Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - The Hunt For Cold

Paul
Message added by Paul

If you're hunting for cold potential in the model output, this thread is for you. But if you'd like to look more widely at the models, please head over to the general model discussion thread.

Posted
10 hours ago, Man With Beard said:

Needing a even bigger upgrade to see a proper snow event - not impossible but a bit of an ask. 

Upgrade delivered on 00Z ECM, but still no whiteout - Much larger areas of the UK now not getting above 4C by next Wednesday, and a rain/snow mix at times even at lower levels for some (not all) 

But the next stage at T240 looks even tastier! 

Edited by Man With Beard
  • Like 7

Posted
5 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

Some snow as early as this time next week on ECM !

AF9D4D2C-F720-41B7-AFDB-8A888E78039D.jpeg

Caution urged! These snow charts last year seemed to pick up on way more than what actually fell from the sky. Much more reliable in weather.us to check out the "significant weather" charts, doesn't give totals but proved a much more reliable indicator of whether snow is actually likely - and at the moment they say possible but probably not of the laying sort. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Posted

that ec op showing why, especially with high sst’s around at this time of year, a griceland or Iceland block is more likely to bring winter than a greeny block ...... we can wait for the greeny block until once the cold and snow has arrived .......

• Like 6

G'day all and how nice to be back for the winter sesh. 

I say! This reminds me a little of November 1985. We had a glorious Indian summer and then, wham, a Beast from the East hit the UK during November, presaging a bitterly cold second half of winter: February 1986 remains the coldest month I can ever recall: the CET was -1.1C.

1574253390_ScreenShot2018-11-13at07_21_59.thumb.png.aa1870077477c30a7730c124ccbb5cac.png

Anyway, we are a long way from such things but this could be a distinctly bitter spell.

Edited by West is Best
  • Like 7

Posted

Met check obviously thinks we're in for something special and into december too :cold-emoji:  (yes I know lol!)

cold.png

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the weather extremes in general but my favourites are snow & thunderstorms

Well this is very good news as normally the next day there’s usually some kind of downgrade (hate that word) I’m a firm believer of getting it cold first before looking for snow etc, at least when it’s cold there’s a decent chance. Just hope the really good charts that tend to be around day 10 count down to 7 and 5 and so on.

anyway bring on winter 2018/19

• Like 9

12 minutes ago, cyclonic happiness said:

Met check obviously thinks we're in for something special and into december too   (yes I know lol!)

cold.png

Morning guys been lurking on here for years but never post I can’t believe what I’m seeing at the moment can it be true ? Think the mo will be changing there forecast soon 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun in summer, snow in winter, wind in Autumn and rainbows in the spring!

The GFS 0z is beginning to sniff something very special towards the end of the runs.  Interesting times ahead for December.  

• Like 1

Posted
21 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

Caution urged! These snow charts last year seemed to pick up on way more than what actually fell from the sky. Much more reliable in weather.us to check out the "significant weather" charts, doesn't give totals but proved a much more reliable indicator of whether snow is actually likely - and at the moment they say possible but probably not of the laying sort. 

Yes, I’ve said before that these charts indicate the amount of snow that falls and then accumulated everything. So In marginal situations the depth is very inaccurate. Over the last few years I’ve found it fairly accurate (when used at short range) at forecasting snow fall. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder , Lightning , Snow , Blizzards

If the models keep going which such signals then I’ll have to bring back @Bring Back1962-63 , to give us some tips on how to survive such a winter akin to his profile name  

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

London 00z ECM ens also shows the pressure to be much higher than shown on the op

Whilst the op has pressure at around 1005mb the ens has it much higher at around 1018mb

1296990989_graphe_ens3(1).thumb.png.f0b6a665976ab50113d4a5284c476d5c.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW AND FREEZING TEMPS
11 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

00z ECM 850's on the London op peak with a low of -6 on the 20th whilst the ens stays a bit 'higher' at around -2

graphe_ens3.png

6 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

London 00z ECM ens also shows the pressure to be much higher than shown on the op

Whilst the op has pressure at around 1005mb the ens has it much higher at around 1018mb

1296990989_graphe_ens3(1).thumb.png.f0b6a665976ab50113d4a5284c476d5c.png

I remember you posting these charts before the beast in feb/mar and it took a while for the ens to catch up and spot the cold spell . Are the ops leading the way again ? 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
2 minutes ago, ICE COLD said:

I remember you posting these charts before the beast in feb/mar and it took a while for the ens to catch up and spot the cold spell . Are the ops leading the way again ? 

Another few runs like this morning's ECM op and you'd have to favour that. Over to the 12z now to see if it maintains it or not

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
Just now, Nick L said:

Ah it's that time of year to say this until I'm blue in the face...Those "EC snow charts" are in no way representative of what the EC is actually showing. Temps and dew points both above freezing on that timeframe, it would be a load of cold rain. Whoever came up with the algorithm for those charts was clearly hunting for clicks, they were atrocious last winter.

I partly agree (see above) but for snow “falling” I found it fairly accurate last season and the season before.  With uppers of -6 and a dry cold easterly feed from the continent with a dew point 0 - 1c I don’t see an issue with wet snow falling 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, Heat, Thunderstorms
2 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Ah it's that time of year to say this until I'm blue in the face...Those "EC snow charts" are in no way representative of what the EC is actually showing. Temps and dew points both above freezing on that timeframe, it would be a load of cold rain. Whoever came up with the algorithm for those charts was clearly hunting for clicks, they were atrocious last winter.

Perhaps for the UK, yes, but to be fair they were extremely accurate for snow predictions here in Oslo.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
2 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

I partly agree (see above) but for snow “falling” I found it fairly accurate last season and the season before.  With uppers of -6 and a dry cold easterly feed from the continent with a dew point 0 - 1c I don’t see an issue with wet snow falling 

But the chart says "snow depth", if it was "snow falling" then fair enough! 

• Like 5

Posted
3 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

Yeh i really should not see an issue with snow FALLING especially with winds coming in from a cold continent and therefore dew points a lot lower!!settling however is a different matter!!

• Like 4