Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Report Climate change ipcc

weirpig

Posted
44 minutes ago, weirpig said:

Thats my point!     It was and still is to a certain extent frowned upon   and harshly punished  Thats why you dont see the Rebel crew out there.  Virtual signalling weasels.  The  main contribution to climate change is China  solve that you go a huge way to solving the problem   But guess what  they wont go and protest over there because of the punishment they may get.  And yet you hear the same waffle from them when interviewed "  im willing to sacrifice my liberty for the earth"   rubbish  

I suspect if they did 'go over there' you'd be criticising them for all the CO2 they were responsible for in getting there. Criticism delivered from a computer chair is a 'heads I win, tails you lose' kinda thing...

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

The main problem is that us lot in the west already have our developed economies, built on the back of cheap fossil fuels (cumulatively, the UK has produced about 40% of China's emissions in total, despite having less than 5% of the population). The standard of living has been raised in the west, infrastructure built, all that. We are the ones in the best position to invest in renewable technologies, take the lead in advancing into a low carbon or carbon neutral economic system with minimal impact on our population and standard of living.

Developing nations don't have that privilege. We do. And we can pass the know-how and technological improvements onto developing nations so that they require less investment in polluting energy sources. And in the process we will still contribute to reducing global emissions alone and improving the environment. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted
15 minutes ago, Devonian said:

I suspect if they did 'go over there' you'd be criticising them for all the CO2 they were responsible for in getting there. Criticism delivered from a computer chair is a 'heads I win, tails you lose' kinda thing...

Unbelievable  i blame folks like you for the situation we are in.   As you know   We have very limited time.  focusing on a small nation with some of the best climate regs in the world wont stop anything.  If all of these protest groups think like you  then no wonder the world is doomed.   A quick example.   If you were a small child  and you were living in fear from a Bully,  A large vile individual Who would like nothing more than to ruin your life.  He is surrounded by a group of other bullies  however these bullies vary in nastiness..     You have only one opportunity to stop him from ending your life what do you do?.   Do you pick on one of the other less nasty bullies and hope to defeat him thus in turn converting the bully  and stopping him from hurting you. Or do you confront the main bully head on knowing full well you defeat him you are safe.     One chance  one battle before  time is up.  What do you do.     If you pick the former you are a fool. and that is exactly what these protesters are doing.  

Edit just seen the likes for your post   my god the world is finished 

Edited by weirpig
  • Like 1

Posted
22 minutes ago, weirpig said:

Unbelievable  i blame folks like you for the situation we are in.   As you know   We have very limited time.  focusing on a small nation with some of the best climate regs in the world wont stop anything.  If all of these protest groups think like you  then no wonder the world is doomed.   A quick example.   If you were a small child  and you were living in fear from a Bully,  A large vile individual Who would like nothing more than to ruin your life.  He is surrounded by a group of other bullies  however these bullies vary in nastiness..     You have only one opportunity to stop him from ending your life what do you do?.   Do you pick on one of the other less nasty bullies and hope to defeat him thus in turn converting the bully  and stopping him from hurting you. Or do you confront the main bully head on knowing full well you defeat him you are safe.     One chance  one battle before  time is up.  What do you do.     If you pick the former you are a fool. and that is exactly what these protesters are doing.  

You do what you can...

What do you do? Have you been to China to protest and if not why not?

Isn't China a big polluter because people elsewhere buy it's products? So, isn't there another way???

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers
30 minutes ago, weirpig said:

Unbelievable  i blame folks like you for the situation we are in.   As you know   We have very limited time.  focusing on a small nation with some of the best climate regs in the world wont stop anything. 

Lol that isn’t really saying much is it?

If all of these protest groups think like you  then no wonder the world is doomed.   

Are Brexit protesters virtue signallers as well? You seem particularly keen to pick on / bully environmentalists….

A quick example.   If you were a small child  and you were living in fear from a Bully, 

I don’t think the UK is the equivalent of a small child, we are a major world player (for now whilst we are still in the EU).

A large vile individual Who would like nothing more than to ruin your life. 

Did you see Born from the voids post above? The UK did exactly the same thing when it was developing. So we should therefore be classed as big bullies as well.

He is surrounded by a group of other bullies  however these bullies vary in nastiness..     You have only one opportunity to stop him from ending your life what do you do?.   Do you pick on one of the other less nasty bullies and hope to defeat him thus in turn converting the bully  and stopping him from hurting you. Or do you confront the main bully head on knowing full well you defeat him you are safe.    

