What happened to the laughing and confused emoji? I know we have the “like” and “thanks” reactions still, but I feel like the other two were better at reacting to peoples posts. Any chance they’re going to come back?

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
1 minute ago, Daniel Smith said:

What happened to the laughing and confused emoji? I know we have the “like” and “thanks” reactions still, but I feel like the other two were better at reacting to peoples posts. Any chance they’re going to come back?

Yes,liked them too for the more fun part of the forum but shoudn't be allowed in the mod thread,that's my take on it

but now we have a hunt for cold mod thread to leaviate from the general mod thread(of which i thought was a good idea),so maybe bring them back in that too,is it possible to do that?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Well we've got one back... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!
13 hours ago, matt111 said:

Well we've got one back... 

weren't they taken away because someone complained about be 'trolled' by emoji?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
5 minutes ago, beerandkebab said:

Some folks just love to complain...If you don't like being 'trolled' there's always the 'ignore' button...❄️

• Like 3

Posted

You could spin it around the other way Pete, some people just love to use any method they can to get under other people's skin. And yes, sometimes that has included the use of reactions on posts. Sad really..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

There were certain people who were too cowardly to actually challenge a viewpoint and would use the laughing react to undermine someone. Really was pathetic.

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, Nick L said:

There were certain people who were too cowardly to actually challenge a viewpoint and would use the laughing react to undermine someone. Really was pathetic.

Aye, we were all pretty-much doing that in the old politics thread - but it was a two-way street, and the whole section is history now, anyway. Was it being done in weather-related threads too?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Without naming anyone I remember there were a few posters doing it in the mod thread. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!
17 minutes ago, Nick L said:

I disagree with this, as it isn't as black or white as your post suggests.....there are too many people on here with ego's the size of galaxies who shout anyone down who dares challenge their viewpoint, so a 'sad' or 'laughing' emoji is a simple but effective way of showing disagreement without having to go through the 'joy' of compiling a well thought out argument onlyto be 'shouted down' or cyber-bullied......

• Like 6

Posted
7 minutes ago, beerandkebab said:

I disagree with this, as it isn't as black or white as your post suggests.....there are too many people on here with ego's the size of galaxies who shout anyone down who dares challenge their viewpoint, so a 'sad' or 'laughing' emoji is a simple but effective way of showing disagreement without having to go through the 'joy' of compiling a well thought out argument onlyto be 'shouted down' or cyber-bullied......

I think a better system personally was the old up and down vote, rather than the "emoji" style ones. Either way, it's not something I miss personally and the forum works fine without it.

Posted
Just now, Nick L said:

I think a better system personally was the old up and down vote, rather than the "emoji" style ones. Either way, it's not something I miss personally and the forum works fine without it.

yes, agreed on both counts......the ability to up or down vote annonymously would work.....there can;t be any directed accusations of trolling/bullying that way......still, a 'like' or 'thanks' is sufficient, no need to break something that seems to be working ok now!

• Like 1

Posted

There are multiple uses for the reactions, some good and helpful, some bad and unhelpful. We removed a couple because of the bad, it's really as basic and simple as that. Sometimes things are used in unintended ways which have unintended consequences, these are an example of that. 

As for the up/down votes, I always liked and championed the idea, but the reality was that they caused a ton of grief unfortunately, whether anonymous or not. We have a half way house now which works ok, isn't for everyone, but at least is there for those who want to use them. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,
1 hour ago, beerandkebab said:

Some people need to get out the house a little more often..

34 minutes ago, Nick L said:

It's a shame because I think the laughing one added something, personally. To me, it somehow added a little humour into things. Not entirely sure why someone would get upset about an Emoji reaction though.

• Like 2

Posted

Sadly, there are always those who insist on ruining things for the majority.

Posted

I do think the laughing one worked well for posts that were actually intended to be funny or amusing. Just it wasn’t being used properly by some.

Edited by matt111
  • Like 1

Posted

We all reach a point in life, when being savagely attacked by an ill-intended emojo pales into relative insignificance, considering the many other hazards life presents...Och well, back to the models?:santa-emoji:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

As always, the few ruining it for everyone else. Every system is open to abuse, sadly.

Posted
6 minutes ago, Lauren said:

As always, the few ruining it for everyone else. Every system is open to abuse, sadly.

So why not punish the few? I mean, folks get banned for all sorts of reasons, so why not for 'emoji abuse'? I'm sure the vast majority of us would take the hint...

Posted

It's a case of pick your battles Pete, there's a finite amount of people in the team and a finite amount of time in the day, sometimes the better route is to balance the features and the rules to keep things running smoothly and be able to spend time on more positive, and also more clear cut things. Emoji abuse as you put it, would be a nightmare to police, because ultimately only the person clicking the emoji knows why they're clicking it. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Of course of there was clear bad intent behind it, it would and has been acted on. 

But because it is only the few doing it, it means that this isn't an issue that's really worth getting too invested in. As Paul said, we have to pick our battles.

• Thanks 1

Posted

Have I started something by posting about it last night? Haven’t seen a thread showing as hot in the help section before.   

I’d assume there isn’t anything on the software that can be done other than making it the same for everyone? 

Posted

I was trolled by emoji last winter by somebody who took it upon themselves to use the 'confused' emoji, without fail, after each and post I wrote. 

The implication was that I was writing nonsense.

It got on my nerves and the mods dealt with it superbly.  That said, I didn't want the emojis banned, although it's up to the mods if they get this happening a lot...