Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Living in river in Germany... Any possible problem?

Posted
  • Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada, Altitude: 189 m, Density Altitude: 6 m
  • Weather Preferences: Tropical Cyclone, Blizzard, Thunderstorm, Freezing Cold Day and Heat Wave.
  • Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada, Altitude: 189 m, Density Altitude: 6 m

I have found an apartment that is located exactly above the river Rhine in Mannheim, Germany.

See an image here: https://i.imgur.com/Xo8MfeC_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

Before i sign and pay, i should be sure there will not be any serious problem, living in this situation. So what is your opinion? It is exactly like living far from river or it is completely different?

What about some annoying insects, like mosquitoes, or american cockroaches or german cockroaches? What about spiders? Generally speaking, in all Germany what is the "boss" of these animals?

I have the following experiences:

Athens, Greece: American cockroaches

Countryside, Greece: Spiders

Toronto, Canada: Bed bugs

Gdansk, Poland: Cockroaches (smaller than the american ones, maybe german)

So what is the "boss" of these animals in Germany, and especially in Mannheim?

Also what about living in enviroment with high amounts of moisture and humidity? There should be some problems? What about allergies?

And what about the pollution of the river?

Since the position of the apartment is high, i am not afraid of flooding or overflowing.

Thanks in advance.

Posted

I don't expect there would be any issues different to a block anywhere else in the city.
Parking for a vehicle might be a worry during big floods but the river levels will be well monitored and relatively predictable.
Building standards will be quite strict and your apartment will be economical for heating and air conditioning.

• 1 month later...