Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Report Climate change ipcc

weirpig

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
1 hour ago, weirpig said:

Ive offered  solutions  you choose to ignore  them   My opinion is its too late  Geo engineering  is the only way to solve this issue    either way  protesting like rebellion do will have no affect.     Follow old Pankies lead   it may not work but at least go out fighting 

Well, off you go then, Mark...show us all how it's done?:oldgood:

• Like 1

Posted
24 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Well, off you go then, Mark...show us all how it's done?:oldgood:

Told you before  it's too late    but these guys think they can do something     let them carry on then Pete  I guarantee  it won't solve the issue  quick question  do you actually think these protests will help?   A few years left according to scientists  till the tipping point   focusing on the UK  won't stop that event happening   and if you think  our government had the power to influence  China  America  and other countries  you have more faith then me 

Edited by weirpig

Posted
On 31/05/2019 at 21:10, BornFromTheVoid said:

We've gone beyond the point where the changes can easily be absorbed. So, I guess it depends on what an "adult" should prioritise - the global ecosystem and the fate of all people (we're already in a mass extinction event and the poor are suffering worst), or, the western world and the value of share prices.

Majority of workers in this country (and other countries) have a fair whack of dependence on value of share prices, as most private sector worker pension schemes performance are linked to shares. As this will somewhat dictate their future prosperity the prioritisation is not as simple as you try to make it.

Posted
12 hours ago, Bristle boy said:

Anecdotal.

She is a close member of my family - you think when people talk about close family members it's mere 'anecdote'? I told you the truth...

Posted
28 minutes ago, Devonian said:

She is a close member of my family - you think when people talk about close family members it's mere 'anecdote'? I told you the truth...

It is still anecdotal. Bit like "This bloke in the pub told me that......."

Posted

There's a reason we don't have any political discussion on here anymore.

If people could continue without bringing all that stuff up in this thread then it will be able to continue. Otherwise its getting locked.

Your choice.

Cheers

Posted
5 minutes ago, reef said:

There's a reason we don't have any political discussion on here anymore.

If people could continue without bringing all that stuff up in this thread then it will be able to continue. Otherwise its getting locked.

Your choice.

Cheers

So referring to leaving rubbish on streets as a direct result of protestors, some of whom were/are climate change activists is not a fair contribution to this thread?

Check some of the other posts with references to the NHS, CND, shareholders, plus plenty more that are thinly veiled political statements. Some only made on here in last 24 hours, incl a couple by a mod.

Be fair to all.

Edited by Bristle boy
  • Like 1

Posted

All I said was that, should the environment collapse then everything-else will go with it...That's not political, it's simple ecology...?

• Like 3

Posted
9 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

So referring to leaving rubbish on streets as a direct result of protestors, some of whom were/are climate change activists is not a fair contribution to this thread?

Check some of the other posts with references to the NHS, CND, shareholders, plus plenty more that are thinly veiled political statements. Some only made on here in last 24 hours, incl a couple by a mod.

Be fair to all.

As you may or may not appreciate, its incredibly difficult to differentiate between genuine and political discussion in here.

Next time we'll just remove the lot, how's that?

Posted
2 minutes ago, reef said:

As you may or may not appreciate, its incredibly difficult to differentiate between genuine and political discussion in here.

Next time we'll just remove the lot, how's that?

So what was wrong with my post? What part do you consider political? A segment of the outraged people today were climate change protestors - they left a right mess on the streets of central London. How is that not anti-environment friendly? Why is that not relevant to this thread when others can prattle on about shareholders, cnd, nhs cuts, etc? By your logic you should be removing a fair few posts from last couple of days.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers
25 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

So what was wrong with my post? What part do you consider political? A segment of the outraged people today were climate change protestors - they left a right mess on the streets of central London. How is that not anti-environment friendly? Why is that not relevant to this thread when others can prattle on about shareholders, cnd, nhs cuts, etc? By your logic you should be removing a fair few posts from last couple of days.

Do you have any evidence to back this up though? You always complain about young people littering rubbish and provide no evidence to back these claims up. Yes a small minority do but painting climate change protesters and young people as people who always dump rubbish is grossly inaccurate.

I get the impression some people can't use the 'snowflakes' thread to complain about young people so are coming in here and are targeting the same group of people again. Clearly there is a fine line between crossing politics given policies, decisions and economics can have a direct impact on climate change and the environment. This may play into IPCC projections but conversely here has just been rants about protesters which has run its course like the snowflake thread. This has therefore taken focus off the IPCC report itself.

Edited by Quicksilver1989
  • Like 3

Posted
11 hours ago, Quicksilver1989 said:

Do you have any evidence to back this up though? You always complain about young people littering rubbish and provide no evidence to back these claims up. Yes a small minority do but painting climate change protesters and young people as people who always dump rubbish is grossly inaccurate.

