Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - The Hunt For Cold

Paul
Message added by Paul

If you're hunting for cold potential in the model output, this thread is for you. But if you'd like to look more widely at the models, please head over to the general model discussion thread.

Posted

Well for the older members here we know well that the up and down of model watching is part of the norm. It isn't called the rollercoaster without good reason!!

One thing that does surprise me though is that over the last 20 years of model watching I can't honestly see any improvement in weather predictions beyond about 7 days.

Eyes down for the 18z.....

• Like 4

Posted
3 minutes ago, blizzard81 said:

I think the murk is already beginning to clear judging by the ext debilt ens

Could be a dodgy run ......the upper ridge heads west rather quickly compared to all recent output ........gefs is still strong on the scandi trough and has been so throughout 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

Disappear for an hour or two and I had to pinch myself to make sure I hadn't walked into a discussion in 2013!  

All the output today (and indeed every day) sits in the range of uncertainty that exists, I don't feel any more or less bullish about cold prospects given the model output, and certainly not influenced by some of the comments on here. Anyone posted the GEM 12z yet?  

Here T240, decent block, not headed for vortex shredding or anything like that, but decent for advecting the cold towards the UK.

image.thumb.jpg.01ec230e18cce3bb08fe9f13824ca02a.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.c5def74f2970d23ba72b27cd02a5e0aa.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Snow, Snow and Cold
Just now, Man With Beard said:

Haven't time to browse the whole thread but has anyone posted the parallel yet? Sticking to its guns at D9. Stunning. 

gfs-0-216.png?12

Hello and Good Evening Man With Beard, I presonally would prefer that high to be a few hundred miles further north, which will hopefully increase the precip signal inlnad, which hopefully will be significant snow.

Posted
3 minutes ago, AppleUK 123 said:

Hello and Good Evening Man With Beard, I presonally would prefer that high to be a few hundred miles further north, which will hopefully increase the precip signal inlnad, which hopefully will be significant snow.

Agreed! You never know, that kind of change is within the margins of error. Though, having said that, I'm aware this pattern is not the only one on offer tonight... I thought it's particularly worth posting this parallel tonight given it isn't backing the less cold ECM op, so we can look back in a few days and see which was closer. 

• Thanks 2

Posted
9 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Could be a dodgy run ......the upper ridge heads west rather quickly compared to all recent output ........gefs is still strong on the scandi trough and has been so throughout 

It is rock solid on the majority of runs with the spoiler low anchored to our south west. Only the ecm picked up on this originally and it has stuck to it rigidly. Will be interesting to see if it verifies. This is a classic battle royale between the ecm and the upgraded gfsp. 

Posted
15 minutes ago, January Snowstorm said:

Well for the older members here we know well that the up and down of model watching is part of the norm. It isn't called the rollercoaster without good reason!!

One thing that does surprise me though is that over the last 20 years of model watching I can't honestly see any improvement in weather predictions beyond about 7 days.

Eyes down for the 18z.....

I don't agree, I think the models have improved alot in picking out trends in the medium term but as per ever, the details of each run will always vary. A pattern change of a blocked outlook has been well predicted and a blocked and chillier outlook is going to occur. The models has also been consistent of never really showing anything particularly wintry either apart from a couple of GFS FI low resolution runs at various times.  

I think the disapointment on here at the moment is because this set up is occuring in November and that the follow up Northerly has never really been picked up, we are all hoping that PV dropping into Western Russia/Scandinavia will head Southwestwards towards us but as I said, apart from a few GFS FI runs, its a signal at this moment in time the models are not really interested in.

The ECM is a chilly run mind, continental winds and under any clear skies we may see some frost in places. Whilst the initial easterly does not look like it will have much oomph behind it, giving the warm SST's and the slight lowering of thicknesses, we could see some convective showers at least especially the further South you are. 

I am glad the models have backed away of the Euro low heading through the UK, the thought of grey and persistant wet weather is not too appealing. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
14 minutes ago, blizzard81 said:

It is rock solid on the majority of runs with the spoiler low anchored to our south west. Only the ecm picked up on this originally and it has stuck to it rigidly. Will be interesting to see if it verifies. This is a classic battle royale between the ecm and the upgraded gfsp. 

It’s the bahaviour of the Icelandic upper ridge later week 2 that’s odd .... Steve is right that the ec op has been progressive ..... the mean has now caught it up though ...........

latest icon run has plenty of the variables with notable differences by day 5 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

where were you in 2012 Apple UK when ECM had led us  up thethe garden path and brought us back down with a bang the next day? now  that was a model upset if ever there was one 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

ICON 18z only runs to T120, but I think it's a marginal downgrade in terms of higher heights SE of the main block. Here T120, then 12z at same time:

image.thumb.jpg.6e92f60f956657b11fa1e738c823498c.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.faf77f425e94abe4c20c05bbee44c964.jpg

GFS and, maybe more importantly FV3, will be interesting tonight.

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

It’s the bahaviour of the Icelandic upper ridge later week 2 that’s odd .... Steve is right that the ec op has been progressive ..... the mean has now caught it up though ...........

latest icon run has plenty of the variables with notable differences by day 5 

The ecm has certainly been progressive. I have made several posts over the last few days comparing like for like charts on subsequent days showing the ecm over egged the sagging of the scandi high on its south east flank. It's handling of the biscay low has been much more consistent unfortunately. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold
2 hours ago, Broadmayne blizzard said:

I'm sorry but that is possibly one of the silliest posts I've ever seen on this forum. You need to take a look at the archive charts a few days ahead of the winter of 62/63.

When will folk realise that the weather will do what it likes whenever. And the charts we have seen so far have been nothing but fascinating so far setting the scenes for an optimistic festive period ahead. Just enjoy the next week and see how things unfold before jumping to conclusions.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Calgary, Canada. Previously, Saffron Walden (Essex/Herts border), United Kingdom
  • Weather Preferences: Continental:Warm dry summers, cold snowy winters
  • Location: Calgary, Canada. Previously, Saffron Walden (Essex/Herts border), United Kingdom
12 minutes ago, syed2878 said:

where were you in 2012 Apple UK when ECM had led us  up thethe garden path and brought us back down with a bang the next day? now  that was a model upset if ever there was one 

You're giving me flashbacks! All because of a tiny shortwave. Early December. 5th if i recall

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
1 minute ago, CanadaAl said:

You're giving me flashbacks! All because of a tiny shortwave. Early December. 5th if i recall

12Z yes, cannot find it on archives,

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
3 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

12Z yes, cannot find it on archives,

ECM1-240.thumb.gif.e5b980e89b8a90e315ab518aee7828d9.gifECM0-240.thumb.gif.9d28fd186df4cc58aa9228033784fc85.gif

Archive here - http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ecmwf.php?ech=72&mode=0&map=0&type=0&archive=1&mois=12&heure=12&jour=5&annee=2012

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted
2 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Thats it SS , was looking on meteociel, probably couldn't find it as my French is not good

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental:Warm dry summers, cold snowy winters

Posted
4 minutes ago, CanadaAl said:

forever known as "that ECM run"

Ay, and a member named after it @That ECM

• Like 1