Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - The Hunt For Cold

Paul
Message added by Paul

If you're hunting for cold potential in the model output, this thread is for you. But if you'd like to look more widely at the models, please head over to the general model discussion thread.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Can already see the model fatigue creeping in amongst some, the same as what happened during the beast from the east! 

Conclusively, there looks to be a cold shot nailed on. As ever, the devil is in the detail. But I wouldn’t be chucking toys out of the buggy, when it is approaching December and charts that seem like a real dream coming into reality! 

• Like 8

Posted

Whatever happens towards the end of Nov will still rapidly cool down Northern Europe , especially Scandinavia giving plenty of snow cover - moving forward this is no bad thing and a second wave of Easterlies should the first brake down could be far more potent 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
49 minutes ago, WalsallWeather123 said:

I said a shift towards. Big difference between being the same mate. Read the post. Anyway, I'll stop posting as clearly a few people are bothered. 

One run, we are a week away from evolution......folk need to watch and see developments.....what were your thoughts 7-10 days ago on the models?  And this is a generic question ....not what is now showing.... I suspect.  What I say by this...the 12z today is no more than 00z or 06z today....let’s see over next few days and indeed Monday......but what I say is the route is cold...to colder

BFTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers

image.thumb.png.a4e3ff19797496cba73f4bdefda0b583.png

12z swingometers.

Arctic airmasses with the really cold uppers not out of the question yet. A small rise in the number of runs with average uppers and anticyclonic types (November 25th)

• Like 3

Posted

Shame there is no shift at all towards Atlantic dominated weather then ?‍♂️ Therefore, you are either trolling or haven’t a clue how to read the charts.

• Like 3

Posted
32 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

The 12Z evolves in a fairly unique way IMO...not only is it unlike the ECM, it's even unlike itself??

And where's the jet stream gone?

Netweather GFS Image

I wonder how long that HP would need to hang about, for nighttime temperatures to reach minus double digits?

Pete...that’s cold....but as I have been hinted before and a ‘watch’ from me..the potential LP west of Iceland looks like a ‘bomb’ to move NNW/SSE to me

BFTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,
3 minutes ago, BLAST FROM THE PAST said:

One run, we are a week away from evolution......folk need to watch and see developments.....what were your thoughts 7-10 days ago on the models?  And this is a genetic question to all ....not what is now showing I suspect.  What I say by this...the 12z today is no more than 00z or 06z today....let’s see over next few days and indeed Monday

BFTP

I think me and you were one of the only few that were posting on here saying that the models were going to soon be showing colder weather for the end of November, then a couple of cold runs came out and we went through the whole "It's 300 hours away" stuff and now everyone in on board chasing this cold spell, it's been fascinating to see the evolution of not only the models finally showing what we were expecting them to show, but also how people on here have reacted to it, too. 

I'll be honest I wasn't expecting the models to show anything quite as extreme as a couple of the GFS runs, but I was certainly expecting a cool down and given the models today, that still hasn't changed. 

Many changes to come I suspect but the theme for me remains consistent. Turning colder at the end of the month, it was always going to be a slow burner scenario but I think the wait will pay off.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

Day 10 GEFS ensemble mean looking great, by the way! I suspect op is going to be rather out of kilter with the ensembles

Day10.thumb.png.8bdb9e402ae0ce0737c679351f69741f.png

• Like 8

Posted
1 minute ago, Daniel Smith said:

I think me and you were one of the only few that were posting on here saying that the models were going to soon be showing colder weather for the end of November, then a couple of cold runs came out and we went through the whole "It's 300 hours away" stuff and now everyone in on board chasing this cold spell, it's been fascinating to see the evolution of not only the models finally showing what we were expecting them to show, but also how people on here have reacted to it, too. 

I'll be honest I wasn't expecting the models to show anything quite as extreme as a couple of the GFS runs, but I was certainly expecting a cool down and given the models today, that still hasn't changed. 

Many changes to come I suspect but the theme for me remains consistent. Turning colder at the end of the month, it was always going to be a slow burner scenario but I think the wait will pay off.

The change will be stark Dan imo.....cold enough foe lowland snow for Southern England by end of month.  Models still resolving and catching up

BFTP

• Like 8

Posted
2 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

the gefs mean looks pretty wintry but the individual members show a wide range of solutions …………………  still tail and donkey …….

Yes quite a lot of divergence Blue, although most roads lead to a cold outcome, be that 'surface' cold or '850' cold..

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

Until we get all the Op's singing from the same hymn sheet  and backed by the ensemble mean then nothing is nailed on, but then we already know that, right?

Any real cold was always programmed for end of Nov /early Dec and that is till FI so the one thing we can guarantee is run to run divergence.

Until then it is a case of looking at the broader patterns and the broader pattern is prominent blocking.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

Crucial part coming up for ECM at 96hrs, need to see this depression (shown on the 00z) to eject smoothly away from Greenland like the GEM has it:

image.thumb.png.7439d0afba9d24e32991c4857ffd6b95.pnggemnh-0-96.png?12

Edited by Panayiotis
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

Now if I were to picture a beautiful chart for cold prospects, the ECM 12z @120hrs would probably be a good match, look at the differences between the 00z and 12z, northern hemispheric and locally! 

image.thumb.png.5490fd851499ffda2c1123fa970d5351.pngimage.thumb.png.e6f93f7cf954139151bd13118b6bcfe6.png

Edited by Panayiotis
  • Like 4

Posted
8 minutes ago, Panayiotis said:

Much better from the ECM 12z @ 96hrs, see how the depression (compared to the 00z on the left) has moved away from Greenland...(comparison to the GEM on the right)

image.thumb.png.49e1604558c022d545119cb901dd576c.pngimage.thumb.png.70e778eae5f9adef493745b8fc070533.pngimage.thumb.png.0763fa0899b19ac5fb55c407be1a451a.png

00z the depression is 12hrs behind as were 12z it has moved 12z forward of course it will look like it cleared everything is moving around the block?

Posted
12 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

Some things to bear in mind when thinking about snow chances for next week :

- It's going to be a fairly long lived easterly, and so uppers will become less important as time goes on

- We will be less than a month from the winter solstice by this time next week, so without southerly or westerly input, the trend will be to cool not warm as time goes on

- isn't the GFS parallel verifying much better than the GFS op, if so, shouldn't we be discussing that more on here? Tonight, it shuts out mild sources pretty much until the end of the run

the voice of reason MWB …. been making this point for weeks ………………… ecm progressive with the cold pool …….very close to the 12z gfsp

• Like 5