I get the impression some people can't use the 'snowflakes' thread to complain about young people so are coming in here and are targeting the same group of people again. Clearly there is a fine line between crossing politics given policies, decisions and economics can have a direct impact on climate change and the environment. This may play into IPCC projections but conversely here has just been rants about protesters which has run its course like the snowflake thread. This has therefore taken focus off the IPCC report itself.

To be honest  the IPCC report  and protesters goes   hand in hand    I dont think anyone has had a rant about protesters   without at least putting their opinion across why they dont think it will work   For my part  ive constantly criticised  Rebel for what i perceive   as wholly ineffective campaign   i have given reasons  why i think it does not work   and even given other avenues they could or need to explore    Many will not agree  however that is my opinion.      

Posted
24 minutes ago, weirpig said:

To be honest  the IPCC report  and protesters goes   hand in hand    I dont think anyone has had a rant about protesters   without at least putting their opinion across why they dont think it will work   For my part  ive constantly criticised  Rebel for what i perceive   as wholly ineffective campaign   i have given reasons  why i think it does not work   and even given other avenues they could or need to explore    Many will not agree  however that is my opinion.      

What protestors, Mark?:oldgrin:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

I've just posted elsewhere that the XR/Greta demonstrations have achieved , in a matter of months, what many on here have been trying to achieve for over 2 decades/a lifetime?

Like any 'idea' first someone has to have it, then , if good, it has to spread until it reaches a point of no return & spreads like wildfire.

For over 2 decades paid deniers, with the help of the elite controlled MSM ( 5 owners have over 80% of UK media!) kept 'climate change' in permanent , asymmetrical, debate.

Then along came direct action , they utilised the MSM to promote their cause & now everywhere folk are talking of how dreadful things have been allowed to become.

I have always moaned about how outdated & expurgated IPCC reports are by the time they come to us so the demo's have provided a great 'catch up' to the current state of our understanding of the peril we face.

No more 'climate change' ( the deniers saw to that!) and straight into 'Climate Crisis/Climate Chaos.

Solving the crisis needs a global seed change in focus and industrial activity, if not we may as well increase violin production 20,000% so we can all fiddle as the planet burns!

• Like 1

Posted

Is it really any surprise that the scientifically-literate (climate-wise) are getting a wee bit 'frustrated'?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-48531019

Edited by Ed Stone

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers
45 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Is it really any surprise that the scientifically-literate (climate-wise) are getting a wee bit 'frustrated'?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-48531019

So Trump says climate change goes both ways.... well it did before we started pumping tonnes of CO2 into the atmosphere. Now it's only getting warmer.

He states the 1890s saw the worst hurricanes but in fact the activity since the mid 1990s has been much worse when looking at the US and Caribbean.

Furthermore the elevated levels of activity in recent decades has been fueled by increased moisture due to warming Sea Surface Temperatures, whilst high activity in earlier years was due to La Nina events in the equatorial Pacific. This graph of SST against hurricane activity sums things up rather well. I can't find one covering the most recent years but it shows a very similar pattern.

image.thumb.png.26bad0dec41b3fdc67bcc98ee12132b5.png

As climate change will increase the Sea Surface Temperatures over the tropical North Atlantic, more energy will fuel the hurricanes that form unless El Nino events in the Pacific become more common.

Meanwhile he complains that tornado activity was higher in the 1970s but tornadoes are not triggered by warming temperatures. They are instead caused by instances where cold arctic air collides with humid sub-tropical air from the Gulf of Mexico. Given the Arctic is warming much faster then the Tropics, tornadoes could become less common as the climate warms further.

So I'd stick to what the climate scientists say Donald, go back to the other side of the North Atlantic.

• Like 2

Posted
23 minutes ago, Quicksilver1989 said:

So Trump says climate change goes both ways.... well it did before we started pumping tonnes of CO2 into the atmosphere. Now it's only getting warmer.

He states the 1890s saw the worst hurricanes but in fact the activity since the mid 1990s has been much worse when looking at the US and Caribbean.

Furthermore the elevated levels of activity in recent decades has been fueled by increased moisture due to warming Sea Surface Temperatures, whilst high activity in earlier years was due to La Nina events in the equatorial Pacific. This graph of SST against hurricane activity sums things up rather well. I can't find one covering the most recent years but it shows a very similar pattern.

image.thumb.png.26bad0dec41b3fdc67bcc98ee12132b5.png

As climate change will increase the Sea Surface Temperatures over the tropical North Atlantic, more energy will fuel the hurricanes that form unless El Nino events in the Pacific become more common.

