Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Worldwide Mountain & Snow Sports Discussion 2018/19

J10

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Will be making a ski trip to Big White Ski Resort in 3 weeks time. A new resort located in the interior of Southern British Columbia , about 40 km from Kelowna. My son raves about the powder snow here ( snowboarder) so he is taking me up there for a few days travelling out from Vancouver.  Runs start from 5000ft up to 7000ft plus. Think I will gently Alpine ski through the trees and leave the bashing to him and younger legs. Should be a nice experience. Back to Katschberg in early February then a old chalet reunion ski trip to Lech ( now linked to St Anton ) making it one of the biggest ski areas in the world. Last visited there in 1980 !  Merry Christmas to all who love the mountains and the ski-ing.

C

Bigwhite-3187.jpg

Edited by carinthian
  • Like 4

21 hours ago, Blessed Weather said:

Great to have your weekly forecasts back Julian. :oldsmile:

Some big falls of snow today and into Christmas Eve in the Northern Alps of Switzerland and Austria, but you really need to be above 2,000m to see the heavy precipitation fall as snow. Below 1,500m just rain to wash away the snow from lower pistes and resorts which is a great shame at the start of this Christmas week. But not too much precipitation for many resorts in the French Alps so probably not so badly affected. Here's how Met Man Chris Fawkes sees it:

1983247559_AplstweetChrisFawkes23Dec.thumb.jpg.7918af71ce29578246b7d97797d4c28a.jpg

As is so often the case, as colder air moves back down from the north on Monday, the precipitation will die out - but hopefully giving a dusting first, to at least make everywhere look pretty again. The rest of the week at least dry and sunny for most with overnight temps below freezing. GFS charts:

Midnight today 23 Dec 1955676819_AlpsFreezingLevel24Dec00_00.thumb.png.cff36690546947ec776c6188037d9904.png186805610_AlpsPrecip24Dec00_00.thumb.png.6259c2425a83820bf89b84cca604cf17.png

15.00 Monday 24 Dec 534164007_AlpsFreezingLevel24Dec15_00.thumb.png.efb55b5323ab7eadb3032b171f603d23.png533030164_AlpsPrecip24Dec15_00.thumb.png.1a13a4a2218bbf148738146efb28dc0a.png

Visual proof of the damage done by the rain in the last 24 hours at Ellmau in Austria:

Sat 1610787438_Elmau1550m22Dec.thumb.jpg.daf6eae4a53e29d81e74f69d44128f0c.jpg Sun 9087163_Elmau1550m23Dec.thumb.jpg.61eac02c592b332774fd3dd1158fb1d4.jpg

Here's hoping the current indications of much colder weather for Europe as we move into January are on the money! Particularly as I'm off to the Bavarian Alps in Germany on Sat 5th Jan.

Thanks for the nice comments Malcolm I was intending to do a full blog, but I have a lot of things on at the moment, so sorry about that.  

Always good to see your input on here, and hopefully conditions will improve by the time you go away.

Some very warm weather over parts of Italy this morning due to a stong foehn.

Edited by J10
  • Like 1

Posted

Not very much snow below about 5,000 ft in the area but at height an absolute paradise.

https://panocam.skiline.cc/lauberhorn

Sitting at the cafe/hut and taking in that view is just magical, never failed tomake me glad to be alive. Sadly no more skiing so that view will be missed but the one from the Mannlichen restaurant/hotel will still be there for me to get my annual fix.

• Like 1

Posted
On 26/12/2018 at 10:44, York-snow said:

What is the long range forecast looking like? I’m worried by the high temperatures forecast in San Sicario where I go during the second week in January. Is there any let up in sight?

Thanks

The mid mountain temperatures of +8 on Wednesday must be a record for this time of year? Even in early April this would be above normal!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers
On 26/12/2018 at 10:44, York-snow said:

What is the long range forecast looking like? I’m worried by the high temperatures forecast in San Sicario where I go during the second week in January. Is there any let up in sight?

Thanks

Hi York-snow,
Apologies about the delay replying. To be honest, with big developments in the stratosphere (the SSW) and the tropics (the MJO) it really is difficult to forecast even a couple of weeks out. But here's a recent Alps outlook from the Long Range Snow Center which is put together by Zac @Snowy Hibbo who is a member on Netweather (and other forums). He has an excellent understanding of how the above might impact and his thoughts are in his report. You can also follow Zac on Twitter @longrangesnow

https://longrangesnowcenter.blogspot.com/2018/12/europe-on-long-term-28th-dec.html

• Like 2

Posted

A light snowfall in the Jungfrau region only, that in spite of Swiss Met predicted 20 cm or more a few days ago!

