Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - The Hunt For Cold

Paul
Message added by Paul

If you're hunting for cold potential in the model output, this thread is for you. But if you'd like to look more widely at the models, please head over to the general model discussion thread.

10 minutes ago, BLAST FROM THE PAST said:

So we now watch, sit and wait. I posted many times and days ago that last 3rd and late month will see a cold pattern take hold and to look fo E/NE feed. I was pulled up for not producing charts to support, well they weren’t reaching that far and of course I don’t use them to forecast.  But maybe when I can I’ll post some.  But I remain in same call. The switch likely to be swift, ushering in an early cold start to winter during December.  Deep FI on GFS on more than one run now sniffing at this....so we watch sit and wait.  Let the ‘real’ Hunt commence!

BFTP

Is the cold going to be anything that is noteworthy?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
36 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

i believe it was recently verifying top for T192. anecdotally, it seems to be doing better than the gfs op and it didn't go for the mid November undercut like other models did recently 

Yes, FV3 was top at T192, for the NH - it still is currently at T240:

Perhaps the more interesting fact for our purposes on this thread given how far we look ahead sometimes, is that unlike the current GFS, the resolution doesn't drop after day 10, it remains high resolution (~13km) right out to day 16.

image.thumb.jpg.041ae1956713bc96dbb493d8215add1c.jpg

Edited by Mike Poole
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW AND FREEZING TEMPS

Interesting the GFS and ECM day 10 charts are very similar . 

IMG_2758.PNG

IMG_2759.PNG

Cant get much closer than that at day 10 . 

Edited by ICE COLD
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
Just now, ICE COLD said:

IMG_2758.PNG

IMG_2759.PNG

Yes, its no good people saying 'ECM does not show cold' because it does not go far enough, not thinking of anyone in particular of course!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
Just now, ICE COLD said:

IMG_2758.PNG

IMG_2759.PNG

Cant get much closer than that at day 10 . 

Which demonstrates the trend that after a weekend where it should be fresher(although still average to slightly above), next week could be back to where we are now with very mild Southerlies via the Euro high. 

One difference there is between the 2 runs is the Alaskan ridge where the ECM is more pronounced whereas the GFS is less pronounced which means the PV over the North Pole is not sitting as comfortably as a result so the ECM is slightly more encouraging for cold lovers despite it being a dreadful run on the face of it to be quite frank. 

All that said, despite the charts being similar, the details will change between now and then.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days
4 minutes ago, Geordiesnow said:

Which demonstrates the trend that after a weekend where it should be fresher(although still average to slightly above), next week could be back to where we are now with very mild Southerlies via the Euro high. 

One difference there is between the 2 runs is the Alaskan ridge where the ECM is more pronounced whereas the GFS is less pronounced which means the PV over the North Pole is not sitting as comfortably as a result so the ECM is slightly more encouraging for cold lovers despite it being a dreadful run on the face of it to be quite frank. 

All that said, despite the charts being similar, the details will change between now and then.

And details will likely MASSIVELY change too....

That given any1's particular-model decipher/perveivement.

And taking computer generated analysis...at present...as a whole!

• Like 4

Posted
Just now, tight isobar said:

And details will likely MASSIVELY change too....

That given any1's particular-model decipher/perveivement.

And taking computer generated analysis...at present...as a whole!

Exactly, I always emphasize whatever set up we see details will change, as Nick Sussex says, if a model is incorrect in the first part of the run then the rest of the run is incorrect and that applies to any set up. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow
46 minutes ago, Mr Brown said:

Look back to what happened from Nov 26th 2010......

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
21 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Yes, its no good people saying 'ECM does not show cold' because it does not go far enough, not thinking of anyone in particular of course!

Fair point, feb...But, were the ECM to go out too far, it'd be in direct competition with the always-correct CFS. So, I guess it'd always show cold?

Posted
3 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Fair point, feb...But, were the ECM to go out too far, it'd be in direct competition with the always-correct CFS. So, I guess it'd always show cold?

Not sure what the CFS has to do with it, the comparison would be with the GFS, you cant say what the accuracy with the ECM would be like because you dont know what spec 240-384 would run at, the point im making is the fact that with long fetch WAA going into the pole, how on earth can you say that there is not ANY SIGN of cold at all.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder , Lightning , Snow , Blizzards
15 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Look back to what happened from Nov 26th 2010......