Meanwhile he complains that tornado activity was higher in the 1970s but tornadoes are not triggered by warming temperatures. They are instead caused by instances where cold arctic air collides with humid sub-tropical air from the Gulf of Mexico. Given the Arctic is warming much faster then the Tropics, tornadoes could become less common as the climate warms further.

So I'd stick to what the climate scientists say Donald, go back to the other side of the North Atlantic.

He's managed to take a subject that can only be truly apprehended scientifically, and turned it into a pile of disparate beliefs that can only be 'stitched together' through the adoption of a specific ideology...?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy
38 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

He's managed to take a subject that can only be truly apprehended scientifically, and turned it into a pile of disparate beliefs that can only be 'stitched together' through the adoption of a specific ideology...?

But in the early days of our struggles to let folk see the science we came across a lot of this kind of denial didn't we Pete?

Most all of these folk are now well and truly batting for our side and a handful are now post grad ( and beyond) climate scientists!

I think he is playing to the pit ( not the gallery?) so those 'too cleva to think' & those incapable of higher thinking have something to make them feel 'cleva'?

If so then it is a cruel act of manipulation that will end up costing those mouthing his words most.?

But then we saw him do similar with the rust belt & promises of work did we not?

I'll tell you what I find odd.

When we got into this my warnings were taken as 'extremism', 'doomsaying' and much worse yet here we are.

My understandings of our peril have not altered, in fact they have firmed up as science has caught up, but now the majority of those with an opinion on what we face are stood in line with me?

I used to spit back at those calling me names " what do you call a doomsayer when the doom has arrived?"

Well here we are.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Protests over the weekend in America  this time outside of the New Yorkktimes office.  Around 70 people arrested as they blockaded the front door and gathered outside to highlight how bad current reporting is regarding Climate change    Spokeswoman Eve Mosher   spoke outside the building stating  Saturday's protest was meant to call attention to how news outlets cover climate change.  however she did state that  the newspaper does "good reporting and that Extinction Rebellion respects the work of news outlets such as the Times,   So there we have it  gain the respect of Rebellion  be one of the better new outlets at reporting the problem   and get your building ambushed by the buggers.  In the UK  however fleet street isnt on Rebellions radar  this weekend the target was    Marlow.  Yes the high street of Marlow came to a standstill  as a mass die in was held outside of the new barclays bank.    One protester was quoted as saying.  “People might think our actions were a bit extreme, but they haven’t been made aware that we are in an existential crisis and everybody’s lives are dependent on us, as we want to get to net zero of carbon emissions by 2025..  So there we have it  it seems that rebellion think the crisis is so dangerous  that protesting in Marlow  was the only way to highlight the point.   the blokade on the high street however    caused a long tailback of traffic in both directions with many motorists shouting obscenities at the protestors, with Extinction Rebellion (XR) replicating this every 10 to 15 minutes.  see image for the utter chaos it caused    who needs London city when you have marlow.

image.thumb.png.8a6258649717358c2f5bd77dd48f82e2.png

Edited by weirpig

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
1 hour ago, weirpig said:

Protests over the weekend in America  this time outside of the New Yorkktimes office.  Around 70 people arrested as they blockaded the front door and gathered outside to highlight how bad current reporting is regarding Climate change    Spokeswoman Eve Mosher   spoke outside the building stating  Saturday's protest was meant to call attention to how news outlets cover climate change.  however she did state that  the newspaper does "good reporting and that Extinction Rebellion respects the work of news outlets such as the Times,   So there we have it  gain the respect of Rebellion  be one of the better new outlets at reporting the problem   and get your building ambushed by the buggers.  In the UK  however fleet street isnt on Rebellions radar  this weekend the target was    Marlow.  Yes the high street of Marlow came to a standstill  as a mass die in was held outside of the new barclays bank.    One protester was quoted as saying.  “People might think our actions were a bit extreme, but they haven’t been made aware that we are in an existential crisis and everybody’s lives are dependent on us, as we want to get to net zero of carbon emissions by 2025..  So there we have it  it seems that rebellion think the crisis is so dangerous  that protesting in Marlow  was the only way to highlight the point.   the blokade on the high street however    caused a long tailback of traffic in both directions with many motorists shouting obscenities at the protestors, with Extinction Rebellion (XR) replicating this every 10 to 15 minutes.  see image for the utter chaos it caused    who needs London city when you have marlow.

image.thumb.png.8a6258649717358c2f5bd77dd48f82e2.png

reminds me of this...

gxuM60O.gif

• Like 1

Posted

In the obligatory daily climate change tale of woe on BBC is this
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-48755154
The irony is that the need to escape economic collapse will come about due to over zealous measures the greens want to impose to halt their imaginary Armageddon.

• Like 5