Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - The Hunt For Cold

Paul
Message added by Paul

If you're hunting for cold potential in the model output, this thread is for you. But if you'd like to look more widely at the models, please head over to the general model discussion thread.

Posted
5 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Its only out to 222 isnt it?  useful shortwave track anyway.

Low res begins @ T192 ?? 

Or was it upgraded to T240??

i lose track sometimes ......

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

GFS sending that high further west than previous runs which swings us around to more of a north to north easterly eventually

gfsnh-0-300.thumb.png.a0cb0cc2c8bf550f70f951502a620994.pnggfsnh-1-300.thumb.png.99f2c5931edd7d43df900d5abcfd3501.png

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Snow building up rapidly for mainland and northeastern Europe. Some for the usual places in the UK ie pennines and Scotland

gfsnh-0-324.thumb.png.6b5b6658708066f24e48bc0d7713d99a.pnggfsnh-16-324.thumb.png.bc5bcde95164bd67c13cbcc77244f94d.png

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,
1 minute ago, ITSY said:

Three things to say: 

1. You're right, amazing chart. 

2. Tamara is one of our most well respected and knowledgeable posters, so I don't think we should Swearing AGAIN take 

3. Usually with UK weather, if something can go wrong it will go wrong so, I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say, no jinxing is allowed here. EVER. 

It was a joke, mate..

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Stick to discussing the models please folks. It is only going to get busier if things develop further, so let's make it easier for everyone!

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

front tries to come in at the end of the run Netweather GFS Image....... BOOM almost countrywide snow Netweather GFS Image Netweather GFS Image some changes from run to run (as to be expected) but none are falling into the mild / zonal category. :cold:

Edited by Kirkcaldy Weather
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted

I be honest i didnt expect that much of an improvement on the ukmo!need that cold pool on the gfs 12z at 120 hours to push further west on the next run if you are looking for an intial cold blast from the east!!

• Like 2

Posted
24 minutes ago, BLAST FROM THE PAST said:

Yes the 0z was a binner this looks more like it.   The cold wall coming from the East on 12z GFS has expanded....bring it on....let’s release those shackles! 

This IS  #The winterofdisontent Coming to town to start with.  MetO and professionals will hold back, maybe they have to......but they will soon have to warn of wintry confitions not experienced for a long long time.  

BFTP 

We had extreme winter conditions Feb/March this year and also the winters of 2009/10 and 2010/11, surely we can't exceed those spells? It seems like the frequency of severe spells in winter is increasing.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Will that HP, away to the southwest, build northeast through the BIs, or will it presage a return to milder westerlies? Then again, will it even exist?

Netweather GFS Image

• Like 1

Guest Delete Me

12z showing snow for the SE / E / NE and Scotland at +276 and then at +372 the entire country north of the Bristol channel covered from what looks like a northerly!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
33 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Low res begins @ T192 ?? 

Or was it upgraded to T240??

i lose track sometimes ......

Updated now to 240.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

The mean has stronger heights going up towards Greenland/Iceland compared with the 06z, I bet there's some incredible runs in there somewhere!

1613462821_GFSMEAN.thumb.png.5aa0c510d14d1835525f881faa4f0b67.png

Just to ground us back to reality. There's still nothing to suggest widespread, significant snowfall at the moment, it'll turn colder sure, but it'll be surface cold for the most part from the initial Easterly, it's only really in the outter reliable that things start to get interesting! Though, I suspect that will slowly make its way out of fantasy land..

• Like 8