Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - The Hunt For Cold

Paul
Message added by Paul

If you're hunting for cold potential in the model output, this thread is for you. But if you'd like to look more widely at the models, please head over to the general model discussion thread.

Posted

Looks similar to UKMO at 144  with merging of the two lows. I guess we will get an idea of what will happen in this scenario.

ECM1-144.thumb.gif.f11d9dde96ce25c69bb21136331962f1.gifUW144-21.thumb.gif.92f2e64f597baa69a7d57d3b676d3a60.gif

Compared to GFS

gfs-0-144.thumb.png.66ac966eca8aacdcee70ef36623fd8ee.png

Edited by swilliam
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

A rotanial west arching hp-cell on the ecm 12z so far...

She'll make aim 2 greenland nonetheless!!...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms
1 hour ago, Man With Beard said:

This is absolutely bonkers. Purple colors (PV equivalent) incoming from the NE, uppers widely minus 10 in the north - no "will it or won't it" on this GFS, most of the UK would go white on this run, and northern and Eastern areas would need digging out! 

We saw over 2ft of snow here in Dronfield Derbyshire in 2010 looking at that chart which is the kind of chart i have not seen since then we could need digging out again my car was buried for over a week i couldn't get anywhere.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days
3 minutes ago, tomjwlx said:

This low is the one to keep an eye on future runs which will determine how much retrogression we get!

Capture.PNG

The southern tip greenland features..

Morphing down through the azores..into iberia have always been the feature points...

But as other have flagged...everything looks nicely placed for retrogression..just time placements for decipher imo !!!

Edited by tight isobar
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

Must admit, living in the south, I really like the JMA at T192:

image.thumb.jpg.74ad00b15c0919f5282b8cab8131e7ed.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.6002c751467031f47c295ab78a4858cd.jpg

As a more general comment, I still think the main interest is setting up a position for in 2-3 weeks time, to get a real snow event sooner would require a lot of luck with small cold pools direct hitting, wherever in the UK, apart from higher ground.  Still, I wouldn't rule it out!

Edit. Worth also posting the jet stream from this run, you can see the issue with the northern and southern arms.

image.thumb.jpg.d4dfb1ebcfd4a4618bc9fceccff84074.jpg

Edited by Mike Poole
  • Like 6

Posted

I agree that things look prime for retrogression but would like to see the separation of the two lows on the initial attempt as it clears the energy from Greenland a lot quicker allowing heights to build in and not slump SE into Europe as the GFS showed earlier.

Otherwise you end up with the charts more akin to the ECM, GEM and presumably the UKMO if it went on a little further.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

The ECM merges the lows and as a result, there's not enough energy digging Southwards underneath the block so the high doesn't retrogress and we're sat in no mans land until eventually the block collapses into Europe

ECM.thumb.gif.0d082f7beb383afcfa8944376528448d.gif

Not the best run, though perhaps a welcomed reality check after the GFS this afternoon!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, WalsallWeather123 said:

You can tell the ECM isn't great just by the lack of comments on the T192 and T216 lol

Nothing not to like on EC from were i'm sat so not sure what you are getting at here?

• Like 8

Posted

GFS 12z was exceptional, ECM gives us a reality check although i'm still loving the possibilities going forward its still a decent run and I can't wait to see what the GFS 18Z shows! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the weather extremes in general but my favourites are snow & thunderstorms

Why are some so obsessed in every single run and model? They are not all going to be the same for stuff a week away or longer lol. Come on man get a grip.

the route is going colder they all say the same that’s the important part at this point

• Like 9

Posted
1 minute ago, northwestsnow said:

Nothing not to like on EC from were i'm sat so not sure what you are getting at here?

indeed  not the same as the gfs  and off course not as cold  however its still non to shabby  another scenario that has yet to have been played out.  lets see were it sits 

• Like 3

Posted

That’s always been the “fun” in winter model watching , how the NWP deal with the spilt energy coming off the CONUS has always led to Stella runs followed by downgrades only to revert to a half way house.  How the models deal with the energy split is incredibly difficult although the general pattern may be alluded too

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder , Lightning , Snow , Blizzards
3 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Exactly , at this stage of November we are in a position to talk ‘downgrades’ with potential cold output 

Usually we are picking the crumbs off the floor from the upgrade table ! 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, markw2680 said:

Why are some so obsessed in every single run and model? They are not all going to be the same for stuff a week away or longer lol. Come on man get a grip.

the route is going colder they all say the same that’s the important part at this point

But when it shows cold its ok to be obsessed with single run? The bias is ridiculous. 

• Like 1