Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - The Hunt For Cold

Paul
Message added by Paul

If you're hunting for cold potential in the model output, this thread is for you. But if you'd like to look more widely at the models, please head over to the general model discussion thread.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
51 minutes ago, Pajcov said:

Sorry for my lack of knowledge but can anyone explain what this means.. cheers..

6D8C620F-4EED-4853-B45D-0F084E3759E8.png

This is good news:oldsmile:

on to the gfs and the the pattern has backtracked further west,-6's coming in off the north sea at 180

watch you don't get frost bite:oldgrin:

gfs-1-192.thumb.png.b917c79982b32cea070b25a86a63cce5.png

cpc still good too.

610day_03.thumb.gif.31f70edb38342b7177820df390306e51.gif814day_03.thumb.gif.f13d00052507c3b04557e6f2223b1796.gif

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but wind & rain
26 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

I would think that being so deep into the season that this anomaly is suggested, it will be strat initiated in some form or another. 

The the d-j-f MSLP anomaly was skewed by a - ve NAO later in January and February apparently. quote ian fergusson.

Posted

I think keeping to the basics of what the models are trending at the moment we can see that the UK will be on the colder side of the jet so certainly no significantly mild weather on the horizon, we got heights around Iceland, we got an Arctic high forecast(although most runs suggest this won't directly be an influence as of yet), we got some colder air trying to drop down into Scandinavia and now we are seeing more support for the PV over Canada to be replaced by WAA. I think all things considered, the outlook has potential but as we know, this does not gurantee a set up with cold and snow but it should keep us on our toes at least. 

Weatherwise, next week won't be all that great, hopefully Tuesday will be that convective sunshine and shower day but at times the rest of the week look cold, windy and wet. That said, some areas may see some patchy frost and mist and fog could be a possibility after any rainfall and if skies clear at night?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
Just now, northwestsnow said:

No.. that low is a real pain and wont allow for retrogression ..

It's a cold HP though. Frost lingering all day under that.

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, CreweCold said:

It's a cold HP though. Frost lingering all day under that.

That low should clear through at the back end but pretty pointless by so late in the run ..... agreed that high is cold ....the eps control had similar feature 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
Just now, bluearmy said:

That low should clear through at the back end but pretty pointless by so late in the run ..... agreed that high is cold ....the eps control had similar feature 

Yeah, a shame, as a nice Arctic HP shows its hand late on

gfsnh-0-312.png?18

Posted

WHOAH!!!:shok:

gfsnh-0-312.thumb.png.d0c6886a7571c9a720697888156dbf3e.png

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

The other way as i've said before is for the Atlantic low to Phase with the scandi troughing and open the door from the North, thats how we could avoid the Atlantic trough spoiling things, still goes wrong and a low too deep and round ensues after this phasing on the 18z but it is possible to have a more favourable outcome from this scenario.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

I still think GFS is wrong day 7+ but hey.

Here is the GFSp

gfs-2-84.png?18

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
4 minutes ago, Allseasons-si said:

WHOAH!!!

gfsnh-0-312.thumb.png.d0c6886a7571c9a720697888156dbf3e.png

Another route....what a bomb and ridiculous winter conditions digging in behind.  

BFTP

Posted

I really want this to verify to blow the rest of the leaves off the trees to make it look more seasonal:oldgrin:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Allseasons-si said:

I really want this to verify to blow the rest of the leaves off the trees to make it look more seasonal

I was thinking the exact same thing a few days ago!!want these leaves gone before we get any snowfall!!looks so much better on the trees without leaves!!what a good evening its been from a coldie perspective!!upgrades all round and hopefully tomorrow morning should bring more!!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Northerly does ensue, this IMO would be the way to clean the atlantic up, even if this attempt had too high uppers and too much mixing out of cold and mild sectors were a problem, look at the bout of WAA into Greenland - sustainable pattern.

gfsnh-0-384.png?18

All pie in the sky stuff of course but nothing to stop that ridge completely ripping the PV clean through for a cross polar flow now and no spoilers to stop the Arctic air flooding south.

Edited by feb1991blizzard
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Doesn't the GFS have these occasions of throwing out a huge dartboard-low when it's trying to resolve the idea of something colder?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

The deep low from my point of view would be interesting and would not mind it occuring even if it did meant of course the Atlantic returning. All that said though, I don't think the output is too bad on a cold weather point of view, its more we want too see the models show more colder solutions for the UK via a Northerly, that may happen, it may not but at least it will keep us on our toes.

• Like 1