Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Report Climate change ipcc

weirpig

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
9 minutes ago, D.V.R said:

Why are the Asians the problem and what do you mean we should address them? 

because their carbon emissions are rising exponentially ..China produces nearly double the USA and India is third and catching the US rapidly..US Carbon emissions have flat lined since 1992..UK has fallen by 30%..but China and India are not singled out like Europe and North America..lets be fair its a global problem so lets address it globally not single out a few nations and vilify them

Edited by cheeky_monkey

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.
9 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

because their carbon emissions are rising exponentially ..China produces nearly double the USA and India is third and catching the US rapidly..US Carbon emissions have flat lined since 1992..UK has fallen by 30%..but China and India are not singled out like Europe and North America..lets be fair its a global problem so lets address it globally not single out a few nations and vilify them

For a minute there I thought you were picking on the Asians but ok, that sounds fair.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

And, whilst the Whatabouterists continue blaming everyone but themselves, the evidence just keeps on mounting: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-49817804

• Like 2

Posted

This is the latest list list i could find regarding  countries who produce  co2   kind of backs up Cheeky Monkeys  post  unless im missing a more up to date  chart

image.thumb.png.e250fb32e133d140590702db3346592c.png

Edited by weirpig

Posted

European Union: The EU was a comparatively early adopter of climate targets. In 2009, it set a goal of reducing greenhouse gas emissions by 20 percent by 2020; its Paris target increased that to a 40 percent reduction by 2030. Its present policies, if fully enacted, would enable it to exceed that target. In May, the EU formally adopted into law a series of measures that included a binding target for 32 percent of electricity production to come from renewables by 2030. To achieve that figure across the EU, different countries within the bloc have adopted different national targets: For example, for Malta, the goal is 10 percent renewables, while for Sweden it is 49 percent.

CAT calculates that meeting this and other targets contained in the European Commission’s “Clean Energy for all Europeans” package would result in a reduction in emissions of 48 percent by 2030; a separate study has concluded that further improving energy efficiency targets and closing coal power plants across the EU by 2030 would increase that figure further, to 58 percent. However, because the EU is collectively the third-largest emitter of CO2 behind China and the United States, such a target would just place the bloc in range of a 2 degrees C-compatible reduction.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/environment/2019/09/climate-change-report-card-co2-emissions/

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms
18 minutes ago, weirpig said:

This is the latest list list i could find regarding  countries who produce  co2   kind of backs up Cheeky Monkeys  post  unless im missing a more up to date  chart

image.thumb.png.e250fb32e133d140590702db3346592c.png

Worth considering the amount of CO2 produced per person in each country.
Also worth considering that much of the drop or levelling off in western emissions is due to multi nationals shifting production facilities to developing economies.
Also doesn't include the CO2 burden arising from now having to import most of what we consume

• Like 4

Posted
15 minutes ago, BornFromTheVoid said:

Worth considering the amount of CO2 produced per person in each country.
Also worth considering that much of the drop or levelling off in western emissions is due to multi nationals shifting production facilities to developing economies.
Also doesn't include the CO2 burden arising from now having to import most of what we consume

Yes  Per person i believe  the highest is Saudi    then surprisingly  the Aussies   then the USA   China  is actually quite  low down the list  although still above us.     But as a whole  there is no doubt  that China and the USA lead the way     

Edited by weirpig

Posted
7 hours ago, weirpig said:

Actually having seen the breakdown of the Eu  into various countries   it does show how bad we are doing.  Of course this is as a whole and not per person   but still the result aint great.  Germany however is woeful climate.pdfclimate.pdf

The UK is probably one of the best performers in the world  in terms of carbon emission reductions..they are 50% lower than the 1970s and 38% lower than 1990 and are at the lowest since the 1880s...imagine if globally we had attained a 50% reduction since the late 1970s

Edited by cheeky_monkey

Posted
6 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

The UK is probably one of the best performers in the world  in terms of carbon emission reductions..they are 50% lower than the 1970s and 38% lower than 1990 and are at the lowest since the 1880s...imagine if globally we had attained a 50% reduction since the late 1970s

Which flies in the face of yesterday's claim...that today's young people 'emit' more CO2 per capita than those belonging to any previous generation ever did...

Posted
40 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Which flies in the face of yesterday's claim...that today's young people 'emit' more CO2 per capita than those belonging to any previous generation ever did...

Not really   because the uk has dropped   we now import more from developing countries  which causes their figures to rise    

Posted
19 hours ago, weirpig said:

Not really   because the uk has dropped   we now import more from developing countries  which causes their figures to rise    

But, isn't that like blaming chimney-sweeps for the London Smogs?

Edited by Ed Stone
  • Like 2

Posted
On 26/09/2019 at 10:36, Ed Stone said:

which is probably true..when i was growing up in the 1970s i didnt have anything..even into my 20s i couldnt afford a car etc and went everywhere on foot or on a bike..no tv no computer no smart phone..i assume although emissions are less the younger generation and children today account for a much higher % than the 1970s ..oh btw everybody walked to school when i was kid ..nowadays everybody is taken to school by car or bus

Edited by cheeky_monkey
  • Like 1

Posted
On 27/09/2019 at 13:03, Ed Stone said:

But, isn't that like blaming chimney-sweeps for the London Smogs?

Not sure what you are getting at   but  the point  is  a young child/teenager  in past generations  would have had a lower footprint then todays  youngsters.  Infact all of our footprint is higher.  than it was.   As CM states above 

• Like 1

Posted
25 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

which is probably true..when i was growing up in the 1970s i didnt have anything..even into my 20s i couldnt afford a car etc and went everywhere on foot or on a bike..no tv no computer no smart phone..i assume although emissions are less the younger generation and children today account for a much higher % than the 1970s ..oh btw everybody walked to school when i was kid ..nowadays everybody is taken to school by car or bus

Aye. And my entire family lived in a shoe-box under the stairs!:oldgrin:

• Like 1

Posted

I really dislike the generational divisions created on this subject. It does not improve the discussion.

