Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Report Climate change ipcc

weirpig

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms
58 minutes ago, Devonian said:

I don't deny any of that. Nor do I deny that human activities (burning fossil fuels mostly) are causing climate change. Nor do I deny that this planet is being degraded - its seas over fished, forests being chopped down, animals losing habitat, insect being killed. I'm thus supportive of XR.

Btw, I have a fixed address, I work, I'm not a pensioner - probably quite like you actually...

I'm one hundred % behind you with the cruelty mankind inflicts on other species,  trophy hunting, bull fighting, is despicable and abhorrent, anyone who takes pleasure from killing such beautiful animals  deserves a fate worse than.......

Edited by SteveB
  • Like 1

Posted
16 minutes ago, Devonian said:

No, that would be to put words in my mouth...

I said NO such thing! And I would not think such a thing!

Off course you didn't that's why I asked, would solve the problem and save the planet though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
1 hour ago, weirpig said:

Yep  you would think people would be better informed  regarding co levels  especially  if they are a member of such an organisation   no doubt the world is warming  but there is no scientist  that I'm aware of who thinks the world will end in 50 years    

Exactly...life on earth and in the oceans flourished when CO2 was much higher than today and the world was much warmer than today..i was watching a documentary by PBS on you tube about when Antarctica was green and full of tropical tress and plants and full of different mammals that no longer exist today due to the fact the world began to cool..if humans had been around then would we be chaining ourselves to structures and complaining about global cooling destroying eco systems?

Edited by cheeky_monkey
  • Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, weirpig said:

Burning fossil fuels  are not mostly the cause of climate change  but they could be the reason why change is accelerating   I agree in regard to the earth being degraded   we have taken  oil from the planet for years  that has to have an affect  mass deforestation  also  is a major problem    so yeah I agree  I just think we are going about it the wrong way  

My bad English, I meant most of what we are causing is because of burning fossil fuels.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

And, if that were to happen again (at the rate caused by AGW) all the world's major conurbations would be 100m below sea-level. But, never mind, our descendants will all have genetically-engineered and fully-integrated nano-scubas...?

My God, the irrelevant twaddle that gets dragged-out by deniers, on a day-to-day basis, is truly mind-boggling!:crazy:

Edited by Ed Stone
  • Like 2

Posted
16 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

Exactly...life on earth and in the oceans flourished when CO2 was much higher than today and the world was much warmer than today..i was watching a documentary by PBS on you tube about when Antarctica was green and full of tropical tress and plants and full of different mammals that no longer exist today due to the fact the world began to cool..if humans had been around then would we be chaining ourselves to structures and complaining about global cooling destroying eco systems?

No, because the changes would be imperceptibly slow and we wouldn't be the cause. What we might cause in a century took hundreds of thousands of years if not millions of years back then.

Besides, I just don't want my name to be on the list of 'helped the destruction going on'. Sorry, but I don't.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Lots of posts just removed. A few simple things.

CO2 is a greenhouse gas. We are increasing it's atmospheric concentration. This increase is causing, at least, the vast majority of the warming over the last century. These elements are as certain as plate tectonics, evolution, etc. If you deny them, you should post on WUWT or some other denier site instead.
If you choose to keep posting here, you'll find yourself with restrictions on your posting privileges.

The science is clear and obvious enough nowadays. There's little point in trying to debate the basic facts of climate science with supposed adults that should know better.

Edited by BornFromTheVoid
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Police told Smithfield Market traders not to use lorry horns overnight to avoid waking sleeping Animal Rebellion protesters who camped out all night

Posted
1 minute ago, Summer Sun said:

Police told Smithfield Market traders not to use lorry horns overnight to avoid waking sleeping Animal Rebellion protesters who camped out all night

I wish they would tell my bin men that  5.30am  and i have to get up for work   maybe we should let the earth burn.  we really are a thick unintelligent  Animal 

• Like 1

Posted

Extinction Rebellion have lost 4 of their sites in London. Lambeth Bridge, Westminster Bridge, Smithfield Market and Millbank have all been closed down by police

• Like 1

Posted
4 hours ago, BornFromTheVoid said:

Lots of posts just removed. A few simple things.

CO2 is a greenhouse gas. We are increasing it's atmospheric concentration. This increase is causing, at least, the vast majority of the warming over the last century. These elements are as certain as plate tectonics, evolution, etc. If you deny them, you should post on WUWT or some other denier site instead.
If you choose to keep posting here, you'll find yourself with restrictions on your posting privileges.

The science is clear and obvious enough nowadays. There's little point in trying to debate the basic facts of climate science with supposed adults that should know better.

So why have other posts gone then?.  why have the charts that we posted  depicting how high co levels have been in the past been deleted   Why was a post questioning why those charts was removed  been deleted?.  And why has my post stating that  although the rise in co levels is mainly due to Human activities   other aspects have been looked into  regarding Solar flares  etc    which may also shed a light into why co levels are also rising.    Why cant i also mention  that very little study as been done into  global warming occuring on other planets in our solar system   Mars being one  that is currently becoming warmer   although scientists have put this down to a coincidence    why cant i discuss this?.   Isnt this a thread for debate?.  

Edited by weirpig
  • Like 2

Posted
41 minutes ago, weirpig said:

So why have other posts gone then?.  why have the charts that we posted  depicting how high co levels have been in the past been deleted   Why was a post questioning why those charts was removed  been deleted?.  And why has my post stating that  although the rise in co levels is mainly due to Human activities   other aspects have been looked into  regarding Solar flares  etc    which may also shed a light into why co levels are also rising.    Why cant i also mention  that very little study as been done into  global warming occuring on other planets in our solar system   Mars being one  that is currently becoming warmer   although scientists have put this down to a coincidence    why cant i discuss this?.   Isnt this a thread for debate?.  

