Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - The Hunt For Cold

Paul
Message added by Paul

If you're hunting for cold potential in the model output, this thread is for you. But if you'd like to look more widely at the models, please head over to the general model discussion thread.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

06z GEFS are not too bad with a few trying to get some kind of easterly with the lows diving south and still showing blocking to our north

gens-1-1-240.png gensnh-2-1-228.png gensnh-11-5-384.png gensnh-12-1-312.png gensnh-12-5-360.png gensnh-14-1-264.png gensnh-15-5-360.png

GEM 0z with the same kind of idea gemnh-0-240.png?00

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Afternoon all :)

I'm not wholly convinced at this time. I'm still seeing a lot of FI output dragging us back into a more zonal picture with HP sinking SE into Europe as the jet fires up.

To be fair, the 06Z Parallel is a very different animal:

gfs-0-336.png?6

Obviously a ridiculously long way away but in tune with some of the LRF signals.

It should also be stressed none of this means three months of storm force easterlies and -20 850s for the UK (I'm fairly confident about that).

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

As exciting as this is even if going with the Met Office, it ia highly unlikely they expect the same high to persist for two weeks and then produce the cool weather.

Folks should enjoy the fact that we are as yet not looking at zonality for another ten days.

• Like 4

Posted
1 hour ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

06z GEFS are not too bad with a few trying to get some kind of easterly with the lows diving south and still showing blocking to our north

GEM 0z with the same kind of idea 

So 3 perterbations show this out of how many please?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy
1 minute ago, johnholmes said:

To be fair Kirkcaldy Weather did say a 'few', not most. Also, 20...so 15% show something with an easterly component, but you knew that already. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, johnholmes said:

It doesn't matter how many are showing though does it, after all this is the hunt for cold thread 

• Like 9

Posted

To answer the two comments above.

No I did not know how many which is why I asked, thank you for giving me that information.

Yes it is the search for cold and yes the post did say a few. All I am doing, if I am allowed is to give another viewpoint.

My comment is largely based on the 500 mb anomaly charts going out, (with NOAA) to day 14. This is as far as I normally give comment. Currently they are not giving the indication, 2 out of the 3, that is that the perterbations shown suggest.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

Main models at T144, UKMO, GEM, GFS:

image.thumb.jpg.549dd2cbf50de7d290510f86e2b27254.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.7624010f8a655a1c912d929789d57738.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.3b74062145a755613a31a72cdf683618.jpg

There will doubtless be conversations about the later stages of these runs and others, but if this sort of thing verifies in just 6 days time,  then the model output at that time for the rest of November might look quite peachy! 

Edited by Mike Poole
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
34 minutes ago, coldie said:

It doesn't matter how many are showing though does it, after all this is the hunt for cold thread 

Which means that anything bearing even the slightest hint of meteorological realism goes straight out the window? No wonder the tabloid press is always picking-up on silly predictions of imminent Snowmageddon...

• Like 2

Posted
9 minutes ago, Leo97t said:

GFS 12z is okay is the reliable but let's not talk about how it ends 

GFSOPEU12_384_1.png

the gfs is crud when it come to high pressure over Europe,scandinavia etc,always it want to push the atlantic  through no matter what ,feb 1947 would never have happened if the gfs had been around then

• Like 1

Posted

Still some good blocks on the GEFS, P12 looks a good'un at T216:

image.thumb.jpg.98851a81b6741d2cc83008603086636b.jpg

The real thing T276:

image.thumb.jpg.ba713526c232b7591a4e3285aab0009d.jpg

Edited by Mike Poole
  • Like 6

Posted
1 hour ago, feb1991blizzard said:

I actually like the idea of this thread, in my mind it should not mean that you have to 'make up' cold, its really IMO to stop people posting 1 ens member at 384 showing an armageddon type scenario in the regular model output discussion thread when there is other things to talk about for fans of different weather types, in other words this is the thread for cold fans but it doesnt mean that you cant say it will be mild, you can be gutted it will be mild but still say so, also it doesnt mean you cant talk about cold in the other thread if its a likely scenario, what the split up of threads is for IMO is to stop mild fans gloating when cold doesn't happen and also to stop cold fans gloating while other people are sitting there without heating and with flooded houses due to burst pipes having to read it.

Exactly right! I think the new threads are mostly working, so far anyway, giving posters with all preferences a little more guidance thus avoiding a few more fallouts along the way this winter

Now if only we could do something with the `like`(troll) button...…………

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
1 minute ago, Always a red said:

Exactly right! I think the new threads are mostly working, so far anyway, giving posters with all preferences a little more guidance thus avoiding a few more fallouts along the way this winter

The true test will be when we lose model consensus on an Easterly and a few of us jump ship and get called trolls.

Not sure why people have so much beef with the like system, its never bothered me or angered me to be honest, you do hear some 'i dont want like's' which is usually a thinly veiled 'please give me some because i feel left out'

• Like 5

Posted

I ponder whether what happened back in 1946 is entirely relevant to some posts. Aren’t we in a different global situation? Yes look back but the situation now is entirely different. I seem to recall that this time last year some had already written off the winter. For some of us it was cold and extended. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
16 minutes ago, Always a red said:

rep system should be scrapped, will mean less hopecast, 'fish 4 likes' posts

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
4 minutes ago, Snipper said:

I ponder whether what happened back in 1946 is entirely relevant to some posts. Aren’t we in a different global situation? Yes look back but the situation now is entirely different. I seem to recall that this time last year some had already written off the winter. For some of us it was cold and extended. 

But this the thread for cold-hunting, Snipper...What does it matter if peeps need go back 72-years to find any!:good::drunk-emoji:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Could we please get back to the topic at hand?! It's not the place to discuss the reputation system or about falling's out- they're are caused by going off-topic themselves. :)

• Like 4

Posted

Oh dear!

image.thumb.jpg.9b2a5e3ccfa4e2233895f7a76d0e8adb.jpg

(ECM T240) But don't worry, the probability of ending up here is minuscule given the other model output I would suggest.  Let's get to the middle of next week with the push of heights north and maybe towards Greenland and see what the models say then...I of course will refrain from model watching until that point - not...

Edited by Mike Poole
  • Thanks 1