Is there an archived thread with the lead up to December 2010? , would be good for an educational purpose and to pretend I was here at the time  

• Like 5

Posted
1 minute ago, Raythan said:

Is there an archived thread with the lead up to December 2010? , would be good for an educational purpose and to pretend I was here at the time  

There will be somewhere but it is so hard to navigate, i have links to threads as far back as feb 2009 but they were regional discussions - cant seem to even find those for the late 2010 cold spell

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Not sure what the CFS has to do with it, the comparison would be with the GFS, you cant say what the accuracy with the ECM would be like because you dont know what spec 240-384 would run at, the point im making is the fact that with long fetch WAA going into the pole, how on earth can you say that there is not ANY SIGN of cold at all.

You're right, cold at some point (perhaps past the end of model-reliability IMO) is always going to be somewhere or other - it's winter. Nearly!

My allusion to the CFS was not intended to highlight any one model in particular, but to how accurate models (any models) might be, should they go out to much farther than about one month ahead. Given that the CFS is the only really long-range model I can view (and is, IMO, about as much use as a chocolate fireguard) I used it as a reference point.

• Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Ed Stone said:

You're right, cold at some point (perhaps past the end of model-reliability IMO) is always going to be somewhere or other - it's winter. Nearly!

My allusion to the CFS was not intended to highlight any one model in particular, but to how accurate models (any models) might be, should they go out to much farther than about one month ahead. Given that the CFS is the only really long-range model I can view (and is, IMO, about as much use as a chocolate fireguard) I used it as a reference point.

Not always, if you look at some of the charts of yesteryear in Mid Jan with a coupled vortex thats huge and stretches from the pole to 60N all the way around the globe and has huge areas of sub 500 heights, and there have been no recent significant bouts of WAA / polar ridges then you can write off more than a month, this isnt one of those occasions.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
1 hour ago, Mr Brown said:

I certainly am not seeing a 2010 scenario end of Nov into Dec ( not that extreme) ,  but certainly noteworthy enough that temps for periods will be decently below average enough for snow to low levels even down south if the precip set up is there at the time

BFTP 

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted
18 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Not always, if you look at some of the charts of yesteryear in Mid Jan with a coupled vortex thats huge and stretches from the pole to 60N all the way around the globe and has huge areas of sub 500 heights, and there have been no recent significant bouts of WAA / polar ridges then you can write off more than a month, this isnt one of those occasions.

No. It's not.:oldgood:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
44 minutes ago, Raythan said:

I’ve asked before and would like to read it but can’t find it. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)
47 minutes ago, Raythan said:

Go to top right  ‘search box’ type in (2010) then click contents titles only.

you'll find loads of pages/content relating to 2010....some great pics ??

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Posted
27 minutes ago, Dancerwithwings said:

Go to top right  ‘search box’ type in (2010) then click contents titles only.

you'll find loads of pages/content relating to 2010....some great pics ??

Thats the problem though - everythings all over the place - you cant find the model threads.

• Like 2

Posted

Significant warm air advection is showing up for later next week on both GFS and ECM, and this does indeed bode well for height rises to set up shop over the pole and to our NE.. it will inflate the ridge and combined with a sluggish jet, an undercut could be the end result.. always a believer significant mild can often be quickly followed by notable cold and vice versa.. usually happens more so in Spring with the classic northerly switch to southerly and back.. but its very notable at a time when the atlantic should be going into turbo charge it appears to want to run out of steam having never really switched into mid gear it seems..

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundery summers, very snowy winters! Huge Atlantic Storms!
25 minutes ago, Ice Day said:

Running the risk of being termed a 'straw clutcher', the late stages of the GFS really do show some mouth-watering synoptics.  Of course the outcome won't be an exact match but there's a consistency with its FI output that gives some cause for optimism.  Allied to that, the similarities between the ECM and GFS 240 charts are notable, we could just be heading for a cracking start to winter 2018/19.

It's been posted several times already, but it's worth showing again.  Superb chart!

gfsnh-0-384.png?12

Could it be possible that the massive strat warming last Feb is still having some ramifications?

Given how crazy 2018 has been since the SSW, it wouldn’t surprise me if it’s still having some sort of effect but not a direct one of course. 

Good signs in FL, as long as the models hold onto the blocking signal nearer the time then there’s lots to be positive about. 

• Like 2