You don’t pay any attention to the US intriguingly. Even if companies try to breach regulations in China, they are investing in climate change more than any other nation. Emissions decreased 8% from 2014 to 2015 for example. Not enough I know but at least they aren’t reversing the trend and pedalling denialist tosh like a certain leader of a western country…

One chance  one battle before  time is up.  What do you do.     If you pick the former you are a fool. and that is exactly what these protesters are doing.  

The point you are missing is that our governments and the US knew about the threat of climate change from the mid-80s onwards. We were in a position to do something about it but refused. We are still in a leading position to develop technologies which could speed up a green revolution. So why haven’t we done it ?

The fact is that we have been too slow to shift from CO2 to renewable energies, if we had done it would have been easier to shift to cleaner technologies and have cleaner air but we haven’t. Other developing countries have therefore been unable to move to cleaner technologies due to our sluggish progress.

Given we are in such a powerful position to do something about climate change but we still have deniers like Boris Johnson in government and a lack of progress, the protesting is justified. If western countries speed up the adaption to renewable energies it is easier for everyone else to follow.

Or is the UK just the equivalent of a small child?

Edited by Quicksilver1989
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
Just now, Devonian said:

You do what you can...

What do you do? Have you been to China to protest and if not why not?

Isn't China a big polluter because people elsewhere buy it's products? So, isn't there another way???

I dont protest  because i dont believe the experts. For me it  is already  too late  geo eng  is the only way    However the rebel crowd  still think there is time to do something    but hand on heart  faffing about in this country stopping traffic and holding a protest at a museum will not help anything.   

In regard to China  and buying products from elsewhere.  According to the experts we have only a few years.  can you imagine the public or any governments  ours included  sourcing products from anywhere else.   Where would we source it from?  Our own country?. not a chance  abroad?.  but where the USA?. just as bad as china     there just is not enough time.  Hey but at least  we are safe in the knowledge that our government is banning plastic straws  and bringing in limited thermostats for our homes.    I agree  that things need to be done   but where you and i disagree is how we do it    

• Like 1

Posted
18 minutes ago, Quicksilver1989 said:

Again i give up.  and you are supposed to believe in this stuff   you actually think the UK  is a major player?.  Jeez and i am a nationalist     if western countries speed up other will follow.   I admire your optimism   but dont be surprised if you are struggling to keep your head above water whilst muttering i was wrong. 

edit  why i didnt mention USA  was because the replies were to the article posted above   

Edited by weirpig
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
2 minutes ago, weirpig said:

I dont protest  because i dont believe the experts.

By that, I take it you mean you don't understand the experts, Mark?

Posted
Just now, Ed Stone said:

By that, I take it you mean you don't understand the experts, Mark?

No  Pete.  Its to late in my opinion    it already passed the tipping point

Posted
22 hours ago, weirpig said:

I dont protest  because i dont believe the experts. For me it  is already  too late  geo eng  is the only way    However the rebel crowd  still think there is time to do something    but hand on heart  faffing about in this country stopping traffic and holding a protest at a museum will not help anything.   

In regard to China  and buying products from elsewhere.  According to the experts we have only a few years.  can you imagine the public or any governments  ours included  sourcing products from anywhere else.   Where would we source it from?  Our own country?. not a chance  abroad?.  but where the USA?. just as bad as china     there just is not enough time.  Hey but at least  we are safe in the knowledge that our government is banning plastic straws  and bringing in limited thermostats for our homes.    I agree  that things need to be done   but where you and i disagree is how we do it    

How do we do it then?

Posted

Bought a cantilever parasol pour Le Jardin yesterday at Argos - it was made in China; our garden furniture cover is Chinese made; a set of tables we have in da house is Chinese made; the list of Chinese-made household goods goes on....and will continue to go on...

I'm afraid that particular horse has long bolted.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow events / Wind storms
30 minutes ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

The plastic straw thing is a farce. It’ll take 4 years to do that and then another 4 years to ban plastic lids or something.

I agree, if they're going to take action they need to sort the lot out at the same time, although I'm not sure what they could replace plastic lids with, plastics are 1000 years to decompose and the equivalent, polystyrene can take much much longer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers
17 minutes ago, Essex Easterly. said:

I agree, if they're going to take action they need to sort the lot out at the same time, although I'm not sure what they could replace plastic lids with, plastics are 1000 years to decompose and the equivalent, polystyrene can take much much longer.

Some sort of waxed paper. I think there’s a lot of new composite materials coming into existence which will do the job quite adequately. Don’t think recycled plastics are the answer, they still gradually breakdown with each use and it’s the micro plastic pieces which we can’t keep from getting into the water sources that cause the big problems

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy
1 hour ago, weirpig said:

The Latest from The rebellion crowd    Yawn   yet again missing the main point 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-48470623

Would you like to enlighten us please weirpig?