Posts that were responding to climate denial were also removed. Only seems fair right?
This isn't the only thread in the climate area. There are others for other kinds of climate related discussion. It's barely hanging on to the actual topic as it is.
We know why CO2 levels are rising. It's absolutely not in dispute and the information is out there, from technical papers to more simple descriptions.
There's also plenty of information out there on the Martian climate. You could even start a thread on it!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, as a general comment, instead of posting debunked myths in the wrong threads, or a graph you don't understand as some kind of "gotcha!" and then complaining about comments getting removed... how about doing a little research first? Things will run more smoothly if folks make an attempt at being informed, rather than simply opinionated.

This thread is already a complete mess but with a little effort it can be a place for somewhat useful discussion again. If anyone has questions (more likely complaints) about the moderating or where is suitable to post new comments or new topics, just ask via pm. 

• Like 3

Posted

Police are taking advantage of the torrential rain in London as the protesters head for cover they're seizing items

Untitled.thumb.png.3ded9b2ef655373b6703fc6081efd7e5.png

Posted
2 hours ago, weirpig said:

Why cant i also mention  that very little study as been done into  global warming occuring on other planets in our solar system  

I can recommend a very fine book on that subject. "Principles of Planetary Climate". by Raymond T. Pierrehumbert.

And by the same person this is a must read

Infrared radiation and planetary temperature

https://geosci.uchicago.edu/~rtp1/papers/PhysTodayRT2011.pdf

Edited by knocker
  • Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, knocker said:

I can recommend a very fine book on that subject. "Principles of Planetary Climate". by Raymond T. Pierrehumbert.

It would be wrong of me to say that beyond the first few paragraphs I didn't find the paper very heavy going. I know when I'm beat and (unlike so many laymen) when I'm reading something beyond me by someone who knows better than me.

Would the book be as heavy going?

Posted
14 minutes ago, Devonian said:

It would be wrong of me to say that beyond the first few paragraphs I didn't find the paper very heavy going. I know when I'm beat and (unlike so many laymen) when I'm reading something beyond me by someone who knows better than me.

Would the book be as heavy going?

I'm afraid a lot of it is but not all by a long chalk, but there is no easy way round this. It's also quite expensive, or it was when I purchased it.

Posted
2 hours ago, knocker said:

I'm afraid a lot of it is but not all by a long chalk, but there is no easy way round this. It's also quite expensive, or it was when I purchased it.

Met O library time it is then...

Posted
5 hours ago, knocker said:

Interesting read  thanks  also I have found another paper which has been published  regarding  climate change on Mars   maybe clues can be found to answer the  questions here on earth        

F1.medium.gif
SCIENCE.SCIENCEMAG.ORG

Models predict that Mars should have undergone ice ages in the past, but...

Posted

These data seem pretty unequivocal:  

_108026900_hi055484157.jpg
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

Nearly 400 all-time high temperature records were broken over the...

Posted

As a reminder, this thread is supposed to about the IPCC reports.
We have a global temperatures thread, that weather records might be better suited for: 

With the Martian stuff, I'll post a link in the questions thread from realclimate that discusses the probem with the Mars warming claims.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers
On 07/10/2019 at 15:11, Summer Sun said:

The eco-warriors are currently getting unglued and removed from a scaffolding platform in Trafalgar square

Maybe this video will snap some sense into you. It's easy to brand them 'eco warriors' but when weighing up what is at stake here can you blame them?

Some stern words that would apply to a few people on here.

Edited by Quicksilver1989
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers
On 07/10/2019 at 19:36, SteveB said:

The daft thing is, climate deniers is such a silly term, Climate changes , Earth warms and cools, it always has and always will. There's no denying that!

I'm afraid you are getting natural climate change and anthropogenic climate change mixed up. The latter is in a different league and is taking place compared to the former which is driven by Milankovitch cycles and takes place over thousands of years. Anyway, that's the last from me as these threads go round in the same old circles whenever an XR protest pops up. Think derogatory words are going to stop them? The planet is only going to keep getting warmer, whether you like it or not... unless changes in current policies will take place.

• Like 4

Posted
7 minutes ago, Quicksilver1989 said:

Maybe this video will snap some sense into you. It's easy to brand them 'eco warriors' but when weighing up what is at stake here can you blame them.

Some stern words that would apply to a few people on here.

Got to 4 minutes   couldnt take anymore   so many  holes in that argument its shocking   if that is in someway trying to get public opinion on board    well  as ive said before we are doomed.

Posted
1 hour ago, Quicksilver1989 said:

I'm afraid you are getting natural climate change and anthropogenic climate change mixed up. The latter is in a different league and is taking place compared to the former which is driven by Milankovitch cycles and takes place over thousands of years. Anyway, that's the last from me as these threads go round in the same old circles whenever an XR protest pops up. Think derogatory words are going to stop them? The planet is only going to keep getting warmer, whether you like it or not... unless changes in current policies will take place.

Aye QS, and I think some deniers seem overly fond of making that particular 'error': in fact, they're so fond of it, the very same individuals make it over and over again...Could it be, that what we are being led to believe is a genuine mistake is, in reality, just another obfuscatory sleight-of-hand?!:shok: