Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - The Hunt For Cold

Paul
Message added by Paul

If you're hunting for cold potential in the model output, this thread is for you. But if you'd like to look more widely at the models, please head over to the general model discussion thread.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,
9 minutes ago, MP-R said:

I often don't need to comment given how good other people's posts are but I can't help but be very interested at some of the evolutions shown by the models into November - slider central! If there's a time of the year when it's probably most difficult to get these stellar charts, it's now until Christmas when the Atlantic should be in full on mode. If only these charts were showing up in mid winter, we could be on the cusp of a notable cold and perhaps snowy spell. I guess, being November, cold rain/sleet will be the order for most away from higher ground but it's good news for the continent cooling down.

Given the right setup mid-November onwards can often produce, the end of Nov 2010 was a good indicator of that.

For example if the later stages of the GFS were to come off, it wouldn’t take long for truely cold, snowfall producing air to arrive to our shores as Europe can call rapidly. 

Granted it’d take something exceptional but, we’re seeing exceptional charts at the moment.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow

Well time to come out of summer hibernation maybe?

Whatever happens in FI it's looking cool / cold for the foreseeable.

image.thumb.png.4f6ddbfc83444f79e41b7e2a1285b0b6.png

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

I know these snow depth charts are drastically over the top but they give an indication of where snow could fall. As ever, Northern Hills are favoured, the snow line comes quite low across Wales and SW England for a time so any heavier showers could turn sleety/wet snow across the hills even here. 

Nice first taste of winter whatever happens, it’ll feel bloomin’ cold compared to what we’ve gotten used to.08D8D0CA-0970-4D6B-AE89-BBAFB944A5A4.thumb.jpeg.d2e3d3de0e7a2b5a4f41a1283b99f8d2.jpeg82F7C38D-A8FA-4F89-8D36-BB463F4D76AC.thumb.jpeg.f99d21c6c8de34e5fef6630dd0ba5206.jpeg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes
-4.39 latest qbo so just easterly can we get atmosphere to play ball until we reach full westerly qbo.

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/data/indices/qbo.u30.index

and 

-18.67 for the u50 index anomaly http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/data/indices/qbo.u50.index

Posted
19 minutes ago, MR EXTREMES said:

-4.39 latest qbo so just easterly can we get atmosphere to play ball until we reach full westerly qbo.

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/data/indices/qbo.u30.index

and 

-18.67 for the u50 index anomaly http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/data/indices/qbo.u50.index

Edited by coldwinter

Well the good news is it looks almost certain now there'll be a taste of Winter this weekend with below average temperatures.

However I'm keeping a close eye on that low to the west next week as in terms of rainfall that looks a bit of a troublemaker with a stalled rainband. Currently the heaviest of the rain is over S & SE Ireland but a shift of 100 miles or so east could bring another deluge to Wales just a fortnight after the flooding here and also with next week being half term many people will be out and about. It appears to be similar ie most of the rain falling in 48 hours 

image.jpeg

Edited by Jonathan Rhodri Roberts
  • Like 1

Posted

If we establish the block I think fears of it being too early will fade quickly. That Greenland High in the 06z GFS for example is only 10 days before the cold spell of 2010 started. Scandinavia looks like it will cool down quite a bit during the next week or so too.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
23 minutes ago, Snowy L said:

If we establish the block I think fears of it being too early will fade quickly. That Greenland High in the 06z GFS for example is only 10 days before the cold spell of 2010 started. Scandinavia looks like it will cool down quite a bit during the next week or so too.

The biggest fear is probably the ground temps... It would be like  being a kid on Christmas day, running down stairs and seeing the presents under the Tree, only for them to quickly disappear right in front of your eyes. Most upsetting 

Current Status:

Modele GFS - Carte prévisions

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow
1 minute ago, karlos1983 said:

The biggest fear is probably the ground temps... It would be like  being a kid on Christmas day, running down and seeing the presents, only for them to quickly disappear right in front of your eyes. Most upsetting 

Current Status:

Modele GFS - Carte prévisions

isn't that just reflective of the current very warm spell? A couple of frosts and cold days would soon cool the ground temps down.

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, Purga said:

isn't that just reflective of the current very warm spell? A couple of frosts and cold days would soon cool the ground temps down.

I think we will need more than a couple of frosts and cold days  but then you probably know that.. Sun still relatively high. I'm not trying to wiz on anyone's fireworks here, just to be clear. But snow don't like warm ground, it's not conducive to sticking!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
1 minute ago, karlos1983 said:

I think we will need more than a couple of frosts and cold days  but then you probably know that.. Sun still relatively high. I'm not trying to wiz on anyone's fireworks here, just to be clear. But snow don't like warm ground, it's not conducive to sticking!

i had 3 inchs of snow on Sept 11 that stuck around for weeks ..even though it had been in the mid 20s a few days before and came of a warm summer..with temps hitting 40c just 4 weeks previous to that

• Like 7

Posted
3 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

i had 3 inchs of snow on Sept 11 that stuck around for weeks ..even though it had been in the mid 20s a few days before and came of a warm summer..with temps hitting 40c just 4 weeks previous to that

In Chelmsford of Alberta.... You probably don't need to dig to far down to get very cold soil temperatures all year round in Canada

Don't want to derail the thread, so i'll leave it there.

Edited by karlos1983

Posted
29 minutes ago, Purga said:

Those ground temps are actually lower than our average temperature of October so far (CET is 12.4c so far), so not worried at all about ground temps. Land is awful at retaining heat so it really would only take a couple cold days to make them fine.

Edited by Snowy L
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Ground temperatures are a valid concern but too simple. What we really need to know is what soil moisture profiles are like across northern europe and Scandinavia in addition to the UK. Those will dictate how much modification may occur.

The drier the better whether currently warm or not.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

UKMO at D6 is certainly of interest.

0AF34BFC-3C82-48A4-B099-0E18243D6A04.thumb.gif.a7fcc19d43d5384dcf8dbe1b978b5d02.gif

With decent uppers lurking, or will we be tapping into the warmer 850’s.... 

8A982607-33F0-4566-A1BC-70550878CC3B.thumb.gif.1d7e0b213aa5ff538e1c1ef4cbf4fc5a.gif

Shame we can’t see just one more day

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

Now this is interesting..

Major russian pen waa punching..

And the desired effect of amping-of cooling to the north east/scandi..

As i alluded previous..this will be the compact for upper air decrease..as we gain..

And spillage to the mid-upper latts occur..

Like a broken record....things are decidedly eye opening !!!

gfsnh-0-156.png

gfs-1-162.png

Edited by tight isobar
  • Like 5

Posted

Madness for the time of year, breathtaking.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundery summers, very snowy winters! Huge Atlantic Storms!
3 hours ago, Snowy L said:

Classic example of get the pattern set in, and the cold will follow. It may seem too early but it’s happened before so it can happen again!

Posted

A northerly direct from deepest Arctic, then this Beasterly with a low in it - I imagine if this was Dec we’d have some serious snow in the SE. 

FI now of interest, especially if it removes any form of PV from the Canadian side again - trends etc...

DD77778E-0CEB-41A6-945B-7AE7CED67F60.png

• Like 4

Posted

The pressure pattern above the high suggests another attempt to ridge into Greenland.

• Like 2