Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - The Hunt For Cold

Paul
Message added by Paul

If you're hunting for cold potential in the model output, this thread is for you. But if you'd like to look more widely at the models, please head over to the general model discussion thread.

Posted

And on another positive note just checked the 12z ukmo 144 hour chart from yesterday and compared it to todays and theres an upgrade there aswell!!scandi high further west and no more sagging of the high towards the mediteranean today and cold air coming in from the east right around the perfectly rounded scandi high!!just brilliant!!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

Just to ground is back into reality for a moment, the ICON isn't amazing

ICON.thumb.png.01adfd64bd9022f6d1d1739a2da78c10.png

Far too much energy around Southern Greenland/more of a Scandi/Euro high as opposed to a Scandi High as seen on the GFS.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

According to the long term CFS, after a colder than average December, Jan & Feb is average followed once again by a very cold March, personally I'd have liked to have seen that in Jan/first half of Feb as the days would still be quite short with a weak sun and cold sea temperatures giving southern & western coasts some snow too and not just the cold old rain/sleet but having said that, March delivered for us this year in South Wales, it was so unusual battling through blizzards during St Davids day celebrations 

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Edited by Jonathan Rhodri Roberts
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
1 hour ago, Nick L said:

Folks, I know we're taking a bit more of a laid back stance in this thread but a lot of posts at the moment really add nothing to the thread. I feel like we repeat this every winter, but posts like "eyes down, here comes the 12z" and just posting charts with no comment other than "120h GFS" aren't exactly the kind of posts we want to encourage. Please add some substance to your posts or we're going to have to start being more strict in cleaning up nothing posts.

Explanations are posted of upload failure...Nick

FTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST

Posted
9 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

Well.. the vortex has gone to sleep for probably a good 2-3 weeks should the 12z come off as is

Vortx.thumb.png.75d4ad182eee79a2a9e8a4d15c3ac377.png

I think this run even beats "that ECM" from 2012. Very unlikely at this stage to actually come off, of course - But I certainly doubt it's without ensemble support.

It really doesn’t - we have very short memories - go and check the runs at the back end of Feb this year ..........

It is a beautiful sypnotic run re height rises and deep troughs and obliteration of the trop vortex but given the time of year, the uppers etc aren’t quite delivering away from the coasts and northern hills 

Where it takes us to is another matter ...

Edited by bluearmy
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

Just to ground is back into reality for a moment, the ICON isn't amazing

ICON.thumb.png.01adfd64bd9022f6d1d1739a2da78c10.png

Far too much energy around Southern Greenland/more of a Scandi/Euro high as opposed to a Scandi High as seen on the GFS.

Its all to do with the merging of the low around southern Greenland. The GFS doesn't merge it and therefore it allows the high to drift towards Greenland . BOTH UKMO and GEM merge the lows .

See below.

GFS.thumb.png.749dfb90fd6ae0c9115c6b65542d39f6.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
3 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Still prefer the griceland option 

mind you, the hemispheric end to that run is incredible 

Griceland gives less chance of the wishbone effect, but then again your best chance could be with a channel runner, which can happen with either.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold
3 hours ago, terrier said:

Well this model output at the moment should come with a government health warning. As my parents used to say to me. If something is too true to be believed then it probably is. Think I will remain on the fence for a few more days yet. 

Just make sure you've got good warm mittens and hat on, while you sit on that fence - it could end up quite chilly, from all I can see!

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, ALL ABOARD said:

Its all to do with the merging of the low around southern Greenland. The GFS doesn't merge it and therefore it allows the high to drift towards Greenland . BOTH UKMO and GEM merge the lows .

See below.

Yes but I believe all models will get there a couple days after with the Azores high linking up control run shows my thoughts well.

Screenshot_20181113-171505_Chrome.jpg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers
3 minutes ago, ALL ABOARD said:

See below.

Yup this merging of the low is what we need to avoid. Send it south to the Azores and we are in for retrogression of the high to Greenland. It could still go wrong but the 12z GFS was spectacular. 

From the ens so far those that don't merge the low ~ T120 and those that do (what we want to avoid) are as follows.

No merging: 50%

Merging low: 50% (22 runs)

So its on a knifes edge. I'm keeping cautious because I remember last year in early December we were forecast to have a stonking Greenland high but it didn't materialise...

Lets keep our feet on the ground

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

End of the run not so spectacular as yesterday's pub run. That said the cold does come in much earlier, at Day 10! Still, with all that cold air around and a meridional-type flow (and the jet a long way south) the only way seems to be cold? Get the cold in first. Build it, they will come!:cold:⛷️

Netweather GFS Image

• Like 3

Posted
36 minutes ago, Day 10 said:

First post of the season, and what a time to join the party!

Day 10 is loving Day 10!

What a chart! Is 2010 about to be trumped!

gfsnh-0-240.thumb.png.2626e0a51ab39cbe644e88004255134c.png

Oh my goodness. That’s an astonishing chart should it come off. Incredible run 

• Like 2

Posted
6 minutes ago, booferking said:

Yes but I believe all models will get there a couple days after with the Azores high linking up control run shows my thoughts well.

Screenshot_20181113-171505_Chrome.jpg

Im not disagreeing but the it tends to mean that to much energy is left for the high to retrogress easier, Id much rather a smooth sailing over the initial hurdle as we all know that one spoiler leads to another and another fingers crossed this time that all roads lead to rome.

As

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

I know this is called "the hunt for cold" but has anybody actually seen any?

gens-6-1-264.png

• Like 2

Posted

I dont think the UKMO would be that great beyond t144. As mentioned already GFS has those lows splitting in the Atlantic which allows another Atlantic high to build, and this acts as a guide for the Scandi High to migrate to Greenland. D6-8 is the one to watch, need to see those lows split.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers
6 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Even if the lows don't split, the prognosis still looks highly amplified...which you can't always fall back on in these situations. 

It just feels like the destination is set, regardless of how many hurdles present themselves. Not often you get that impression.

We shall see, for what its worth I agree. If the low doesn't split things can still work out further down the line there would be more chance for things to go wrong

Anyways just pointing out the key player for newbies on here :). P16 is an example of where it all goes Pete Tong. Fingers crossed we succeed where early December last year didn't.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

UKMO and GFS getting closer at t144 just that low in the Atlantic they don't quite agree on

UW144-21.thumb.gif.a374264d3dd12175d1857a244eb85fcd.gifgfs-0-144.thumb.png.5442588091985c509a9bab48fcb923e6.png

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and hot, sunny summers!
1 hour ago, weatherguy said:

gfsnh-0-186.png?12

By 186 we see some lovely WAA heading up to greenland...hopefully this leads to some retrogression of the HP and that siberian PV lobe drops in behind.

Well well well...No hopefully needed there - the 12z GFS goes on to be a thing of immaculate beauty!  Brings back memories of "that ECM" a few years back with an incredible long-fetch north easterly! 

Posted
Just now, Quicksilver1989 said:

We shall see, for what its worth I agree. If the low doesn't split things can still work out further down the line there would be more chance for things to go wrong

Anyways just pointing out the key player for newbies on here :). P16 is an example of where it all goes Pete Tong. Fingers crossed we succeed where early December last year didn't.

Equally th GEFS control is an example of what can happen where the lows don’t fully split but the second and third and fourth bites at the cherry do the job so we wind up in the same place, just a week later. I’d take that. 

• Like 2