Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - The Hunt For Cold

Paul
Message added by Paul

If you're hunting for cold potential in the model output, this thread is for you. But if you'd like to look more widely at the models, please head over to the general model discussion thread.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow
7 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Found this from the ECM seasonal for winter

download.thumb.png.456ed7d15f1974c8c9faf76e4aac60c6.png

Source: https://twitter.com/CopernicusECMWF/status/1062678724615774209

I’m guessing that chart suggests temperatures over the U.K would be around average with the lack of positive and negative temperature anomalies over that area. Just the fact it has the whole U.K covered in white. (Or us being buried in snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
2 minutes ago, DiagonalRedLine said:

I’m guessing that chart suggests temperatures over the U.K would be around average with the lack of positive and negative temperature anomalies over that area. Just the fact it has the whole U.K covered in white. (Or us being buried in snow

Unfortunately not - it has us being buried in no strong signal for below or above temperatures.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow
5 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

a three month seasonal mean chart is quite useless at the best of times ……….. one which takes several seasonal  models into account is in the realms of chocolate fireguards …...

Yeah, guess that’s true lol!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall
7 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

a three month seasonal mean chart is quite useless at the best of times ……….. one which takes several seasonal  models into account is in the realms of chocolate fireguards …...

Indeed so Blue. We could have a month long cold and snowy spell which would keep us all happy on here and still end up with seasonal chart like that.  

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
10 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Not only that, Blue: an 'average' month (temperature wise) could be made up of two weeks' -12C uppers, and a fortnight dominated by uppers of +10...and, given the current propensity for meridional flow, such a scenario mightn't be entirely out of the question...?

• Like 3

Posted
4 minutes ago, Broadmayne blizzard said:

Indeed so Blue. We could have a month long cold and snowy spell which would keep us all happy on here and still end up with seasonal chart like that.  

We could have two if month three was very warm ...... even the months broken down can be misleading if one model sees a cold month when another sees warm ...

• Like 1

Posted

Two things to take from that chart are

1) warm eastern med indicates plenty of central med low pressure systems over the period 

2) warmth to our north possibly reflects where upper ridges look to become centred - but then why no cool anomaly over ne Europe ???

nah - still don’t see the point !

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
2 hours ago, Quicksilver1989 said:

I think they were comparing next weeks large Scandi high to the beast and explaining the lack of really cold uppers. Anyway not to worry its the retrogression to Greenland we need to keep an eye on  

That makes more sense as the air initially isn’t beast from east source, cheers.  Retrogression possibly likely to be slower and it may take until turn of month before we get a stable GHP set up....but as long as we head towards sustainable cold pattern...but I’m very happy with how developments are coming along....

BFTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall

We await the 12z GFS with interest. Will it be an upgrade on yesterday's. Lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow freezing rain heat waves

I’m struck by gfs as we are mainly east north easterly from 102 hours right to end of run very unusual as we are normally being batted from the west .

AD3AEE8F-B051-415C-A6BF-1B52A6B6A6C6.png

• Like 3

Posted
8 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

Hi Mate here is my take inlne with my NH thread & my opinion of what 'usually happens....

I certainly expected this to be occuring right now - forecast for 2nd week of Nov was for record breaking high pressures beginning to retrograde towards High Lattitudes ( see NH thead )

As for actual evolution-  Even though the run ups are messy there are in my eyes 2 very clear trends

- When we throw messy 'light' ridges to greenland or Scandi despite the initial prognosis by the models we always seem to downgrade nearer the time with borderline scenarios- ( occasional transitory snow & cold )

- Also vice versa - The few times we have thrown genuine blocking highs into Greenland & Scandi the resultant model outputs have all converged to a clean cold scenario with relative upgrades felt along the way- ( Normally removing the messy obsticles )

In this current outlook I expect the latter to be the form horse- I see no reason to suggest these are temporary blocks as the initial set up has a HP circa 588 Thickness indicating a substantial high pressures ( towards record strength ) & the iceland > GH progression is natural-

I therefor forecast that its a repeat of 2010 ( which I have maintained for 2-3 days & also indicated in the NH thread in October )

This will hopefully knock the stratosphere for December...

4 week CET from Mid Nov - Mid Dec could be below 2c...

S

Hi Steve

Apologies but where is this NH Thread????

Posted
3 hours ago, Ed Stone said:

Aye; I'd be surprised to see -16C uppers, this early in the season, anyhow...but a lot of folks automatically think Siberia (with added misdirection from the tabloid press?) whenever the wind comes in from the east?

Maybe the Met are just trying to inject a little calm into proceedings?

Yes thats what they are doing.  

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Just Model Discussion please, Thanks.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and hot, sunny summers!
8 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Looking at the latest icon and eps from earlier. - when was the last time we saw a sustained cut off upper ridge centred between Iceland and Scandi ????

GFS Archive Image

The classic period of March-April 2013?

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

What a fabulous example of warm air advection this is - all the way from the Azores to the Arctic Circle!

Netweather GFS Image

• Like 4