Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - The Hunt For Cold

Paul
Message added by Paul

If you're hunting for cold potential in the model output, this thread is for you. But if you'd like to look more widely at the models, please head over to the general model discussion thread.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
5 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

What an upgrade from the 12z EC clusters.

Damn.thumb.png.d2cde6e085f530d80e2622ddfcd2273c.png

Yes, whilst the orientation of the block at this time of year would probably preclude anything severely wintry, you could easily get surface temps near freezing in the day, if 60 odd percent isnt evidence of some sort of cold developing then i dont know what is.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the weather extremes in general but my favourites are snow & thunderstorms
16 minutes ago, Geordiesnow said:

Would never wind people up Mark, just saying the reality that the outlook is mild and trending towards very mild again perhaps into next week, the models has been very consistent in this in all fairness so only saying what they are showing. 

Of course we can have a month of 2 halves so a colder 2nd half of the month can't be ruled out but certainly no significant signs of that yet. Would not rule out surface cold appearing in the outlook similar to the GFS18Z run if the Euro block alligns itself which brings more of a continental feed in. 

Fair enough it wasn’t aimed specifically at you though. 

Anyway id say maybe not right now or within the next 2 weeks or so but something is definitely brewing towards the end of the month imo but I’m no expert.

on that note I’ll hand this back over to the experts 

Edited by markw2680
Mistake
  • Like 2

Posted

GEFS already an improvement at 168 - havent looked at individuals but mean has a better dig of atlantic trough, better alignment and WAA into the pole, feel a good suite with some stonkers coming on.

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, feb1991blizzard said:

GEFS already an improvement at 168 - havent looked at individuals but mean has a better dig of atlantic trough, better alignment and WAA into the pole, feel a good suite with some stonkers coming on.

It will be interesting if we do get some WAA towards the pole if the PV does form quite strongly like its forecast too because we could see some quite potant cold heading towards the mid-latitudes. According to climate reanalyzer than the pole itself is forecast to be slightly below average which believe it or not is a very rare event these days. My only worry would be as the GFS 18Z sort of hints, if that solid PV head towards Canada/Greenland instead of Siberia. 

Anyways I'll leave it there and let the models do the talking in the coming days and see if there is any signs appearing of the outlook might be turning colder. The outlook can easily change from a mild one to a cold one quite quickly, it has happened before.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW AND FREEZING TEMPS
8 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Yep it's gaining as @tight isobar would say . Where is @Steve Murrand @Frosty. ?? Oh and as you've said @nick sussex . Be good to have there thoughts . 

• Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, ICE COLD said:

Yep it's gaining as @tight isobar would say . Where is @Steve Murrand @Frosty. ?? Oh and as you've said @nick sussex . Be good to have there thoughts . 

Members 4,5 and 6 all build the -8c on the continent and give us an Easterly and threaten us with it.

Edited by feb1991blizzard
  • Like 1

Posted

GEFS best suite so far, over 50% Easterlies, some with cold uppers approaching, a few powerhouse Northerlies.

• Like 6

Posted

Trends trends trends. Details irrelevant at this range. Important thing is to keep this Blocking theme in place for a few days, even at end of low res, before firming up placement in days and weeks to come...patience. 

693ACEA0-7E00-49F5-8F60-CCF09F7DD586.png

962BBA6A-4C1D-4AAD-A3BE-4C2336B21681.png

2E772571-E948-4FB4-B980-4E8CE03C1A6A.png

F9A2EF4C-2FEF-4C4D-A45F-783D76D4252A.png

5531F217-0A7A-45AE-B229-0E9406F5DFA9.png

FBCCB268-B000-4544-B261-660D19840135.png

63D4BF1D-6E36-4780-9ADC-4478CB2BCA2E.png

9DDF7811-652D-4AED-A21B-7AC0006337EA.png

D2410854-2EE6-4DD6-95F2-5A7F9B95FD61.png

78520101-46CA-4CE7-8A40-8BCB6CF7349B.png

BA4AA678-600F-417F-B6F1-640B7ED90C3A.png

5D245B05-7604-4FA6-A9D0-5D32F7CACCDB.png

2FB915FA-9530-44B3-8B07-F655328102AE.png

• Like 8

Posted
8 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

384 GEFS mean.

gensnh-21-1-384_edj8.png

Quite remarkable for cold prospects, that. An empty N Atlantic. Heights in Iceland and Greenland. Rare to see such a prognosis as a mean so far into low res. Certainly suggests something is brewing. We’ve been here before though so let’s not get ahead of ourselves. Still, the signs are very positive tonight 

edit: see mean for NE England. Spiral. 

