Holidays
Local
Radar
Windy?
HighPressure

Should I buy a classic car?

I am considering buying a classic car with a budget of @£10,000 not a lot these days but should buy something that appreciates.

The reason is I am fed up with buying cars that simply lose 10k in value in the space of a year, so I have decided to save that money and buy a classic. In theory it should be worth at least the same next year.

The question is, what should I buy?

My Son wants me to get a 1970's Silver Shadow, I think too many pitfalls, expensive to maintain. I would not mind a American classic, simple engines, easy to get too etc, but parts might be hard to find ??   

Edited by HighPressure

I bought an MG Midget (1976) 13yrs ago for £2k and it's now worth £3.5k+, so in theory you could buy three on your budget - but it's not about the investment, it's the love 😜

Easy to work on, parts are cheap and fun to drive. No Tax, no MOT needed yet worth having for insurance purposes. Which is £90 a year if you limit your mileage..

No brainer, if you've a garage (somewhere dry to park it) and don't use it to commute everyday, spesh in the rain (-:

Only if it's a Porsche Speedster and you take me for a spin.

All joking apart, faced the same dilemma myself a few years ago, fed up with buying 3yr old estate cars to use for work (gardener) only for them to be worthless a few years later. I bought a 20 yr old Landrover Defender, took a while to find a decent one and had to have a bit of work done on it but it's worth more now than when I bought it. Taking into account the repairs and initial outlay, it's cost me nothing apart from running costs, possibly even made a profit - essentially free motoring for 7 years.

I have an old Merc 300 d 1980  in workshop which I'm doing up bit by bit ,should be a cracker when done as is a bombproof  classic 😎

A 2 door sports job is not viable or me, although I do like the Triumph Stag (too dear for a good one). I have a Mitsubishi 4x4 Shogun for the winter, it will go forever, but the fuel tank eats petrol like no tomorrow.

My daily car is a Skoda Fabia, no ordinary Fabia we are talking top of the range, 105bhp and Sat Nav, but seriously fantastic little car, does 60+ mpg, brilliant on the Mway, but rubbish over road humps, in fact the bottom touches - ouch!

So no 4x4, no small 2 door sports car, but when you drive a Skoda, people think your a peasant, so my classic has to be a head turner.

if i had the cash i would buy a Mark 1 Golf GTI.

I like browsing Honest John Classics when I have nothing else to do, lots of interesting stuff on there even if it is weird seeing the cars of the 80s/90s I grew up with called "classics":

https://classics.honestjohn.co.uk/reviews/

High Pressure: interesting you say that about the Fabia, when I drove taxis we had an Octavia that was brilliant, reliable, went on forever except that you had to be so careful of the underside. Once the oil sump ripped open when it was driven over one of those fold-down car park poles, like 2" high.... Had to be careful where you took it.

23 hours ago, Summer of 95 said:

I like browsing Honest John Classics when I have nothing else to do, lots of interesting stuff on there even if it is weird seeing the cars of the 80s/90s I grew up with called "classics":

https://classics.honestjohn.co.uk/reviews/

High Pressure: interesting you say that about the Fabia, when I drove taxis we had an Octavia that was brilliant, reliable, went on forever except that you had to be so careful of the underside. Once the oil sump ripped open when it was driven over one of those fold-down car park poles, like 2" high.... Had to be careful where you took it.

I got to say that the Fabia is a fantastic little car, I did 140 miles today and got 65mpg in traffic as well. Its a far better Mway car than town car that is for sure. My wife thinks we look one step away from the soup kitchen in it, and other drivers do try to take advantage, but in truth I don't actually care. Its funny because I get a lot of respect in my Shogun :)

A classic I shall get, but what, I have no idea yet, TOYOTA SUPRA? I like them..             

Mates just bought mk 1 Mexico   for 25 k somewhat amazed at their value 😮