Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - The Hunt For Cold

Paul
Message added by Paul

If you're hunting for cold potential in the model output, this thread is for you. But if you'd like to look more widely at the models, please head over to the general model discussion thread.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Clusters very decent at T300,  the second 2 (total  around 45%) build tremendous heights to the NE / N respectively.

ec-ens_nat_z500scenarios_2018111000_300.png

All goes downhill after that though.

ec-ens_nat_z500scenarios_2018111000_360.png

Edited by feb1991blizzard
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, More Snow said:

Is that what we would call a cross polar flow ?

Almost! It’s a long way back to zonal from there!

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, blizzard81 said:

You can always rely on the gfs 06z lol

hopefully for accuracy as well just for once - please.

• Like 1

Posted

To sum up - i think we are pretty sure now of this being the pattern a t around D10.

gensnh-21-1-228_wyy7.png

Its where we go afterwards, can we get a retrogression (GFS 6z op) or some sort of undercut maintaining the pattern somehow, in my mind its about 75-25 against a proper Northern block with deep cold arriving at our shores -  CAVEAT - im only talking up to around half way into Week 3 though, not saying we are going to have a rampant zonal pattern setting up and ruining December.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers
8 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

To sum up - i think we are pretty sure now of this being the pattern a t around D10.

gensnh-21-1-228_wyy7.png

Its where we go afterwards, can we get a retrogression (GFS 6z op) or some sort of undercut maintaining the pattern somehow, in my mind its about 75-25 against a proper Northern block with deep cold arriving at our shores -  CAVEAT - im only talking up to around half way into Week 3 though, not saying we are going to have a rampant zonal pattern setting up and ruining December.

Yes and a quite eye catching run from the GFS 06z. Just look at the NH view by the end!

GFSOPNH06_384_1.png WAA to this degree would have a long lasting impact you would think

I do believe that the Scandi high is the more likely option, even the 00z ensemble suite contained plenty of them. Also to note is that almost all ensemble members have below average SLP over the Azores region. Good signs IMO.

Though November has been mild so far, it has been anything but zonal with the jet being remarkably quiet with low pressure systems getting stuck in the same places for extended periods of time. Just so happens that the UK in the last week has been in the wrong place! and the US in the right place (again)....

Anyhow here are some highlights from the 06z ensembles:

GFSP07EU06_300_1.png GFSP08EU06_246_1.png GFSP11EU06_300_1.png GFSP15EU06_264_1.png GFSP16EU06_270_1.png GFSP17EU06_354_1.png GFSP18EU06_300_1.png GFSP20EU06_294_1.png

Not all of these are cold but they have potential further down the line. ECM doesn't look too bad either if the low can go underneath the block

ECMOPEU00_240_1.png

Overall my hunch is that there will be a very mild week coming up but settling down towards the end of it and a more anticyclonic second half of November coming up, can we get an early taste of winter or will it remain mild?

• Like 4

Posted

^^

Yes noticed that, i do actually think that if we were to achieve conducive Northern blocking within the next 30 days, looks like me it will come to the North, you can see it on the GEFS D16 ensemble mean.

• Like 1

Posted

I don’t know if i’m keen on wonderful cold synoptics in November.I have seen it before and the following winters have been pretty average at best.Not all of them of course ,would have to check the archives to see what November was like preceding bitterly cold winters or spells of bitter weather in the winter months

Much prefer seeing it towards end of Dec,to give ourselves a   good chance of a decent cold spell in January 2019.

It been a while January,just saying......

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
4 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

I don’t know if i’m keen on wonderful cold synoptics in November.I have seen it before and the following winters have been pretty average at best.Not all of them of course ,would have to check the archives to see what November was like preceding bitterly cold winters or spells of bitter weather in the winter months

Much prefer seeing it towards end of Dec,to give ourselves a   good chance of a decent cold spell in January 2019.