95E2667B-D165-42A0-8245-18AB5B4FAC84.gif

Edited by ITSY
  • Like 4

Posted
2 minutes ago, ITSY said:

Quite remarkable for cold prospects, that. An empty N Atlantic. Heights in Iceland and Greenland. Rare to see such a prognosis as a mean so far into low res. Certainly suggests something is brewing. We’ve been here before though so let’s not get ahead of ourselves. Still, the signs are very positive tonight 

Yes, and certainly at this time of year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰
On 05/11/2018 at 14:18, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

I think the ups and downs will continue in the models this week with some runs going more unsettled and some keeping the high to the east stronger with more of a blocked pattern.

as I said on Monday the potential for more blocked patterns to be shown within the models this week.

GEFS

control run gensnh-0-1-384.png gensnh-0-5-384.png

P2 tempresult_zfb0.gif tempresult_rjy0.gif

P4 tempresult_qfz7.gif 

P5 tempresult_flb9.gif tempresult_buz3.gif

P6 tempresult_ftd3.gif

P8gensnh-8-1-384.png gensnh-8-5-384.png

P9 gensnh-9-1-384.png

P13 tempresult_yfi6.gif tempresult_hlr7.gif

P15 gensnh-15-1-384.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Looking at how things stand today...seatbelts on and prepare for a bumpy ride!

Early season cold potential is the best IMO

• Like 4

Posted
2 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

BTW when i was looking at the WQBO phase not being favourable for SSW's during solar min, i didnt take into account changeover phases being favourable, i thought that would be too  early for an SSW anyway but the post by sebastian (i think) in the strat thread means we do have a window of opportunity for an SSW and if we can get one, it might put the vortex out of action for the whole winter as by the time the upper strat vortex re-forms, it is susceptible to further attacks, so looking pretty good (for now) IMO.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
23 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

BTW when i was looking at the WQBO phase not being favourable for SSW's during solar min, i didnt take into account changeover phases being favourable, i thought that would be too  early for an SSW anyway but the post by sebastian (i think) in the strat thread means we do have a window of opportunity for an SSW and if we can get one, it might put the vortex out of action for the whole winter as by the time the upper strat vortex re-forms, it is susceptible to further attacks, so looking pretty good (for now) IMO.

Yeah

I've been saying an early season SSW would be the grail for us this year- still the case as far as I'm concerned.

• Like 1

Posted
30 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

I love cold weather when the days are shorter myself- between late Nov and late Jan is my optimum timeframe cold and snow wise- in another 3 weeks it will be going dark at around 4.15pm, if we do get under a cold airmass the nights are very long for frost to set in, in the run up to christmas thats perfect , in my world..

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Bearing in mind we are looking at output for middle part November, very interesting from a coldie perspective where we seem to be headed ....... however, we have been here before so a little bit of handbrake application now and again might help for when the sypntotic swingometer heads in the wrong direction,!!

Edited by bluearmy
  • Like 5

Posted
19 hours ago, Ed Stone said:

And here, so as to better relate with PerfectStorm's post, is the actual chart for November 15 1978: quite an evolution?

GFS Archive Image

If i remember correctly the end of November we had a northerly and snow on the ground for a few days which was early for us.

• Like 1

Posted

EC looks a bit tasty this morning!! High drifting north/north east ,energy going south in the Atlantic, cold/foggy/frosty weather incoming for mainland Europe and the UK...

GFS is a bit meh though as the high never really gets far enough north ..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

EC looks a bit tasty this morning!! High drifting north/north east ,energy going south in the Atlantic, cold/foggy/frosty weather incoming for mainland Europe and the UK...

GFS is a bit meh though as the high never really gets far enough north ..

Trust the gfs to do that as soon as the ecm finally comes up with some tasty charts after days of showing rubbish lol!!

• Like 5