Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - The Hunt For Cold

Paul
Message added by Paul

If you're hunting for cold potential in the model output, this thread is for you. But if you'd like to look more widely at the models, please head over to the general model discussion thread.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
1 minute ago, ICE COLD said:

Yes a lot better feb . Let's hope they become even better . 

Yes, the only problem i can see at the moment is that the eps and GEFS do show signs of going flatter right at the end, which would tie in with the Met and BBC forecasts, the Met are a lot better with their 30 dayer these days, and not sure the scandi ridge is sharp enough this time and doesnt ridge into the pole as much as to do damage to the strat in order to buy us more time, BUT - overall im pretty happy though, at least there is interest, which has not always been the case for large parts of the last 4 or 5 winters.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
1 minute ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Yes, the only problem i can see at the moment is that the eps and GEFS do show signs of going flatter right at the end, which would tie in with the Met and BBC forecasts, the Met are a lot better with their 30 dayer these days, and not sure the scandi ridge is sharp enough this time and doesnt ridge into the pole as much as to do damage to the strat in order to buy us more time, BUT - overall im pretty happy though, at least there is interest, which has not always been the case for large parts of the last 4 or 5 winters.

Well the Met haven't been over the last month...check what they were saying a fortnight ago for the upcoming period, temps largely normal to colder than average and short lived milder interludes (or words to that effect).

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers
4 minutes ago, ICE COLD said:

Yes a lot better feb . Let's hope they become even better . 

Yeah quite a few Scandi highs in there, nothing spectacular but many of these runs see attempts at retrogression to Greenland in far FI.

Nothing to catch my interest until it appears in mid range but there are a few interesting options even at T240. The parallel is better then the OP at T240 also (left).
GFSPARAEU06_240_1.png GFSOPEU06_240_1.png

Some of the more interesting runs at mid range (T240)

GFSP05EU06_240_1.png GFSP07EU06_240_1.png GFSP08EU06_240_1.png GFSP13EU06_240_1.pngGFSP17EU06_240_1.pngGFSP19EU06_240_1.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW AND FREEZING TEMPS
2 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Yer it may not happen at the first bite of the cherry , but if we can get to that position of strong heights to the north and east , then we may get a second/third bite of the cherry . And that's what we want . It usually happens that way . 

• Like 4

Posted
2 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Part of the problem with scandy highs is if they don't sustain or manage to retrogress then that opens the door for a protracted spell of Atlantic weather for the UK.

Clearly Exeter and the BBC monthly authors do not believe this scandysceuro high is going to pull far enough west to deflect the jetstream south- i'm still on the fence longer term but if we do indeed see the anticyclone slip away the natural progression IMHO is for the northern arm to fire up and well, a stormy +NAO setting up for later in the month.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
27 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

6z was one of the milder ones within the ensembles

44924A68-4910-4039-8F8A-711F5F21069E.thumb.png.0235ac21521cc5bf175f5f6abed5a8b1.png

Unsurprisingly, really.

Edit: These are yesterdays ENS.

This is today's not sure why that's stuck on yesterday 

GFSENS06_52_0_205.thumb.png.643b5fc84b0c183c8bd57592bb13d911.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
41 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

Well the Met haven't been over the last month...check what they were saying a fortnight ago for the upcoming period, temps largely normal to colder than average and short lived milder interludes (or words to that effect).

Yes, looks like i set myself up for whats just happened - see 16-30 Met thread.

Posted
Just now, bluearmy said:

Of course the gfsp is the best verfiryjng fi operational product at the moment ....

Well Exeter appear to be flip-flopping at the moment Blue, the longer term prognosis screams they really don't know?

Unsettled periods later in the month with snow on northern hills doesn't sound like the jet roaring away to the north and a euro high to me?

It is suggestive of a PM flow/north-westerly..

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Of course the gfsp is the best verfiryjng fi operational product at the moment ....

A very blocked 6z from the p, wouldnt surprise me if the 12z normal GFS goes backed to a more blocked regime, the overreaction on single OP runs is laughable on here, you'd think we were staring down the barrel of rampant zonality! Nobody is claiming a big freeze just yet, how can people be disappointed at heights trying to build to our NE repeatedly and further attacks on the PV is baffling to me! 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, coldwinter said:

A very blocked 6z from the p, wouldnt surprise me if the 12z normal GFS goes backed to a more blocked regime, the overreaction on single OP runs is laughable on here, you'd think we were staring down the barrel of rampant zonality! Nobody is claiming a big freeze just yet, how can people be disappointed at heights trying to build to our NE repeatedly and further attacks on the PV is baffling to me! 

What's even more laughable is certain people on here taking every single meto update as gospel, of course the updates are going to change from time to time but come on it could be a lot worse!

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

It's almost here - the run to end all runs!

Anything like this will do nicely: :cold:GFS Archive Image

And what's more - a thread dedicated entirely to THFC!:yahoo:

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

P4 from the GEFS legacy 00z run

gensnh-4-1-384.png gensnh-4-0-384.png

25th November 2010 archivesnh-2010-11-25-0-0.png not saying it would get as cold as it did in 2010 but nice to see some of these charts in the ensembles rather than a raging Atlantic.

06z GEFS 

P5 gens-5-0-336.png gens-5-1-336.png

P7 gens-7-0-312.png gens-7-1-288.png

some deep cold to the east on P13 gensnh-13-0-336.png

P19 tempresult_dow2.gif

looks like possibly a dip in pressure after mid month in Greenland then a rise again

Diagramme GEFS

Reykjavik pressure chart starting to look interesting with a possible rise in pressure after mid month with a couple taking it above 1045 hpa 

Diagramme GEFS

scandi high (Oslo) looking to gain strength with some also getting towards 1045 hpa

Diagramme GEFS  

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder , Lightning , Snow , Blizzards

We find ourself in the middle of a Mexican stand off ! Let’s see what the block is made of ...

4888ACD8-02CD-4CE1-B171-677D18897EF4.jpeg

• Like 1