Many of us older folk drive cars, use computers and phones, fly off on hols etc etc as much as our younger fellows do.

However, those who come after us may have to re-think and cut back, in order to compensate for the oldies extravagences in these areas..and I support them and their efforts.

• Like 2

Posted
47 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Aye. And my entire family lived in a shoe-box under the stairs!:oldgrin:

Maybe not   but when I was younger my carbon footprint was certainly smaller than the generation now   it's the blame game that gets me  the younger generation blaming the older  when they use as much    me I'll continue to carry on  I don't protest and I don't preach  but for those that do  it's simple  cut back on technology  walk recycle etc  if you don't do that then you are a hypocrite   

Posted
33 minutes ago, weirpig said:

Maybe not   but when I was younger my carbon footprint was certainly smaller than the generation now   it's the blame game that gets me  the younger generation blaming the older  when they use as much    me I'll continue to carry on  I don't protest and I don't preach  but for those that do  it's simple  cut back on technology  walk recycle etc  if you don't do that then you are a hypocrite   

yep cut out the school run and walk to school..i wont hold my breath though

Posted
25 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

yep cut out the school run and walk to school..i wont hold my breath though

I find this reply completely lacking in rationality in terms of this topic.

Who has parental responsibility, buys the vehicle and the fuel ?- not the children, I would suggest.

• Like 2

Posted
3 hours ago, ciel said:

I find this reply completely lacking in rationality in terms of this topic.

Who has parental responsibility, buys the vehicle and the fuel ?- not the children, I would suggest.

Blaming the younger generation is just pure ignorance as you mention. The young live in the world that the previous generations constructed, they have no choice.

The other factor that is often ignored now is how much more efficient things are. The lighting in our house for example is all LED, each bulb using no more than 14w compared to the 60-100w light bulbs previous generations might have used. There's also the fact that white goods in general use a lot less now than a lot then. The younger generation might have more in the way of technology now, but how does a smartphone consuming 2 watts compare to a record player in the past for example? I would not be surprised if younger people now use much less electricity than previous generations.

• Like 2

Posted
36 minutes ago, reef said:

Blaming the younger generation is just pure ignorance as you mention. The young live in the world that the previous generations constructed, they have no choice.

The other factor that is often ignored now is how much more efficient things are. The lighting in our house for example is all LED, each bulb using no more than 14w compared to the 60-100w light bulbs previous generations might have used. There's also the fact that white goods in general use a lot less now than a lot then. The younger generation might have more in the way of technology now, but how does a smartphone consuming 2 watts compare to a record player in the past for example? I would not be surprised if younger people now use much less electricity than previous generations.

Yes, some interesting points.

I believe the power of vacuum cleaners is considerable less than in the past, for the same cleaning power. I guess it's technological advance.

Undoubtedly, though, people fly more than they did when I was a child - but again children are being taken on flights not taking their parents.

The average uk house uses less and less energy every year.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms
On 26/09/2019 at 09:58, weirpig said:

Actually having seen the breakdown of the Eu  into various countries   it does show how bad we are doing.  Of course this is as a whole and not per person   but still the result aint great.  Germany however is woeful climate.pdfclimate.pdf

Report just released by the International Energy Output below...

It gives figures (predictions) out to 2050. 

It clearly shows that any attempts to restrict the CO2 to current levels world wide will require a lot of 'help' from the developing nations irrespective of what we do in the Western cultured world.

I still think that the only way out of this is by development of cheap smaller nuclear generating facilities. 

https://www.eia.gov/outlooks/ieo/pdf/ieo2019.pdf

The 'key' graph is the following -

clip_image002-10.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
9 hours ago, Midlands Ice Age said:

Report just released by the International Energy Output below...

It gives figures (predictions) out to 2050. 

It clearly shows that any attempts to restrict the CO2 to current levels world wide will require a lot of 'help' from the developing nations irrespective of what we do in the Western cultured world.

I still think that the only way out of this is by development of cheap smaller nuclear generating facilities. 

https://www.eia.gov/outlooks/ieo/pdf/ieo2019.pdf

The 'key' graph is the following -

clip_image002-10.jpg

It would certainly help, MIA...especially if thorium-based...?

Posted
11 hours ago, Devonian said:

Yes, some interesting points.

I believe the power of vacuum cleaners is considerable less than in the past, for the same cleaning power. I guess it's technological advance.

Undoubtedly, though, people fly more than they did when I was a child - but again children are being taken on flights not taking their parents.

The average uk house uses less and less energy every year.

Its true that house hold energy use is coming down   but individual consumption is has been going up   partially due to one person households going up. 

In 1970, few UK homes would have had a dishwasher and the array of computing and communications gadgets we use today, while the single pendant bulb in a room of old has, in many households, become a rack or set of recessed halogen spotlights. People also warmed their homes to a lower temperature 40 years ago - 14C in 1971 to 17C in 2008.    Also  Domestic energy use is up from 37m tonnes of oil equivalent (mtoe) in 1970 to 44 mtoe  nowadays , an increase of 18%

In regards to Electric consumption  1970m it was   7963 in 1974  compared to now which is around  10000  

Edited by weirpig

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.

On 30/09/2019 at 21:07, reef said:

Indeed, we shouldn't blame them.. 

Our modern way of life is the problem and parents spoil their children, give in to their demands, lazy etc.. 

Parents need to fix up and actually parent their children properly or don't bother have them.

• Like 2