Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Report Climate change ipcc

weirpig

Posted
6 hours ago, cheeky_monkey said:

there was also a massive spike in the rest of london for CO2 emission and NO2 pollution due to lots of stationary and slow moving traffic caused by the protesters

Was there? According to who/what? I'm not aware CO2 is monitored in such a way in London.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
8 hours ago, cheeky_monkey said:

there was also a massive spike in the rest of london for CO2 emission and NO2 pollution due to lots of stationary and slow moving traffic caused by the protesters

Not wanting to be involved in your let's-make-up-figures-for-effect game, my original 49% figure was in fact a typo...the actual reduction was 45%. Sorry about that, peeps!:oops::oldgrin:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
On 03/05/2019 at 02:00, Ed Stone said:

Not wanting to be involved in your let's-make-up-figures-for-effect game, my original 49% figure was in fact a typo...the actual reduction was 45%. Sorry about that, peeps!:oops::oldgrin:

not made up came from the university of surrey data they have monitoring stations all over London..and not just one street in London

Edited by cheeky_monkey
  • Like 1

Posted
11 hours ago, cheeky_monkey said:

not made up came from the university of surrey data they have monitoring stations all over London..and not just one street in London

Interesting.

I found the university and their 'Global centre for clean air research' but I can't find any data. Where did you get the data from?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave
On 07/05/2019 at 21:06, Jayces said:

The IPBES Global Assessment on biodiversity was released yesterday at https://www.ipbes.net/ and makes grim reading. It lists climate change as an increasing factor in the state of life on our planet. Although the report says it's not too late to act it does stress that changes on a global scale have to happen now if we are to prevent mass extinctions on a global scale of our animal and plant life in the near future.

The headline is that 25% of all animal and plant species face extinction within decades.

The message is that Climate Change and biodiversity issues need to be dealt with together as they are inter connected.

Scary stuff but it's clear from watching the news yesterday and seeing the newspaper headlines today that here in the UK the potential extinction of humankind isn't as important as another royal baby as only 2 major newspapers had it on their front page this morning and the BBC dedicated 37 minutes of the 6 PM evening news last night to the royal baby and 2 minutes to the future of our planet.

Makes one wonder when 'we' will wake up and realize we need to actually listen to the scientists, accept the evidence presented to us and come together on a global scale and fix the mess we have created.

The end of the world stuff has been going on for hundreds of years and along with extinctions/wipe outs and warming stories for the last 30 years bla bla

I guess the BBC felt a ‘royal baby ‘was more news worthy then another alarmist report . Looking at the report with the usual ‘maybe’ missing data etc etc I can see some nice pics of some polar bears walking around garbage dump if you like that sort of stuff.

• Like 1

Posted
6 hours ago, stewfox said:

The end of the world stuff has been going on for hundreds of years and along with extinctions/wipe outs and warming stories for the last 30 years bla bla

I guess the BBC felt a ‘royal baby ‘was more news worthy then another alarmist report . Looking at the report with the usual ‘maybe’ missing data etc etc I can see some nice pics of some polar bears walking around garbage dump if you like that sort of stuff.

As per usual, not an iota of evidence or data - just the conviction that comes from deeply held cynicism.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers
6 hours ago, stewfox said:

Ah yes, lets just shrug our shoulders, ignore those with the most knowledge on the subject and celebrate the birth of some baby instead. 

It's not as if global temperatures have risen faster then any other period in the last 50 years, it's not as if our forests are being chopped down or that humans are threatening habitats, its not as if the oceans are filling up with plastic and its not as if we are filling our atmosphere with dirty air.

Who cares about the future? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted
19 hours ago, Quicksilver1989 said:

Ah yes, lets just shrug our shoulders, ignore those with the most knowledge on the subject and celebrate the birth of some baby instead. 

It's not as if global temperatures have risen faster then any other period in the last 50 years, it's not as if our forests are being chopped down or that humans are threatening habitats, its not as if the oceans are filling up with plastic and its not as if we are filling our atmosphere with dirty air.

Who cares about the future? 

I think we all care

I’d be happy with £1 on a plastic bag or £500 for throwing litter on the ground.

There was a thing on the Radio 4 today ,scientist looking at ways of increasing artic sea ice cover but I can’t find it via google ?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.
18 minutes ago, stewfox said:

I think we all care

I’d be happy with £1 on a plastic bag or £500 for throwing litter on the ground.