Anyway the link below shows that the Lauberhorn start area is already cordoned off but no sign of the annual upheaval in the village yet

http://www.lauberhorn.ch/en/Livecam

Posted

I'm driving down to Mittenwald in the Bavarian Alps on Sunday for a week's stay, intending to ski there and Garmisch just down the road, also Seefeld just up the road into Austria. Then the following Sunday traveling over to the Black Forest to the small ski resort of Feldberg for another week. It's looking like a memorable trip coming up, with the forecasts all suggesting an increasingly cold and snowy fortnight. :oldsmile:

I'm glad I've got a 4-wheel drive car with winter tyres and snow chains in reserve. I suspect some difficulties might be experienced this coming weekend with transfers in/out of resorts.

452966964_ChrisFawkestweetsnowfall04Jan.thumb.jpg.40b0ec5acc38d5f524bb2516e265dc88.jpg

• Like 3

Posted
48 minutes ago, Blessed Weather said:

I'm driving down to Mittenwald in the Bavarian Alps on Sunday for a week's stay, intending to ski there and Garmisch just down the road, also Seefeld just up the road into Austria. Then the following Sunday traveling over to the Black Forest to the small ski resort of Feldberg for another week. It's looking like a memorable trip coming up, with the forecasts all suggesting an increasingly cold and snowy fortnight. :oldsmile:

I'm glad I've got a 4-wheel drive car with winter tyres and snow chains in reserve. I suspect some difficulties might be experienced this coming weekend with transfers in/out of resorts.

452966964_ChrisFawkestweetsnowfall04Jan.thumb.jpg.40b0ec5acc38d5f524bb2516e265dc88.jpg

Very envious of you. Skied a couple of years at Seefeld many many years ago, summer visited there along with Mittenwald and Garmisch, lovely areas. Have a great time after all your troubles recently.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted

The northern alps continue to get battered with snow and are forecast to continue to. Meanwhile my destination in the south west alps haven’t had new snow since the 20th December and haven’t got any in the forecast for at least the next week. Frustrating. Maybe I should have chosen a different destination this year.

Posted

And the first signs of the village sqare area being changed into the area for the Lauberhorn race presentations. Also the Lauberhorn start gate is now fenced off.

image.thumb.png.7789a6a26f788bbe4a2ef7c9d4629660.png

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, johnholmes said:

And the first signs of the village square area being changed into the area for the Lauberhorn race presentations. Also the Lauberhorn start gate is now fenced off.

image.thumb.png.7789a6a26f788bbe4a2ef7c9d4629660.png

http://www.lauberhorn.ch/en/Livecam

Edited by johnholmes

Sorry no Ski blog this weekend.

Some heavy snowfall over many parts of Central and Eastern Europe. over the past couple of days with signs that this may move further West during theis week.

http://www.severe-weather.eu/mcd/hold-on-north-austria-extremely-deep-snow-will-get-even-deeper-this-week-as-another-50-100-cm-of-snow-likely-to-come/

It has been a wild past few days across the northern Alpine flank as intense snowfall has been on going in northern Austria. It is the effect of a classic Stau effect setup with strong northerlies advecting into the Alps. Locally 100-200 cm of snow has been reported. But it is far from over – excessive snowfall with locally extreme amounts of new snow is expected to continue this week, so snow depth will get much deeper!

Snow Forecast 0-3 days                        Snow Forecast 3-6 days

image.thumb.png.9efa06bf9d28dce35caf57bcf59bc97a.pngimage.thumb.png.fa715e3f2036682e7390dcdeef23a0f7.png

Edited by J10
  • Like 1

Posted

I'm back from a week in Les Arcs where conditions were firm or icy everywhere all week. Temps were relatively mild for the first few days, just above freezing in the afternoon, but never warm enough for real slush anywhere.

From Wednesday onward, it got much colder, -7C in the afternoon at resort level, colder higher up. That day we had a little snowfall on the lower pistes, as the temperature dropped it was cold enough to squeeze out the little moisture from the air, with cloud and some snow up to about 200m. It remained clear throughout our stay above that level, with almost blue skies every day.