I do not know enough about the level of atmospheric mixing aircraft create (through the full depth of the atmosphere) nor do I know the full impacts of condensation trials on surface temps?

I haven't the faintest notion of how close aircraft fly to (or above) the tropopause on near arctic overflys nor the impacts of unused fuel from the engines esp. at height with the chemical interactions such complex hydrocarbons will have esp. on Ozone?

As for my personal take on the 3rd runway?

It is exactly the same as my take on the tory pushing for fracking in the UK.

It will not be my pocket that feels the benefit but I will suffer the consequences along with the rest of us?

• Like 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, Gray-Wolf said:

Would you like to enlighten us please weirpig?

I do not know enough about the level of atmospheric mixing aircraft create (through the full depth of the atmosphere) nor do I know the full impacts of condensation trials on surface temps?

I haven't the faintest notion of how close aircraft fly to (or above) the tropopause on near arctic overflys nor the impacts of unused fuel from the engines esp. at height with the chemical interactions such complex hydrocarbons will have esp. on Ozone?

As for my personal take on the 3rd runway?

It is exactly the same as my take on the tory pushing for fracking in the UK.

It will not be my pocket that feels the benefit but I will suffer the consequences along with the rest of us?

My point   and its one i keep making   They are targeting Heathrow  because of another runway  yet totally ignore the fact that   China has now just completed the biggest airport in the world  20 miles away from the second biggest airport in the world.  But no protests  no blockades  no drones.   and yet one of their lead members is a chinese national. YEN CHIT CHONG       Its akin to being against Horse racing  but ignoring the grand national  and protesting at Great Yarmouth. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Just on the off chance people aren't aware of this logical fallacy - Whataboutism

• Thanks 2

Posted

Very similar  to headinthesandism   its a common problem mainly in the left wing middle classes.   symptoms given off are often of superiority and are under the illusion that there ideas will work.    people who suffer often compare their symptoms  to being  pi$$ed on Moet.       Symptoms  vary in length but often last to just beyond the world burns.   

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
38 minutes ago, weirpig said:

My point   and its one i keep making   They are targeting Heathrow  because of another runway  yet totally ignore the fact that   China has now just completed the biggest airport in the world  20 miles away from the second biggest airport in the world.  But no protests  no blockades  no drones.   and yet one of their lead members is a chinese national. YEN CHIT CHONG       Its akin to being against Horse racing  but ignoring the grand national  and protesting at Great Yarmouth. 

Sometimes I think 'missing the point' is the best thing to do? Have you just got back from the Climate Change Deniers' Annual Conference?

image.thumb.png.2a9b44079bc9c73389627f4cdaeace3e.png

Edited by Ed Stone

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
1 hour ago, weirpig said:

its funny..because i was listening to their spokesman on the radio..when pressed on the whole china issue etc..they couldn't answer anything apart from saying well "china has committed to banning plastic bags in the next 5 years"..well that's alright then..:wallbash:

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Ed Stone said:

Sometimes I think 'missing the point' is the best thing to do? Have you just got back from the Climate Change Deniers' Annual Conference?

image.thumb.png.2a9b44079bc9c73389627f4cdaeace3e.png

I believe in climate change Pete   not sure what your point is    

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold

@weirpig what is your solution then? It's east to criticise not so easy to find alternative solutions or should we all just give up. Those of us that live in Britain have to focus on the British goverment. If the UK stopped buying Chinese products we could influence their policies but you need to get your own house in order first.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Long warm summer evenings. Cold frosty sunny winter days.

Where has reasoned argument gone!!!!

We talk about banning plastic this and that as if it was plastic that was at fault. It is man and especially the throw away attitude that's at fault and the failure to deal with our own waste. Companies we have paid to deal with our waste have in the name of profit sent this waste to third world countries and these companies operating under poor regulatory regimes dump it at sea or situations where it is poorly managed and polluting.

In our drive to improve products we see use of so called wonder products such as micro beads in all sorts of items from face scrubs to toothpaste yet no thought as to how these micro beads react or are broken down once they enter our water courses or seas is given. If people think plastic is bad wait until you see the impact of this micro bead technology on the planets sea life!!

And off course we now are seeing more and more use of nano technologies in products you have no idea about. It is clear to me that the next asbestos or nicotine effect will be from nano technology.

We have this argument about carbon and how we must at all cost go electric vehicle asap as if this will automatically cut CO2 overnight. Anyone who thinks this correct is living in cuckoo land. The amount of carbon and energy required to produce the batteries alone for electric vehicles together with the infrastructure and additional power generation to run all these additional electric vehicles far out weighs that needed today thus producing more CO2 not less