There was a thing on the Radio 4 today ,scientist looking at ways of increasing artic sea ice cover but I can’t find it via google ?

It's called geoengineering and has been thought of before in other ways.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/environment/refreeze-polar-regions-to-reverse-climate-change-expert-says/ar-AABaQjG?ocid=spartanntp

Edited by D.V.R
  • Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, D.V.R said:

Geoengineering without addressing the source of the problem is (I'm afraid) a cover up. It's a little like using perfume to mend a broke sewer...it's a symptom of the point blank refusal of most of humanity to do what is needed.

• Like 3

Posted
3 hours ago, stewfox said:

I think we all care

What was wrong with those waxed-paper shopping bags we had in the 1960s, Stew? They were, after all, 100% biodegradable...

• Like 1

Posted

Deepest ever dive, into the Mariana Trench, finds plastic bag!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-48230157

Edited by Ed Stone
  • Like 2

Posted
33 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Deepest ever dive, into the Mariana Trench, finds plastic bag!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-48230157

Yes, in a way it's sort of like the reverse of the famous 'blue marble' of Apollo (17 or was it 8?) days. Our waste is everywhere, from the very depth of the oceans to the very top of the atmosphere. And yet some still don't think action is urgently needed.....

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

sound like a pic n mix bag from Tesco??

Posted
2 hours ago, cheeky_monkey said:

sound like a pic n mix bag from Tesco??

You're plumbing new depths of insouciance....

Edited by Devonian
  • Like 2

Posted

To be fair they don't know what they saw in the Trench but it makes good news 

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, stewfox said:

To be fair they don't know what they saw in the Trench but it makes good news 

An entirely new phylum of animal, perhaps? Hallucigenia iloolikeaplasticbaggii? One of the Global Warming conspirators had swum down there and planted it?:wallbash:

Edited by Ed Stone
  • Like 2

Posted
18 hours ago, Ed Stone said:

An entirely new phylum of animal, perhaps? Hallucigenia iloolikeaplasticbaggii? One of the Global Warming conspirators had swum down there and planted it?:wallbash:

Apologies I didn't read the tabloids just what was said , regardless alarming to be sure

"""However, Stephanie Fitzeherbert, a spokeswoman for Vescovo’s team, says that information can’t be confirmed. “No candy wrappers,” she wrote in an email to the National Post. She did confirm, however, that whatever Vescovo found at the bottom of the ocean floor is, “something that resembled man-made waste” but could not say whether it was a plastic bag.""""

https://nationalpost.com/news/media-reports-of-a-plastic-bag-and-candy-wrappers-lying-on-the-worlds-deepest-ocean-floor-may-not-be-true

• Thanks 1

Posted

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers
3 hours ago, weirpig said:

Wow im  Shocked!!!   Lets hope  protests happen over there     

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-48353341

Protesting has actually become much more common in China during the 2010s and the environment / climate change is now the main cause of protest.

https://lithub.com/can-environmental-activism-succeed-in-china/

If people protested in that area of the world during earlier years people would face punishments for it that are much harsher then ours. They didn't have the rights that we do. The Chinese government say they are trying to tackle climate change and improve air quality but they clearly aren't doing enough....

Lets hope this source of CFCs gets eliminated ASAP because the Ozone hole was steadily recovering.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Quicksilver1989 said:

Protesting has actually become much more common in China during the 2010s and the environment / climate change is now the main cause of protest.

https://lithub.com/can-environmental-activism-succeed-in-china/

If people protested in that area of the world during earlier years people would face punishments for it that are much harsher then ours. They didn't have the rights that we do. The Chinese government say they are trying to tackle climate change and improve air quality but they clearly aren't doing enough....

Lets hope this source of CFCs gets eliminated ASAP because the Ozone hole was steadily recovering.

Thats my point!     It was and still is to a certain extent frowned upon   and harshly punished  Thats why you dont see the Rebel crew out there.  Virtual signalling weasels.  The  main contribution to climate change is China  solve that you go a huge way to solving the problem   But guess what  they wont go and protest over there because of the punishment they may get.  And yet you hear the same waffle from them when interviewed "  im willing to sacrifice my liberty for the earth"   rubbish