On Saturday we took a trip over to La Plagne, linked by the Vanoise Express telepherique, and the icy conditions were worse there, probably due to more of its slopes being exposed to the sun all day. In Les Arcs, slopes either face east or west, and with the low angle of the sun at this time of the year, don't ever get too cooked before cooling again.

Right now, some proper snowfall is forecast for tomorrow and Wednesday. They really need it, snowmaking was in operation for the second half of our stay, which made a difference, but doesn't cover the whole resort. Temperatures are forecast down to -15C as well, which will be very trying.

• Like 2

Posted

News flashes already talking about deaths due to avalanches in those areas with huge snowfalls.

sorry posted before I read the above from J10

Edited by johnholmes

Posted

Greetings from Mittenwald in the very snowy Bavarian Alps. That was quite some journey getting here, with the last couple of hours very difficult with snow and ice on the main roads and the local road just past Mittenwald closed due to avalanche risk.

I'm afraid I've no skiing to report yet as Monday was spent chilling and exploring the town (beautiful) and today (Tues) heavy snow on and off and poor visibility. And I'm not sure when I'll get some skiing in. Nowadays I'm not a fan of skiing in such conditions - just too hard on the legs (can't see the bumps and dips coming up) and goggles snowed up is not a lot of fun. Look at this 4 day forecast. Friday looking my best bet:

1700622062_MittenwaldForecast08Jan.thumb.jpg.f85d580e6e3b4219ba4ce63370cbc312.jpg2082600422_MittenwaldsnowdepthForecast08Jan.thumb.jpg.1eef2f4b9c73dd9787e9be8a05c65ce9.jpg

So today me and Sheila (my wife) went on a lovely 3 hour sleigh ride into the back country with a schnitzel and beer stop mid-way. :oldsmile:

So while I wait to get some pics of the pistes, some other pics: the view from the apartment (Mon - the sun briefly came out!), the town centre at night, and the sleigh ride.

869961614_MittenwaldMon07Jan.thumb.jpg.4234319f991732c2f492f6304b5a1430.jpg1352585586_MittenwaldSun06Jan.thumb.jpg.3e3f9de980ec4a0ad3868527d7e83370.jpg642926637_Sleighride1.thumb.jpg.157e877b6ed964b5c7c747b50d67ad68.jpg1366989808_Sleighride2.thumb.jpg.fd8b0ba8f2842624285f23a05f78d60f.jpg

• Like 5

Posted

What a snowy world there, lovely photos, re the legs etc, a sign of age young man! I remember when I started to ski only in good light and then only in blue skies and pisted runs. Still a great sport though and I know I will miss it when out walking this year. Hope you get your skiing in soon and stay safe.

• Like 2

Posted

Oh my goodness @Blessed Weather  those pictures are absolutely stunning, what a winter wonderland, I hope you have a lovely time there; can't see how you couldn't in those beautiful surroundings. I will add that to my growing list of snowy paradises to visit. With our doggie day care provider moving to America we are unable to plan any trips in the near term this year, so it is pure armchair tourism from the unsnowy wastes of Surbiton, so please keep sending these in chaps and chapesses. Edit: just showed these pictures to my son, we are nearly crying with jealousy!

Edited by Reefseeker
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow
On 09/01/2019 at 08:58, johnholmes said:

What a snowy world there, lovely photos, re the legs etc, a sign of age young man! I remember when I started to ski only in good light and then only in blue skies and pisted runs. Still a great sport though and I know I will miss it when out walking this year. Hope you get your skiing in soon and stay safe.

I went skiing for the first time in 25 years last year. The guys I was with had been going every year for a good while and persuaded me to go with them to Ischgl.  I was surprised when one of the guys said how he wouldn't ski if it was snowing, and explained how he couldn’t cope visually with it.  I couldn’t remember experiencing anything like that from my previous times of skiing.  But, like you said, must be a thing with old age.  We had a nice ski over to  Switzerland, a nice lunch, and then a ski back as it started to snow.  I couldn’t believe how disorientated I became.  Even went crashing into the piste edge at one point, not knowing what the hell had bought me down as I’d assumed I had been in the middle of it!.  It hasn’t put me off, as I’m off to St Anton in a few weeks time. But I think if it’s snowing I will put my skis up and relax with a drop of Glühwein instead!

• Like 1