Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - The Hunt For Cold

Paul
Message added by Paul

If you're hunting for cold potential in the model output, this thread is for you. But if you'd like to look more widely at the models, please head over to the general model discussion thread.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

Before the trolling starts, ICON isn't terrible.

Heights.thumb.png.c6369791bdfde995cff8dff5182cfc56.png

It's certainly a slow burner and isn't quite as fast with the direct cold but you've got pretty extensive blocking to the North there and with low pressure sitting over the UK it isn't really going to sink anywhere, heights re-newing over Scandi would eventually open up a more direct cold airflow. 

It's just another variation on the theme, which is extensive Northern blocking and eventual cold into the UK.

The 2 lows i circled are to close for my liking if they phase everything collapses would have loved to see the icon at 216hr and 240hr..

Denis.png

Posted

Of course the ironies of the ECM run is that if it was deeper into winter and if there was more cold pooling over the continent then the potential for a persistent snow event would be there with the low coming up from the South, it does complicate the overall set up mind if that does occur which is in fairness plausible.

You do get a slight nagging feeling that it has all came just a bit too early and with more luck(e.g more colder air to play with) things could be different because synotopics wise, they are a snow lovers dream really.

As per ever, the details will no doubt change so the low heading up from the South is by no means a certainity. 

Posted
1 minute ago, WalsallWeather123 said:

A sceuro high wouldn't bring in deep cold from the NE like a greenland high would. Of course thing are going to get colder but for deep cold and snow we need a greenland high for this time of the year. A sceuro high won't cut it. Lets see what this GFS run will bring

A sceuro high would actually potentially bring some very cold surface conditions in late November..

Likely not the low 850s but i would be delighted with a sceuro high personally ..

• Like 3

Just now, northwestsnow said:

A sceuro high would actually potentially bring some very cold surface conditions in late November..

Likely not the low 850s but i would be delighted with a sceuro high personally ..

Surface cold, yes absolutely. But I'm sure most are chasing snow which we need a greenland high for this time of year

Posted
1 minute ago, WalsallWeather123 said:

Surface cold, yes absolutely. But I'm sure most are chasing snow which we need a greenland high for this time of year

Of course i can only speak for myself

But yes, sceuro would potentially be inversion cold which at the time of year could be freezing, (short days etc).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers

image.thumb.png.9c5f254e3c156dcdac27b9be0a2e16c6.png

I think the problem is this low was forecast to go under the block but is now going towards Greenland.

It is a potential trouble causer and on the milder runs it stops the high from retrogressing far enough west and as a result the high gets stuck over the continent to an extent still.

The result of this is that the cold air goes over Russia instead of Scandi.

The result would be a sleety grey easterlies for a few days and then a return to mild weather unless another high pressure cell builds in the NW North Atlantic.

People have been too quick to dismiss the idea as it appeared on the ECM, this is our key point.

The 06z ensembles still saw a lot of retrogression though. Keep our feet on the ground is all I am warning

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
2 minutes ago, WalsallWeather123 said:

Except in those historical situations when we didn't:

GFS Archive Image

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

tbf-.. im liking the hp slant and evo.

can see some serious kick of cold advection as we develop!!!

everthing playing in sync.

and the spill seems 'somewhat primmed'..

steady as we go !

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers
5 minutes ago, Quicksilver1989 said:

image.thumb.png.9c5f254e3c156dcdac27b9be0a2e16c6.png

I think the problem is this low was forecast to go under the block but is now going towards Greenland.

It is a potential trouble causer and on the milder runs it stops the high from retrogressing far enough west and as a result the high gets stuck over the continent to an extent still.

The result of this is that the cold air goes over Russia instead of Scandi.

The result would be a sleety grey easterlies for a few days and then a return to mild weather unless another high pressure cell builds in the NW North Atlantic.

People have been too quick to dismiss the idea as it appeared on the ECM, this is our key point.

The 06z ensembles still saw a lot of retrogression though. Keep our feet on the ground is all I am warning

The cold air is held back from western Greenland upto T108, it looks ok so far (I think).  

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

You'd struggle to draw a straighter line of WAA into Greenland with a ruler

Ruler.thumb.png.1744270b123de12e1d1ae86c099041dd.png

Sharper Easterly across the UK too helping to bring the cold pool in a little closer/earlier. 

UKMO 144 whilst not as good as this mornings GFS run, certainly isn't a 'backtrack' as much as certain members are trying to wish one into existence.

UKMO11.thumb.gif.993409fe240baa22a4e879fb344195dc.gif

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted

There has been too many occasions when there has been one model out on its own, and the others have eventually fallen into line with said model! I'm still excited, but watching with a huge amount of caution. 

Edited by Nizzer
  • Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, daz_4 said:

UKMO is also pretty similar to ECM.

UW144-21.GIF?15-16

ECM1-144.GIF?15-12

dash,few weeks later that would have been heavy snow here.Lets hope the pattern continues into winter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Four true seasons. Hot summers and cold winters.
2 hours ago, Steve Murr said:

The GFS appears cleaner & less progressive-

The ECM brings in the wave from the east at about 144 then lifts it out N.west towards Iceland at 168- all other models hold that wave in situ over the UK 

so as it stands ECM is the outlier...

But with the ECM as outlier, surely this is all the more reason to keep our powder dry?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

So confusing some say Ukmo moves towards the ecm. Gfs has stonking cold run incoming. Ecm will climb down later towards the gfs. Not surprised some of us get confused. 

• Like 7