Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - The Hunt For Cold

Paul
Message added by Paul

If you're hunting for cold potential in the model output, this thread is for you. But if you'd like to look more widely at the models, please head over to the general model discussion thread.

Posted

So Nice to approaching winter with some decent looking cold weather sypnotics on the horizon.Usually its a raging Atlantic with low pressure over iceland and high pressure to the South.

That SSW at end of Feb has really changed the weather this year we seem to have gone Continental.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

Looks great, but it is still in mid-range / FI. How often have we seen a shortwave pop up once we get to the higher resolution timeframes and scupper our chances. 

This does have a whiff of 2010 though, the models locked on the target and never really deviated. 

• Like 1

Posted

So does this mean we could be cold by the weekend, but initially under an inversion?

I need to know this so we can winterise the nursery and garden centre, to stop the pipes from freezing :cold-emoji:

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
8 hours ago, Mr Brown said:

I know it may be early to ask but, what is your forecast for the month of December as a whole? 

Not at all, cold start to winter, snow early on and Very notable period over Xmas.

The hint has been coming but this morning the models are doing something in the nigh on reliable (T120) and balloooning that HP up over Scandi to then bring an easterly flow.  This is looking good....but we just need T72 now

BFTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the weather extremes in general but my favourites are snow & thunderstorms

With all these lovely charts starting to appear for the end of the month I have to ask where is nick Sussex? Although I’m hoping for no shortwave dramas this time around.

in all seriousness I like reading his posts so would be a great comeback mate

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
1 hour ago, northwestsnow said:

Who would have dreamt it? The hunt for cold is ON!!

Lovely GFS00z with northern blocking galore!!!

Scandy high in all its glory this morning ..:-)

RJS, Steve Murr, I think I had an hallucination too at some point.  Just want it t72 now

BFTP

• Like 8

Posted

A huge block is good for dry weather but unless it migrated North enough to pick up a colder Easterly feed from Scandy or Siberia nothing much snow or freeze wise with materialise this early in the year. Scandy isn’t that cold just yet so we’d need a long Easterly feed, which actually looks possible with the latest charts.

Whats is nice to see is the lack of any PV building up, if that stays at bay any HP has a better chance of getting in the right place, and we know late Nov can deliver severe winter weather if all falls into place.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

We should begin to see increasing amounts of frost and fog in the coming days as high pressure begins to dominate 

ECMOPEU00_72_2.thumb.png.8a2b821b5ef60a31bb4f68cbe8627bfb.pngECMOPEU00_120_2.thumb.png.d4b013ecfd57becca8e7388d7499aba3.png

ECMOPEU00_168_2.thumb.png.932829709d344c5002acc936ff591fde.pngECMOPEU00_216_2.thumb.png.85e6f6aa2ee130421fabeaa3f9eca16d.png

ECMOPEU00_240_2.thumb.png.9a7a5583bda0ef8eb3b87029acbe350f.png

Where cloud and or fog lingers it will be feeling rather chilly

• Like 7

Posted
7 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

We should begin to see increasing amounts of frost and fog in the coming days as high pressure begins to dominate 

ECMOPEU00_72_2.thumb.png.8a2b821b5ef60a31bb4f68cbe8627bfb.pngECMOPEU00_120_2.thumb.png.d4b013ecfd57becca8e7388d7499aba3.png

ECMOPEU00_168_2.thumb.png.932829709d344c5002acc936ff591fde.pngECMOPEU00_216_2.thumb.png.85e6f6aa2ee130421fabeaa3f9eca16d.png

Could you post the gfs upper temps for same time please!!am sure they are a lot colder at that level!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
2 minutes ago, shaky said:

Could you post the gfs upper temps for same time please!!am sure they are a lot colder at that level!!

Initially, they're not overly low at face value again frost and fog would make it cooler

GFSOPEU00_147_2.thumb.png.c0962c38b47630d17b293e93339058e6.png

later they go colder as GFS has an easterly feed whereas ECM is more SE'ly

GFSOPEU00_219_2.thumb.png.e1917003b2c64c0aed187a18f853727d.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW AND FREEZING TEMPS

GEFS 00z ensembles are looking very nice again this morning. Snow row on the up . 

IMG_2815.PNG

• Like 5

Posted
35 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

I don't think frost will be an issue at this moment in time in all honesty, with such high upper air temps dewpoints are not going to be all that low and the models are hinting the winds will pick up during the weekend so whilst the dewpoints will lower somewhat with stronger winds then fog might not be an issue either. Also as winds swich more to a SE'ly, drier air may prohibit fog formation anyways.

Some really impressive thicknesses showing on the ECM model which indicates a very strong block but would prefer if it was further Northwards and Westwards in an indeal world.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold
7 minutes ago, Geordiesnow said:

I don't think frost will be an issue at this moment in time in all honesty, with such high upper air temps dewpoints are not going to be all that low and the models are hinting the winds will pick up during the weekend so whilst the dewpoints will lower somewhat with stronger winds then fog might not be an issue either. Also as winds swich more to a SE'ly, drier air may prohibit fog formation anyways.

Some really impressive thicknesses showing on the ECM model which indicates a very strong block but would prefer if it was further Northwards and Westwards in an indeal world.

Yes, just hope the ECM op is one of the warmer members in its ensembles suite.

Edited by prolongedSnowLover

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Just so as to prove that I'm not entirely living in the 1960s, here's the latest GFS T+384 operational:

Netweather GFS Image

Just a hint of a straight northerly, should the HP shift into the Atlantic, so a massive European cool-down is looking ever more 'certain'...:cold::yahoo:

• Like 9