TBH Sleety, I can't find any evidence that warm, cold or indifferent Octobers/Novembers have the slightest impact on the following winters...Not saying that that's the case globally, just that NH weather patterns might not be too dependent on what this wee pinprick of an island experiences, through October and November...?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
28 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

In a way I agree...but that agreement refers to having cold blocking right now onwards.  Setups like that with super early nirvana Synoptics tend to extend into December but quickly run out of steam.  Blue makes a good point, in situations like this we keep going with waves pumping into polar field and a quick switch can and does happen, and the pattern can lead to prolonged cold reloading set up with a buckled meridional jet and northern blocking...so even with zonal attacks they become blips in the rhythm and the theme remains on the cold side.

Anyway 06z keeps the hunt for cold very targeted and others not without interest either

BFTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Always think when the Atlantic is at it's most bullish is late Dec to late Jan, as you say Damian atlantic can be quiet late Nov

Posted

In recent years it has certainly been the case that our most unsettled weather has tended to occur from late Dec and through January. However, by then in theory high pressure over the continent or to the north should have a greater potency about it in terms of embedded dense cold air pooling and therefore probability of beating the atlantic increases markedly, whereas in late Nov/early Dec such dense cold air pooling is less likely and the atlantic has an easier time of fighting off high pressure.

Posted
1 hour ago, feb1991blizzard said:

gensnh-21-1-228_wyy7.png

For winter in November, this is a pretty good starting point - at least it gives us a chance. 

I feel November is a good opportunity to get something out of a Scandi High before the PV cranks up, though it does need to be a perfect set-up for this high to bring wintry conditions at this time of year. 

But every recent year where we've seen a Scandi High in November, we've not seen one again until late January at the earliest. Make the most of it! 

• Like 4

Posted
4 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

For winter in November, this is a pretty good starting point - at least it gives us a chance. 

I feel November is a good opportunity to get something out of a Scandi High before the PV cranks up, though it does need to be a perfect set-up for this high to bring wintry conditions at this time of year. 

But every recent year where we've seen a Scandi High in November, we've not seen one again until late January at the earliest. Make the most of it! 

And to add to that, the ones that we have seen in Nov, usually hasnt had any cold uppers so has delivered Nothing.

Edited by feb1991blizzard

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
9 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

Fine with that, as long as it's a Greenland HP as the alternative.

Edited by CreweCold
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
40 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

In recent years it has certainly been the case that our most unsettled weather has tended to occur from late Dec and through January. However, by then in theory high pressure over the continent or to the north should have a greater potency about it in terms of embedded dense cold air pooling and therefore probability of beating the atlantic increases markedly, whereas in late Nov/early Dec such dense cold air pooling is less likely and the atlantic has an easier time of fighting off high pressure.

Is that a trend, damianslaw, or is it down to 'random' fluctuation? 1962, '68, 69 and '70 all had cold and snow, at some time, during the period spanning late December to early January...At the time, I thought I'd found a trend. Now though, I can see that I hadn't.

Posted
38 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Thats common anyway and happens even more when at solar maximum and declining from solar maximum, as seen in 4 of the last 5 winters. We are pretty much at solar minimum now, solar flux has been at background or close to background levels so hopefully we should be seeing more winters where the Atlantic isnt completely dominant in early winter. We saw a bit of that last winter. As for the cold in November argument, we are at least 2 weeks away from seeing a potential cold block. That brings us into the end of November and by then if you get a cold block in place it will defiitely be cold enough for low level snow. I have no problem with us getting these synoptics now. Im just happy the cold block didnt happen in October/early November as that definitely would have been a waste.

• Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, feb1991blizzard said:

And to add to that, the ones that we have seen in Nov, usually hasnt had any cold uppers so has delivered Nothing.

Yes the idea of Scandi High bringing cold weather in November is a theoretical one - bit like the "beast from the east" which had lived in the "theoretical" box since 1991 until earlier this year - it is easy to see how it could work for cold, but because everything has to work right, it's not seen often. 

Basically, we're looking for some sort of cold pool to get in underneath the Scandi High shortly after 20th November (many runs are showing this), then drift slowly towards the UK over the course of a few days giving it time to cool over the continent (some runs are showing this), and then phase with a disrupted front from the Atlantic with the UK on the north side (not easy to achieve perfectly), perhaps around 23rd/24th.

No reason why it couldn't happen... but all steps need to be followed fairly optimally, or there's still enough mild air at this time of year to reduce its potency. In recent years, we've got very close but not quite. 

Edited by Man With Beard
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1