Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - The Hunt For Cold

Paul
Message added by Paul

If you're hunting for cold potential in the model output, this thread is for you. But if you'd like to look more widely at the models, please head over to the general model discussion thread.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers
1 minute ago, Devonshire said:

Ah, ok - I wonder if there is an easy way of distinguishing the parallel run from the others - indicating which category it is in, to see its trends alongside the other trends?

I'll make a note of which ones the OP, parallel and control fall into in future updates  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal (Continental)
9 minutes ago, Quicksilver1989 said:

I'll make a note of which ones the OP, parallel and control fall into in future updates  

Thank you very much!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

The GFS parallel has certainly hit the ground running...all we need is for it to be running in the right direction?:cold:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Many already said it earlier but ECM is a clear winner for now. It stuck to its guns and modelled the area of low pressure over Europe correctly right from the beginning. GFS para had no clue 24 hours ago.

Yesterday

gfs-0-120.png?6

Today 

gfs-0-96.png?6

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, daz_4 said:

Many already said it earlier but ECM is a clear winner for now. It stuck to its guns and modelled the area of low pressure over Europe correctly right from the beginning. GFS para had no clue 24 hours ago.

Yesterday

gfs-0-120.png?6

Today 

gfs-0-96.png?6

We'll all know which, if either, model is right, come the 21st...?

• Like 3

Posted
7 minutes ago, daz_4 said:

Yesterday

gfs-0-120.png?6

Today 

gfs-0-96.png?6

Not completely right but prob more right than the others .......however, past day 5/6, it could well be wrong in other areas .....Exeter recognise that 30% chance of the gfsp being close to the mark ..... would be nice to know where mogreps are ......

Edited by bluearmy
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
1 minute ago, bluearmy said:

Not completely right but more right than the others .......however, past day 5/6, it could well be wrong in other areas .....Exeter recognise that 30% chance of the gfsp being close to the mark ..... would be nice to know where mogreps are ......

If they have quoted 30%, perhaps 30% of the mogreps are showing it!, i can't imagine they would give too much weighting to a prototype GFS model given the resources at their own disposal.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
11 minutes ago, daz_4 said:

Yesterday

gfs-0-120.png?6

Today 

gfs-0-96.png?6

biggest concern is how wet Wednesday will be in the Midlands, could rain all day without a break, surface water, flooding maybe

Posted
6 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

If they have quoted 30%, perhaps 30% of the mogreps are showing it!, i can't imagine they would give too much weighting to a prototype GFS model given the resources at their own disposal.

They don’t quote percentages - I was taking that from the cold eps cluster ..... however, now I’ve read it they talk about into December and the eps cluster/gfsp is onset around day 9/11.  Not for this thread but their 6/14 day forecast covers the more wintry option 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Not completely right but prob more right than the others .......however, past day 5/6, it could well be wrong in other areas .....Exeter recognise that 30% chance of the gfsp being close to the mark ..... would be nice to know where mogreps are ......

12Zs will sure make interesting viewing Blue!

I'm only speculating here but would the 30% be weighted towards the UKMET model?

Bearing in mind UKMO/GEM were pretty similar at 144 this morning and GEM did indeed go onto produce a very good run ..

Either way i'm sure the next 5 hours will be much more revealing, i'm sitting on the fence although my 75% confidence in an 'agreeable' outcome for coldies is now at 50%...

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, northwestsnow said:

12Zs will sure make interesting viewing Blue!

I'm only speculating here but would the 30% be weighted towards the UKMET model?

Bearing in mind UKMO/GEM were pretty similar at 144 this morning and GEM did indeed go onto produce a very good run ..

Either way i'm sure the next 5 hours will be much more revealing, i'm sitting on the fence although my 75% confidence in an 'agreeable' outcome for coldies is now at 50%...

The 30% is purely my figure from the eps clusters which show a similar evolution to the gfsp 

• Like 1

Posted

The 30% is purely my figure from the eps clusters which show a similar evolution to the gfsp 

Yes thats understandable..as ever time will tell..

Posted
15 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

biggest concern is how wet Wednesday will be in the Midlands, could rain all day without a break, surface water, flooding maybe

or the models may well be showing snow for the welsh hills - could be fun yet

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Not sure where all this flooding talk is coming from, i'm aware that most people don't like rain but its like you have a phobia about it, its almost like you take the worst model run PPN, then treble it, is this some kind of reverse psychology?  im not being flippant as i am aware there is some kind of mental illness associated with weather, it causes some kind of depression with some people doesnt it? Just wondering if you need maybe to see a doctor.

Aye. Fantasising Modelitis...It can even cause night terrors.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and hot, sunny summers!

GFSP/GFS/ECM/UKMO +144h:

gfsnh-0-144.png?6gfsnh-0-144.png?6ECH1-144.GIF?17-12Modele UKMO - Carte prévisions

Same again 48 hours later, excluding the UKMO as it doesn't run out this far, +192h:

gfsnh-0-192.png?6gfsnh-0-192.png?6ECH1-192.GIF?17-12

In essence, we have the ECM/GFS  vs GFSP/UKMO.  By +144h, the NH pattern for all is, as expected at this range, broadly similar.  However, the 2 sets handle the Canadian sector with huge differences.  In essence, the GFSP has the Canadian LP positioned far enough NE that it is able to influence the sciceland high, thus allowing the siberian PV segment to drop in behind.  This is seen by +192, and the UKMO would perhaps progress to a similar scenario.  For the GFS and ECM, this does not happen and in the prior the high melts away (worst case scenerio), while the ECM has the high go through a combination of retrogression and sinking, which does pull the high to a similar position as is seen in the GFSP, but prevents the siberian PV from dropping in around its back.  

Until the Canadian sector is resolved, the evolution of this scenario remains uncertain.  All eyes should be looking west, not east, over the next few days to see how this progresses.

Edited by weatherguy
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

And so to the 12s with the ICON just about to start rolling.
And it's squeaky bum time already, and it's only mid November. But surely this is what we are in this for,  the will it, won't it, knife-edge, tipping point scenario that currently faces us.
At T120 the models will either go for the Greenland high or they won't.  If they don't, the background drivers I would suggest give significant hope for something decent a week or so down the line (e.g. GFS 6z).
If they do, we are looking at 2010 redux, it's as simple as that.
Let the super-computers do their thing!

• Like 5

Posted

Already backtracking from the Met.Now talking sleet showers for next week,when before kept going on about nothing but rain showers at lower levels on their online forecasts.

Have they looked at the gfs p and realised that the form-model now along with nav model

• Like 6

Posted
10 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

Already backtracking from the Met.Now talking sleet showers for next week,when before kept going on about nothing but rain showers at lower levels on their online forecasts.

Have they looked at the gfs p and realised that the form-model now along with nav model

Are you referring to the ICON ? Just to tad confused 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall
2 minutes ago, Skullzrulerz said:

Are you referring to the ICON ? Just to tad confused 

No he,s refering to the Navgem model.